eBay Classic, Will the REAL 512BB please stand up? | FerrariChat

eBay Classic, Will the REAL 512BB please stand up?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rockn_Ferrari, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rockn_Ferrari

Rockn_Ferrari Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Akron (Montrose), Oh
    Full Name:
    Robert Walker
    We real Ferrari owners and admirers will enjoy this.

As many of us, I browse through the Ferrari section of eBay… and I noticed a replica of a 512 BB that caught my attention.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456853926&category=7251

I had to point out in an e-mail to this guy that his replica doesn't look like any 512BB that I've ever seen… but that it might be a replica of a Koenig 512 (although I'm not sure that Koenig ever made one)… and I sent the guy a link to a real 512BB for sale on eBay in the Ferrari section:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456965961&category=6212

This was his reply:

To:
    CC:
    Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2456853926
    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:23:19 EST

You are such an idiot! Can you not read? I said this was a replica of a 1979 Boxer BB512! The 1981-up models are ugly as the one that you sent me a picture of......and plus, here is the listing that even he wrote on the ad in which you drew to my attention, and it proves that you are wrong. Before you criticize any ones' car, get the facts straight, or you will be left looking like an idiot again!
    and as you will read, it says the "engine" was almost identical other than the fuel injection which the "i" stands for. You are obviously a kid that cannot afford this, so stop waisting my time!

" The new engine and tires made the 512 BB a much more driveable car. In 1981 the 512 BB was replaced by the fuel injected, but otherwise almost identical 512 BBi. This model proved to be the most popular and 1007 were built until production ended in 1984.
    The 512 BB designation can be broken down; the 5 indicates the displacement, although it is actually just under at 4942 cc, the 12 represents the number of cylinders that are capable of producing 360 bhp. The first B is for Berlinetta, which is essentially a closed coupe, the second B stands for Boxer"

Classic reply… no?

This replica maker doesn’t even know what a real Ferrari looks like… and he called the real one ugly!!!!

2. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    What you see on eBay is an original ALDINO 512BB replica, which has been around for many years....It comes up for sale once in a while on eBay or on www.Kitcars.com

It's not a bad looking kit (as far as replicas go) for the front section of the car at least...The rear is totally ugly and way too short, compared to the real F-512BB....

As with most cheap replicas out there, they can look decent from 20 feet away...But when you look closer at the panel fit and finish, the Fiero interior and under the engine cover, dissapointment takes over!

The ALDINO wesbite (http://www.aldinokit.com/) has the basic kit listed for under $5K....What a deal!!!

VK

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  4. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    #4 ronsupercar, Jan 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow... Then that guy's replica isn't that far off... When i first saw it, i was like, "Wtf...?!?"

Goyal, the wheels on your 348 are b_tchin'...! The 348 looks awesome like that...

6. Rockn_Ferrari

Rockn_Ferrari Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Akron (Montrose), Oh
    Full Name:
    Robert Walker
    I'm not disappointed. Thought it could have been a Koenig... but I've been in too many car shows to know that it wasn't a standard 512BB.

Hey... how do you shake this damn "Rookie" label next to your name. I've been a memeber since 2001 but had to re-sign up when the site changed...

7. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I am the wrong person to talk to about that.. If you want to change from the rookie title, you need to talk to DES aka NNO..

At over 10,000 log ins.. He is the man......

Shout out to NNO..

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey - I've never seen you before - Nice car! Is it Blu Chiaro? What color is the interior? Do you have any more pics? Interior pics?

Nice!

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Jerry,

From his profile pic I would say that his car is definitely Blu Chiaro just like your baby. Interior looks to be tan though. :)

10. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!
    Shout out right back atcha, Ron...

Rockn_Ferrari, there used to be a link at the bottom of the homepage to submit your old user name and your new user name to Rob and he would then update your post count and your original registration date; unfortunately, it seems as though that link is no longer available... My next best suggestion would be to email Rob directly at [email protected] to let him know what your old user name was, what your new one is and that you'd like your post count and original registration date updated... In fact, email him the same exact message TWICE; he loves that... :)

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm no fan for a variety of reasons of this replica, but I have to admit the way the front and rear opens is pretty cool. Like in the original. I always thought that was the signature of the ultimative supercar:

You open the bonnet and you see the wheel arches. The tradition goes from the P4 to the BBi to the Enzo. I love that.

13. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Tisfosi12,

Yep.... that's one of my very favorite things about Boxers too, the clam shell opening front and rear.

Here's a shot of mine in the garage opened up. I just love this beast!

14. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    What a great picture of one beautiful car! (I am referring to Gary's).

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I will second this posting. Last year I was driving through a small town where a local guy had several dozen assorted semi-muscle cars and clunkers for sale. It wasn't even a real car lot, just a house surrounded by clunkers. As I was driving by at 45 mph, I could have sworn that I saw a Lamborghini Countache. (Wake up Allan). I turned around and sure enough, there sits a black Lambo complete with the Countache type wheels. It looked pretty good. But I still smelled a rat and drove up for a closer look. It was another Fiero conversion. But the thing still looked pretty interesting. I thought that it might be a fun toy for $2500 or so, considering that Fieros are basically worthless. I've seen nearly intact Fieros in the local salvage yard. So I track the owner down, call him, and he says that everything is for sale. How much for the Lambo replica I ask. He replies $25,000!!!!!! I just shook my head in disbelief. What a chowderhead. Do the math. Subtract the $200 value of the Fiero donor clunker, and that means a repro Lambo body and wheels is worth $24,800. Can I have two at that price? Keep dreaming.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    GORGEOUS!

A friend of mine was looking for a BBi (I think he looked at yours as well before you got it) and so I had the 'burden' of looking for him and checked some out myself. Once you open that rear cover, man, my heart just melts away...

My friend is still looking btw. I need to push him over the decision cliff...
    :)

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that. I've passed it on to him. Sure looks like a nice one and he is into Concours etc.

We have found a potential candidate in Chicago, but I haven't had a chance yet to test drive it and now we have to wait till spring. Oh well.

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looks more like a prancing kangoroo.

That's the part I never get with some of the kitcar: They go through all this effort to make it look cool on the outside and then you're staring at the standard dash. That's particularly funny with Fiero replicas where you could actually replace the dash with a fairly good 308 copy. Oh well...

21. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH