Best Independent Bodyshop / Mechanic in the Tri-State Area | FerrariChat

Best Independent Bodyshop / Mechanic in the Tri-State Area

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    OK,

I had put a thread up earlier seeking opinions on the authorized Ferrari Dealers in the tri-state area, which quickly denegrated into the best independent shop around. :) For this reason, it makes sense to specifically devote a thread to summarizing independent shops in the tri-state area.

It's late at night, and I'm tired, but here is a quick recap of indepedent shops that have been discussed before:

(1) Auto Elite (Fort Lee, NJ)
    (2) AutoSportDesigns (Huntington Station, NY)
    (3) Classic Coach Repairs (Elizabeth, NJ)
    (4) Berlinetta Motorcars (Huntington Station, NY)
    (5) Precision Auto Body (Mt. Vernon, NY)

Prugna 328 referenced the following shops in another thread:

(6) European (around Huntington Station, NY)
    (7) RPM (around Huntington Station, NY)
    (8) Champion (around Huntington Station, NY)

Any and all thoughts welcome. Let's make this a comprehensive thread for the benefit of all!

Thanks.

2. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    FWIW, I've heard nothing but good things about the work Frank & Co. do out at Classic Coach.

And if the cars in their shop are an endorsement, then theirs is loud and clear -- I've never seen so many stunning cars in one place (XJ220s, Enzos, F40s/F50s, Countachs, etc.)

3. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Could you please tell us where Frank & is? Thank you.

4. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I was referring to Classic Coach, listed above. They're out in Elizabeth, NJ. Owner is Frank (Onofrio) Triarsi.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I agree is money is no object then Classic is the place - they are a quasi dealer as opposed to an independant, if that is important. Not mentioned is Bryan Vignale in short hills. not the neatest or biggest shop but he does good work on the the pre late nineties cars

6. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Is CC significantly more expensive than other shops? What's their labor rate? Quality of work is important, but money is always an object.

Actually, it'd be useful if we could compile some specifics on the rates these shops charge...

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Along those lines:

Any opinions on using an Independent for Major (30K) service vs. using a Dealer or Pseudo Dealer.

I have had a few F-car mistresses - (61 GTE and 67 GTC) which I used my local guys for help (when I really got into something – I couldn’t work my way out of)

I recently bought a late 1995 355 Spider – which I am loving – I actually drive it around and not just to shows like I did with the 60’s! The 355 has 18K miles and I am due from a time standpoint for the 30K service. The 15K was done in 2001 by Continental auto in Chicago/Hinsdale.

I know of a few FOC members that use these local guys for newer cars – but they do not do any of the computer related stuff – ECP. (PS. We all agree, in our little F-car Circle, that the head mechanic is truly a master at what he does… and they have a few other guys that are also very good…) But my opinion is mostly from my 60’s F-car standpoint.

So my question is: do you have any opinions on using these guys for the 30K service. Does the computer related stuff come into play with the 30K enough for me to take it somewhere else?

And if anyone knows any reputable service co. in Southern Ohio or close – I would love to hear about that as well.

(Bring Back Chain Drives!)

Thanks,
    Rich

8. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    CC charges are fairly consistent with dealer prices - quality of work is great.

9. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Will let everyone know, my car is at Classic Coach as we speak for some paint work(redoing Boxer trim) and servicing. I think that they will do right by me. The only little issue I had was that they charged me $370.00 to mount and balance my new tires, it was done perfectly however. I will list what I had done and what it costs as soon as I get it back.