Somebody at Ferrari hates me... no Stradale for Brian... again... | FerrariChat

Somebody at Ferrari hates me... no Stradale for Brian... again...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brian C. Stradale, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which is most likely?

1. Brian will get his Stradale this third time around (in May).

2. Not this time, but next time, just in time for Monterey.

3. Brian will keep getting bumped until the last Stradale produced.

4. Brian will never get a car from FNA; only used F-cars for him.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Unbelievable... sorry, but I have to vent to someone that will at least pretend to care... and that would not appear to include anybody at Ferrari... <sigh> :mad:

To recap, I put down a hefty deposit for a new 360 in Oct 2000... I was told it would be about 18 months... 2 1/2 years later, I was still at least six months away, likely more. Okay, I accept the many "reasonable" excuses for this, but figure in all likelihood I was steadily being bumped by the preferred Ferrari customers. :( One of the ugly realities of loving Ferrari's cars.

But good fortune struck... they announced the Stradale, which is essentially my dream car... a track-oriented street car... I jump immediately, moving my ancient deposit over to the Stradale... I'm third on the list! Good chance for Nov 2003 delivery! :D All the waiting has paid off handsomely!

A few months later, I'm finalizing my order, car goes into production, car comes out of production, car gets on boat, ... several weeks pass as I wait for that call saying "you're car will be here in two days". No call. Several weeks later than reasonable a call finally comes, but the voice on the phone says "We have a problem." Arrgghh!! :( I'm told the car was damaged in transit... but no pics of damaged car can be produced. Not even an explanation of how it was damaged. :mad: Anyone with a pulse (including many F-chatters) assumes that, in fact, some "preferred" Ferrari customer decided he wanted a Titanium Stradale and FNA gave him the next one coming over on a boat... in this case, mine... or, as I have been corrected by Ferrari, the car is not 'mine' until its sold to me... so, let me re-state: "in this case, the car that I ordered".

Ferrari doesn't ever really apologize, but they do ensure that they'll put my order into production immediately... should be March delivery. So, we rewrite the order mid-Dec... and after a few weeks of waiting, in the first week of January, I'm told my order is going into production and should indeed be a March delivery. Next notification will be when it comes out of production... sometime in Feb.

So, I miss out on driving my new Stradale to Cavallino... but I should still make the rest of the year's events! Monterey easy; local parade, no problem; Poker Run in May, surely; even Fiesta Ferrari in late April should be safe; the FCA FMoD car show in March unlikely... but maybe. I book everything.

I ping FMoD yesterday to inquire status... today, I get a reply! It says, in a congratulatory note, that my car will soon be going into production... should be completed in late March... and should show up late April or early May!! Lucky me!!

WTF!!!! I was already told all that six weeks ago with six week earlier dates!!! :mad:

Given history to date, the obvious answer is that some preferred Ferrari customer decided he wanted a Titanium Stradale, and was given the next one coming out of production... mine. Ooops... I mean, "the one I ordered". So, no Fiesta Ferrari this year... maybe next year. Probably no Poker Run either. :( Time to cancel some hotel reservations.

So, here I go a third time. What's the odds that the car makes it to me before the next preferred Ferrari customer comes along and snatches it away? I guess I have two more shots at it before Monterey.

I absolutely hate the way Ferrari does business... but then I guess that's because Ferrari hates me... if Ferrari loved me, if I was a "preferred" customer, then maybe I'd like it. Hmmmm... NOT! :mad:

Sorry about this rant... but I had to vent to someone who cares... nobody at Ferrari does, obviously... besides, since I've been telling all of you that my Stradale was coming in March... I was going to have to explain sooner or later!! (Or end up looking like I am full of $#it.) <sigh>

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Id be so upset if I was in your situation too. Its like you keep getting awaken from your favorite dream.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would never thought I would actually say this, but if they screw you again go and buy a Gallardo and strip it down a bit. And make sure "they" know what you did and why.

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Unfortunately, when the seller is in a position like Ferrari is, it doesn't really accomplish anything if one buyer backs out to make a point. It would be unlikely that they would feel the wrath. Rather, you would only be making someone else's day by providing a Stradale earlier than expected, thus actually backfiring completely.

5. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Brian C. Stradale... That is unbelievable... and un-acceptable!! :( I would be screaming blue murder!! How does the salesman have the guts to place the call to let you know that again you have to wait to be served!!

With what has been going on now I am getting nervous about my order...late March delivery!

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Buy a GT2.

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    That totally sucks! I don't know if I'd ever buy a new Ferrari now. Then again, judging by their attitude, they probably don't care anyway.

8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Get in touch with another dealer. Im assuming your dealing through your dealer and directly with FNA. Perhaps another will look out for you better.

OR

Buy a really great condition 355 and with the leftover money buy a 355 challenge car for the track.

OR

Get a real Ferrari and buy a Daytona!!! Then again im a tad biased.

I do feel your pain. It sucks how this apparently works. Buy a GT3 and blow the doors off all the stradale drivers on the track? Probably wouldnt make you feel better.

Terry

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Brian... Geez, man, i'm so sorry... This whole thing really sucks... i hope they come through this time... Unreal...

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    brian, your story makes me sick! i hate the f factory. dont let them get away with this treatment. get a gt2/3 or gallardo. the stradale was my dream car too but i'm reading it is nothing but a stock 360 with hype and $40k extra. there loss your gain

11. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Brian,

This actually makes sense. I thought the deadline for Feb builds was mid
    through late Nov. When you said you placed an order mid-Dec I assumed it would be a March build and that the dealer was being overly optimistic about the delivery date.

Buy a GT2 or GT3? Life's too short to drive Porsches. :)

12. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    But not long enough to wait for Ferraris.

Anyway, Brian, it's up to you now. Do you want to keep your deposit, or not? Do you want to wait, or not? I'd clarify with your dealer if they, indeed, were too optimistic re: delivery date; if so, you're not actually getting screwed, but rather they were trying to assuade you after your loss (BTW, did you ever get an evidence surrounding the damage of your car? pictures, perhaps? a copy of the damage report, etc. Surely there must be a paper trail, no?).
    If the dealer does say that it was their mistake then whatever; if not, and they do reveal you got bumped, then you've got to decide if you're okay with infusing your $$ into this sort of biz model/cust. service.
    For half the money you could be in a GT3, and for another 8k you could outfit your car with the clubsport pkg (recaros, alcantera wheel and factory roll bar/cage -- depending on your preference), but the ball should surely be in your court.

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

Incidentally, life is also too short to live in Detroit.

Sorry, I had to go there. I've been receiving a lot of New Jersey grief lately on the chat and I needed to attack someone! I'm just kidding of course. LOL. :)

14. Pacman

Pacman Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Buy a GT2 or GT3.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Brian, Brian, Brian, it's clear what your problem is. You see Luigi doesn't stock any grey paint. He only buys red, red, and red. So Luigi stumbles in one morning and pulls up the ticket, ah Mama Mia, another grey car. WTF is the problem with these Americanos, don't they know that a Ferrari is supposed to be red!

It gets worse, there are no Wally Worlds in Maranello, which means that Luigi cannot just run out and buy some grey paint. So he does what workers around the world do when they are faced with an insurmountable problem, he looks this way. He looks that way, and then he utters those immortal words, ah chuck it.

Brian, I realize that my little story is not helping.

Have you called Mr. Risi yet? This is what I would do if I were you.

Good Luck, Dale

16. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003

I'd be the first to agree to that!!!

17. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Buy a Ford GT. And *never*, *EVER* buy anything new from Ferrari again.

Make sure they know why.

I don't care who they are, or what business they run, when they lose a lifetime customer who netted them $60k everytime he purchased something, they'll care. Trust me.

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Brian -

Man, does that SUCK! Your chain must really be getting sore from all the yanking its getting. I can't imagine the frustration. When the dust settles, and your wheelin' your Stradale, all the angst will be forgotten.

Gary

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Brian,

I am sorry to wade into this, but I must.

I have another good friend in the Dallas area who ordered a regular 360 6 speed from FoD a while back--last summer. They told him it would take a year.

Just last week, they are saying it will STILL be another year. He called Joe doen at FoH, and he said, Too bad, another year. Boo hoo.

And yet we have Art posting on here that he just ordered one from FoSF, and they promised July delivery or something.

I think the problem is with your dealer. These cases cannot be coincidences.

20. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi Everyone,

Gilles27 is right when he wrote: "Unfortunately, when the seller is in a position like Ferrari is, it doesn't really accomplish anything if one buyer backs out to make a point. It would be unlikely that they would feel the wrath."

If you are tired of the way you are being treated, and Ferrari seems to not place you as priority due to their previous error, well... Since this seems to have happened to you twice, there is resolve my friend.

It is called writing a NON EMOTIONAL, fact-based letter and send it to every car magazine (and those that deal with luxury goods) all around the world. Try to insure it gets published in as many places and countries as possible. The point being in that you get to alert others to what you are experiencing, you can briefly mention how you feel, though in the end this will allow others to be aware of how Ferrari has treated one of their (possible) customers.

From there, the car enthusiast reader can make their own judgement accordingly.

You may also want to send your letter to various newspapers that are highly prominent and have an AUTO insert.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin
    Photojournalist

21. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

BTW, I agree also with the Buy A Gallardo sentiment. Either that or contact FoSA. They seem a bit less ethically challenged that the folks you're dealing with. In my experience, Brian...

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Steve,

At the risk of getting blackballed from Ferrari forever, I kinda like your idea.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Brian,

Yes I think your dealer is the problem. He should be telling you the truth with realistic dates and not setting your hopes to high, it also could be the dealer that is selling your cars from under you.

I would tell the dealer to stick the 360CS firmly up his arse and turn it around 360 times ...

Then I would go and buy that 360CS that is painted that discusting orange/red colour that the owner has quite understandably vommited at when he actually saw it. I would take it to a professional company and strip it and paint it your colour. You probably will end up saving money as that 360CS will probably go at a discount ... with free shades thrown in ;)

The only other choice is to wait it out ... but I would definitely visit the dealership and have a chat with the manager and say that you do not want your chain pulled any further ... nothing works better than being the squeaky wheel. Either they will tell you to stick it, which by now I think you would be quite happy to walk away from the deal OR they will start treating you like they should have.

Gee I do hope the car lives up to your expectations after this much ****. I must say even I would be loosing the Ferrari flame by now ... infact I do not think I could wait longer than a year for any new car ... there are way too many choices.

Pete

24. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    You're not the only one with that problem Brian. My friend CS was to have been in September production. Meaning that he'll get his car in October - according to the dealer. When he asked the dealer to make official enquiry, he was told that the delay was due to availability of certain parts!! Imagine that!

But the car was only ready at the end of October and by the time he ships it, it'll be December. So if he registers the car it'll be a 2003 car, and it'll make a lot of difference when he re-sells the car later. So delayed the shipment to January but until now they have not shipped his car because the factory is waiting for the EE registration. Like you he's exasperated.

This is his 7th Ferrari and he is certainly in the good books of the factory and ceratainly the dealer, but that's how it is. Sometimes you're just unlucky.

25. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you are TOO funny, doc tax.

on the face of it, it sure sounds like it to me. HOWEVER in their defense (and i'm just doing the random counterpoint - i know neither jack nor **** about FoD/FoH) regarding the FoSF 360 order: (a) Art wasn't ordering a much less common CS and (b) FoSF probably has a much higher allocation of cars than FoD (it's not even-up to eveyr dealer) due to its sales volume.

my tuppence. regardless, you're not being treated right, Brian.

doody.