Ferrari Polo for $628.33. Anyone? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Polo for $628.33. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lukek, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    This is a long sleeve Polo shirt from Ferrari. Even people with unlimited budgets would stop and think, no?
    While it is cashmere, you could probably purchase a goat/llama farm for that price. In some parts of the world, anyway.

(What does a llama cost, anyway? I bet you I could purchase a slightly used, retired, or maybe a little sick llama for under $500 on e-bay...)

2. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Uh, yeah. I'll take 2....

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Maybe it's a typo...? That just seems ridiculous...

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    That price is a little high. Usually you can get a nice high-quality cashmere polo shirt for under $500. Same price give or take a little goes for about any type of shirt or sweater in top quality cashmere from a great designer(Luciano Barbera,Brioni).

I guess the infamous "ferrari markup" strikes even clothing. :)

What next, official Ferrari bottled water for $8.00 a bottle?

5. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    No chance I'd pay that

6. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    $628.33!!!

What? No Way! I purchased a Lotus shirt from the factory and it cost me $82 and I complained about the price and they gave it to me for $72. I thought that was expensive.... Geez.... $626.33 is plain stupid!

I'd rather spend my $626.33 for either 12 Esprit oil chages or 22 NSX oil changes......

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FPD (ferrari product dog) wants one... do they make them for dogs?

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I'm sure some people will pay for $600.00.

Have you browse through Hermes, or Armani boutique?

Some collections are only made in small qty, and thus an unit price goes up along with brand name value.

I just didn't know Ferrari has brand name value as a cloth, though.

I do confess... I want this polo just to show off to Rob, but he probably won't even notice it.

Mark(Study), check out Gucci. They have a dog ring for over $500 along with a food bowl for over $100. I'm sure they can accomodate your cute dog. My dog is too big to look cute in Gucci.

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

WARNING: IF THINGS LIKE $600 SHIRTS SHOCK YOU THEN DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ENTER A HERMES BOUTIQUE WITHOUT A PORTABLE DEFIBRILLATOR TO REVIVE YOUR HEART.;)

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    cashmere polo are rarely cheaper when they are from a well known brand

11. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    I recently bought 2 cashmere sweaters from Scuderia TJ Maxx for $50 each.
    Thought I was driving in high cotton!

12. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    on of my favorites is the utterly useless Louis Vuitton soccer ball for a mere $500.

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Scuderia TJ Maxx--LOL!

I wonder if the back of the sweater has a giant Cavallino on it. Sweet!

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We were walking THRU Nieman Marcus with the girls last week and I pointed out to my daughter that she could get dear ol' dad a very nice Brioni tropical print surfer shirt, in silk, for $245.00.

You have to train these young'uns to appreciate a good value.

Then we went by Tiffany's, YSL and Armani.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Probably no logo, but I know the girl that does all of FoH's crew gear, see, and she's got it all on the computer, and well, OUR team shirts look very official, with logos and all!

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yeah, I just came back from Miami and went to Bal harbour Shops. Nothing but designer Italian/French goods...Salvatore Ferragamo, Christian Dior, Fendi, Gucci, Hermes, Chanel, Cartier, Loius Vuitton, Van Cleef & Arpels, etc. Unfreakin' believable....actually, the purse (Chanel) I bought my girlfriend for Valentine's Day, THAT was pretty unbelievable (and out of character). :)

Funny about designer pet stuff, most of the major houses make dog leashes, collars, and stuff for cats also! Heck, even Coach leather makes stuff for pets.

17. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Money does not equal brains.

I don't care if you've got $900 billions dollars in the bank. There are so many better things you can do with 600 bux. Like feed a hungry kid, for christ's sake.

I'd like to punch whatever jack-off buys this crap in his teeth.

I can see spending your hard earned cash on expensive and over-the-top stuff like a watch, an F-car, a house too big for you. You know, something that'll last for a while and something that has *INHERENT* value.

But blowing you money just for the sake of blowing it? Christ, get a grip on life, buddy. There are kids that HAVE NOT EATEN IN 5 DAYS in our country. There are mothers that FEED THEIR KIDS DIRT in Africa. And you've gotta show the world how rich you are by *wasting* $600 on a polo shirt.

Pisses me off.

18. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

Dude, you'll have an aneurysm if you ever visit the ferrari store in maranello; 400E for a "garment" is bottom shelf...

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nibblesworth,
    I'm not following your logic; $600 on a shirt makes no sense to you (cause children are starving) but dropping $2k on a watch is okay? Heck even $600 on a watch, is that okay, when a Timex can be had for $30?

Dave

20. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    You're right - you're not following my logic.

A watch can last for 30 years of everyday use.

A Ferrari can last 50+ years with good maintenance, and the car itself is an item with motivates people to excel.

Even a leater jacket I can see spending 600 bones on, assuming it will last me for a while.

A polo shirt, though? C'mon, man! It's a throw-away item, and anyone willing to toss that kind of money into something that silly really needs to rethink their priorities.

I'm not against anyone spending thier money on whatever they want - but that doesn't mean that I don't find it tasteless to spend that kind of money on something that costs maybe 10 bucks to produce, if that much.

Honestly, anyone looking to buy that could easily opt to buy a polo at their local F-car store for $80 and give the remaining $570 to a kid in school, the NEA, Cancer research, whatever. Instead, they chose to blow the extra money on something that has no value outside of "bling-bling".

Just my opinion. Bad taste, if you ask me.

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    There are quality fabrics and materials that will last a decade or more. A two (or is it three) ply navy blue cashmere I've had in my possession for 5 years and worn regularly (once a week, sometimes twice) looks and feels new or very close to. Retails for $370, I didn't pay that (half actually), but you get my drift.

Its not a 3-pack of Fruit of the Loom white t-shirts we're talking about, but the workmanship that goes into it beyond the materials and some extra for the label.

There is no justification besides vanity why we end up buying something greater than what we need, like a Timex over a Breitling, or a Target cashmere over one that might offer the same sensuality, much like a Ferrari over an Accord.

There is no balance. You are either vain or you are not. You spend in excess with a desire to do good, but you are like everyone else.

Sunny

22. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    AMEN!

Sorry to piss you off Nibbles but I'm one of those "crazy" people that adore great quality in the materials next to my skin. Could I contribute more to the worlds needy instead? Sure, so could anybody except Mother Teresa(interesting article in Forbes by the way about who helped more people, Mother T or Michael Milken). I find it strange that you say conspicuous excess(like a Ferrari) is palatable but high quality attire is not. If as you say, "the car itself is an item with motivates people to excel" then clothing could also be a motivator to people. Not every person is a car person, some are motivated by other things. I know the first time I saw and felt a pair of Kiton Super 150s pants it motivated me to buy some.

I won't even get into the $ amount of cigars I burn up in a year.;)

23. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Hey, to each his own, right? :)

I just find it odd that someone would spend close to $700 for a shirt with the quality of a $200 shirt. That's just me.

24. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Dude you can't be serious? Walk around Beverly Hills and you will be punching every third person "in his teeth". Ironic that someone would be complaining about the excessive price of a cashmere shirt on a Ferrari chat board. I give plenty to charity and also like to buy nice shoes, shirts, suits, etc. For that matter, I also occassionally splurge on an expensive meal and bottle of wine. Maybe I should eat macaroni and cheese and donate the difference to the kids eating dirt?

Do a search on this Forum for guys that buy new rims, tubi exhausts, go on vacations to overpriced resorts - you will really be angry.

Spending $600 on a sweater is a peccadillo for many on this forum. Since when is walking around in a cashmere shirt showing the world how rich you are? Some might argue that driving in a Ferrari might be considered flaunting of wealth ... but a shirt?

(P.S. I didn't waste any money at in Vegas on Superbowl weekend.) :)

25. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Cashmere are expensive, but 490 Euro for a long sleeve polo is a bit much.