F40, F50 and Enzo problems | FerrariChat

F40, F50 and Enzo problems

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F1racer, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I was reading an article talking service problems on those 3 cars..

So I wondering if any F40, F50 or Enzo owners here or someone you know who has one of those cars had any of these problems.

F40:
    -Cam-belt tensioner bearings tend to tighten up (causing the outside of the cam belt to scuff and gall against the tensioner = leads to belt failure)
    -The clucth hydraulics to fail( because the F40 bellhousing is magnesium and emits gases)
    -After 10 years all F40 are due for a complete water hose and rubber component replacement , regardless of miles.

F50:

-Electronic instrument cluster (major problem)
    - They said if some part of the dashboard electronics is defective, the car will go back to Italy for a 6 month $10.000 repair.
    - Defective front main seal (low miles F50 may not have had the update so better watch for that)
    - Last thing, the belly pan on the F50 tends to hide leaks by holding dripping fluids.

Enzo: (in the article they said that so far the Enzo has had 5 factory recalls related:

- Cooling fan update
    - The oil tank level dipstick
    - The front moveable flap connection
    - The F1 gearbox oil tank cap
    - The engine oil drain plug

Oh yeah they said the F40 and the F50 is $10.000 for a check-up (for whatever problems). As for the Enzo..= under warranty.

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I doubt an F40 is 10K, its not really that complex (no more than any other turbo car, not as much electronic BS either) you could do a lot of the stuff yourself in fact I bet.

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

I was just quoted about $6k for a 30,000 mile service on my F40. About 2% of the value of the car.

Do you think you could get a tune up, a timing belt, water pump, belts, and all fluids changed in your daily driver for 2% of it's value??????

How about 10%??????

Hmmm.......

Rick

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Umm...Most car will need new hoses after 10 YEARS...if you want it run right.

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Yeah ...
    As you can see they're not all problem, some are things that must be change after a while. ;)

6. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy

Apologies on replying to an older thread, but a search did not reveal any information on what is done during a major servicing on the F50.
    It has gear driven cams so will not need a belt change like the F40, so what else?
    Valve adjusts and fluids?