All tall owners check in! | FerrariChat

All tall owners check in!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dgi, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgi

dgi Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 7, 2004
    Finksburg, MD
    hello, I just recently visited Ferrari of Washington and had a chance to sit in a few cars. First off I stand at 6'6" 225 lbs. I sat in a 355 and it was too tight for me. Then I moved to a 360 Spyder and that felt better.

What do other tall guys fit in/drive?

I'd love to know what could be done to make more room in the 355 while retaining the comfort of the factory interior... is more room possible without fixed shell racing seats?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Im 6'1" 170 lbs and I fit fine into any Ferrari Ive ever been in. I like how the 360 has those click adjustable sides for even more snugness. The vette has them too but there electronic and not nearly as nice. The only car Ive ever had a trouble in was one time for some reason I went to a dealership to see what the big deal was about Miatas. The steering wheel wasnt even adjustable. I could hardly move my legs around at all.

3. 348 TB

348 TB Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Mike V

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    6'3"
    Fit?

You live with it. :)

And I wouldn't have it any other way...

6. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    193 cm (is that 6'3")
    85 kg (188 lb)

328 GTB
    Steering wheel moved 2" backwards.
    Sits quite good but problem with helmet.

Ciao
    Peter

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    6'3" 250#
    Mondial 3.2 - lots of room, 1 - 2" of headroom and able to sit nearly straight up; steering wheel is driver adjustable for height and reach from factory by silver lever on left side.

8. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    6-'7" 240 drive a 360 coupe. I have more room in this car than my 993TT. But I am wide through the shoulders, and have long legs. So head room is fine, Sport seats will never happen for me unless they come out with a XL seat width.

ROB

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    6'2" #210. I never fit comfortably in any Ferrari until I sat in a 550 Maranello, I bought it. I do fit in the 360 spider but not the coupe. I do not fit in any other earlier Ferrari. Interestingly I fit in an Enzo with room to spare. I was shocked. We just got a Murcielago and I am OK but a little bit cramped, OK for trips less than 2 - 3 hours but it would probably be a little uncomfortable if the trip was longer. The passenger seat has a little better space than the driver side.

aehaas

10. chrisoutzen

chrisoutzen Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    sudbury
    I'm 6'2" and I just fit into a 355 spider (had to drive a little "bow-legged".) I fit fine in 360 spider.

11. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Glad I don't have those problems. :)

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm 6'2", long waisted, short arms, and I like to sit upright instead of "easy chair" style.

Here's what works - GTC, Daytona, Queen Mother, 308, 328, Maranello, and 360.

Here's what doesn't work - Lambos, TR, 348, 355, and C5 Vettes.

Here's what really doesn't work, but I love the car so much that I can convince myself that it does work - Dino GTS.

My problem typically is that when I finally get the seat to where I like it, my eyeballs at looking at the visors.

Dr "I'm Willing to Try Out Anyone's Car for Size" Tax

13. JeffMN

JeffMN Rookie

Jan 18, 2004
    You guys are really raining on my parade...

I'm dead set on a TR even if I have to hire someone to crowbar me in and out of it.

I'm hoping I can remove a little seat padding to help matters out. I know. Maybe I should have a salad too. Maybe surgery. Maybe a little fat-free jello for desert instead of chocolate pudding. Maybe walk 18 holes instead of driving them. Maybe switch to light beer. Maybe give Adkins a call. I've got a weight problem--can't wait to eat.

6'4", 330 lbs.

-Jeff.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    My dad was 6'8". He had a Testi in 86-87 that he only go into once or twice. He told me he could get in.... It was getting out that gave him trouble!!!

(Truth is, I find it kind of hard to get out of mine too!!!!!)

DrS

15. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm 6'6" and searching for a 550. I need an additional 1" of headroom in a 550. This is what I found out can be modified. The seat cushion contains about 2" of padding...1" can be removed and you still have a comfortable seat. The seat rails sit on 1" risers under the floor carpet. These risers can be removed and the power rails can be bolted to the floor. Also, the power motor and rails can be removed and the seat can be bolted directly to the floor. So there is 3 options in a 550. In addition, the shelf behind the seat contains a little over an inch of insulation which can be removed to allow the seat back to be reclined a little more. I found a couple of places in San Diego & LA that do this work.

Bill in San Diego

16. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I'm just over 6'4", 270 lbs. and am extremely comfortable in the 360 spider. Extra headroom even with the top up.

Don't agree with the post below on the 246 GTS (Dino). I've had one for years and drive it all the time. The serat is on the floor and there is plenty of legroom and enough headroom. I've driven both the Dino and the 360 on long trips with no problems. The 360 is definitely more comfortable, but the Dino just has that geat look and sound and is very tossable.

17. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    You can also get a "Gurney Bubble" installed on any car for additional headroom. It looks really cool too, although I've never seen one on a modern Ferrari.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Solly, that's actually good to hear. I have only sat in one. I have never driven one. It just seemed that I could probably shift with my knee. Ha! Imagine that, knee and toe!

But I'd love Dinos. To me they are the car from the 60s.

Dr "Splayed Leg" Tax

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I am 6'4", 230. I fit well in most of the 60s GT cars (250GTE, 330GT and 330GTC, 365GT 2+2 (I can wear a hat in mine!), 365GTC/4, Daytona, 400). I also fit comfortably in the Mondial and 360.

The 348 and 355GTSs do not work for me, nor does the 308GTB, although I could make it work if I had to. 348 and 355 spyders work OK, although it feels like I am looking straight on at the top of the windshield.

I drove a TR several times 10 years ago, which my brother owned. He is the same height as I am, and I don't recall any problems fitting. However, that may have been because I just made it work!

20. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Me self i am 6ft, over 300lbs (er body builder incase your wondering) and i drove 328 no probs, now my 355 is much more roomy with about 4inches above my head,although my thighs can be a bit tight on long jurneys.

21. Heeltoe

Heeltoe Rookie

Jan 21, 2004
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Richard King
    I'm 6'1 and 190 and I fit fine in older Ferrari's such as my F40, but I find the newer ones a bit tight for me too...oh well....older ferrari's are nicer.