When do you drive fast? | FerrariChat

When do you drive fast?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

When do you drive fast?

1. always

2. never

3. only on closed circuits

4. only at night

5. whenever the conditions (weather, road,..) are good

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I usually drive fast at nighttime when I'm alone at the highway and the conditions are good.
    When I'm in Germany nearby, I also do it in daytime, but in my country that's too risky.

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    When weather and traffic allows. I stay with the traffic flow most of the time.

Ken

3. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I'm very cautious on public streets. On the track, in a properly set up car, is the time to go fast.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I am trying very hard not to speed flat out on public roads. Some of the freeways near me are so long and so flat...

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    only on long trips.

And I think it's worse to do it at night than during the day. Night is more dangerous.

6. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    So true, but it seems like that is when everybody speeds around here.

I used to drive what some have dubbed "The Midnight Run" twice a week. It is a stretch of highway that is largely unbroken, no turning lanes. There are a lot of dirt roads and small towns right off of it.

People will drive 15 to 20 over the speed limit during the day and way over at night. The rub is that it is not a straight highway, it curves a lot. It will be straight for a while, then throw a lot of curves. All those curves and lights at night create the optical illusion that is a straight shot. Kids doing 100 will launch themselves into a small town church parking lot.

The highway patrol does monitor activity. It is actually the responsiblity of the sheriffs and PDs of the towns off of the highway to enforce the law. The highway technically runs smack through these towns.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I go to the race track 12 to 18 times a year. When I drive on the streets, I try to blend in to the traffic as much as possible. With a car of color "Arest Me Red" and a speeding ticket that has to be payed 3 times (texas: the first time you pay the ticket, the second and third time it is a yearly surcharge.), its just not worth it to speed anymore.

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yesterday I went for a nice blast down the Parkway. I had just washed all of the road salt off of the car and I wanted to get the rest of the water out of the cracks. The roads were dry and there was little to no traffic.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Your poll is not really answerable... what do you mean by fast?

I only drive "at the limit" on a track.

But I drive really fast on multi-lane divided roads when traffic allows.

I also drive quite fast on fun curvy roads whenever I am in gaps between cars.

If there are parked cars or other visibility obstructions, then I drive very cautiously.

If the latter and potential for kids (esp. near schools or in neighborhoods), then I drive ultra slow and conservative.

To me, good driving is not about speed.
    Good driving is getting where you are going:
    1) without hitting anything
    2) without surprising anyone (driver or pedestrian)
    3) without impeding anyone (driver or pedstrian)

If I can do all that at 120mph, then I'm all for it!!

10. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    My thoughts exactly.

I took "fast" to mean way over (15+) the speed limit.

I will not drive that fast on public roads. The only exception is the John C. Stennis Parkway, that is the entrance to John C. Stennis Park. It is 5 to 7 miles of uninterrupted driving. It is great at any speed. (within reason) Visiblity is excellent and the view is breathtaking.

Of course if you do not stop at the gatehouse at the end, you will rip open your oil pan. There are speedbumps that you could cut your hand on by just touching.

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I do have a tendency to go fast anytime I take the Fcar out. I live in the farm and woods country south of Chicago, so there are plenty of roads that are usually devoid of traffic. It's nice to be able to safely get it up to a decent speed for at least a few minutes.

12. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Quotes:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Brian C. Stradale
    Your poll is not really answerable... what do you mean by fast?
    Originally Posted by TSMIV
    My thoughts exactly.
    I took "fast" to mean way over (15+) the speed limit.

That's also what I meant by "fast".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zjpj
    And I think it's worse to do it at night than during the day. Night is more dangerous.

I forgot to mention that here in Belgium, most highways are very good illuminated during the night. I think that's not the case in the States where you mostly drive throug the dark, only having your headlights to see where you are going? That explains why fast driving at night doesn't score well in the poll, it really is more dangerous in most countries than here.

13. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have never ever driven fast, never intend to and anyone that does, in my book, deserves to be locked up.

Here in the UK we used to have people walking in front of cars holding a red flag to make sure that not only were passing pedestrians made aware of the traffic but to also make sure the driver of the car didn't die due to the dangerous and unknow effects of speed. It was a sad day when theese people left our streets to allow the reckless use of speeds of as much as 12mph. Bring these people nack and bring road speeds back down to where they belong - no more than 3mph.

I'm going to burn my Stradale the moment it arrives just to make sure I don't fall foul of my right foot

14. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Weather & Traffic Permitting.....normally on the North Dallas Tollway and Hebron Pkwy. around 2 A.M.

15. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    In Thailand, on 4-lane highway into Bangkok from my town, I average about 140 km/h..that's 87mph..no matter what car I drive (that's the traffic flow speed anyway). But on another highway, a skyway (we call it) into and out of Bangkok, which is a closed highway, many people average well above 160 km/h. I myself will average around 100-110 up there. But you can also go as fast as you dare because there is not speed monitoring. Yes, they set the speed limit, but there is no cop up there...I top out in my R34 GTR at 275 km/h a few times...

But I usually will rent a track to enjoy the cars. It's not speed that I like, but the driving skill that we need to control the car. It does not matter if we can't go 250 km/h...I just want to survive the next corner and have fun doing it...

16. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I stay with the flow of traffic usually. I may go a bit over the speed limit if traffic is flowing, conditions are ok...etc...but I try never to go "fast" (85+?)on public roads. Although driving the Enzo and the 575 I may have slightly broken that rule :) I stay slow for a few reasons mostly. 1) Im a young driver...dont want to go really fast in a really fast car until I really know I can. 2) A ticket at my age would just ruin my insurance and I doubt I could afford to keep up with it. 3) General safety for myself and others.

17. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I usually move a little faster than the flow of traffic on the freeway. On long roadtrips I usually kick it to warp speed conditions permiting. On surface streets I stick to the speed limit.

18. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Best place I've found that is as safe (as it could be )is Silverstate race. They close off 90 miles of Neveda hwy and depending on your safety equipment and experience you're good to go. I usually run in the 165 mph tech speed class with a target average of 150 mph over the 90 miles.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

19. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I never drive fast in the town, simply because there is no point in going fast when you are in town. The quickest way to go anywhere in town is to get a taxi or just walk.

However, if I am out of the town (ie. highways) and circumstances permitted (ie. roads are clear and dry), I would definitely like to have a good and fast run.

20. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    That's what I achieved when I had my Skyline GTR V-spec. That car is so stable.

Apart from the track, I drive fast when we have our weekend Club drives, either on Saturdays or Sundays. The roads normally have very light traffic in the morning at about 8 am and that's the best time to hit the highway. We have very good toll highways and the cops do not come out with their radar guns till about 9 am, so for one hour it's bliss.

21. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.