There's going to be a sales job in NJ....hey Azurro328 !! | FerrariChat

There's going to be a sales job in NJ....hey Azurro328 !!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Kds, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/12/teen.bmw.scam.ap/index.html

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- A teenage boy posing as a banker duped an Ohio car dealership into delivering a $123,000 BMW to him at his high school, police said Thursday.

A second order was never shipped after the dealership became suspicious, and the teen was arrested. The first car was later found in Raleigh, North Carolina, police said.

"He apparently sold the car, and it ended up in a dealership in North Carolina," said Detective Scott Davis of the Dublin, Ohio, police.

The boy was 16 in early January when he ordered the 12-cylinder 2004 BMW 760Li with "black sapphire metallic" paint and a heated steering wheel and seats. He told Midwestern Auto Group that his bank would confirm the wire transfer, authorities said.

After completing and returning paperwork that was mailed to his home, the teen called the dealership pretending to be a banker confirming the transfer, police said.

The car was delivered to him at Dickinson High School on January 27, two weeks after the boy turned 17, police said.

That same day, he ordered a second car. But when Midwestern Auto Group learned that the first payment was never made, the dealership contacted police.

The boy was arrested at his Jersey City home late last month.

Police said the teen was not hard to find. "He did use his correct name, as far as I know," Davis said.

The teen is charged with theft by deception and was no longer in custody, Sgt. Edgar Martinez said. Authorities did not release the boy's name because he is a juvenile.

2. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You think the dealerships would have learned their lesson to be more cautious after the Enzo incident at Algar in Philadelphia?

That was an Enzo, wasn't it?

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No, it was an F50 (VIN: ZFFTG46AXS0103494)...

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Wow, that's crazy. I'm just proud that a kid in NJ was actually crafty enough to pull that off for a minute. :)

5. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the correction NNO...while I was writing it my mind went blank.

They never did find that F50 did they?

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What did he buy, a Z8?

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Unfortunately not...

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Not yet.

they are still looking, though.

Locals, FBI, who knows who else is looking, but not finding.

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

No, 760Li

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Given that it was a new style 7 series I am sure that the dealer was happy to "finally" get it off the floorplan.....even if it was to a 17 year old kid.

Augustino....

Any stories about this circulating in your neck of the woods there in Jersey ?

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    That is TOO funny!!!!

DrS

12. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    So now will the 760 have a salvage title?

13. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Nope, either clean title or Recovered Theft.

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

I hadn't heard anything about it before this. It looks like it was in North Jersey, which is a different world from down here.

15. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    What exactly was the 'incident at algar in philadelphia'

Similar scheme?

MD

16. vette79

vette79 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    someone will chime in and correct me on this since i dont have all the details, but from my understanding the basic incident was that a well dressed man walked into the dealership, made a convincing enough argument to take the F50 out for a test drive, did all the paperwork, and the just took off with the car like a bat out of hell. im sure it did a pretty good job of shocking the salesman. he and the car dissapeared in traffic, probably into an enclosed trailer/semi of some sort. if i remember right he claimed his limo or some other fancy vehicle was parked across the street at a parking lot?

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    That F50 will NOT be found....believe me, you think its gonna be on a street corner with no wheels in harlem? its OUT of the country, or in a million pieces, most likely the former...wouldnt mind having the engine in a 360 CS though!