more front license plate issues | FerrariChat

more front license plate issues

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Adrenln328, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    This topic has been discussed before, currently on both the Northwest sites & the So Calif sites.
    The issue of a front plate is a nuisance to most of us, but it sounds like there is a flurry of new tickets in So Calif. It is now used as an excuse to ticket, whereas we all used to think that if we weren't doing anything illegal, it wouldn't be a reason for a ticket. Sounds like that is changing for the worse. It impacts many of us, not only on our F cars, but several others we also own. My Corvette has the same issue.
    OK, there are lots of cars that don't have (& we don't want) front brackets.
    On the NW side, we have had some comments that it is better to let sleeping dogs lie, which is wonderful if they WILL just lie.
    However, there are several states where a front plate is NOT required. Is there enough intrest in trying to get this to be a standard nationwide?
    If folks here would like to make the effort, I would be happy to assist in any way I can. If not, I'll drop it & just pay the ticket if it happens....
    Thanks

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Texas too, bro.

It's hot all over. I guess just put the damn things on, or move to Mississippi! Or Louisiana!

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Here in MO a front plate is also required. My buddy (a police) said I can get a ticket just by not putting one. It sucks bec. it really "destroys"
    the lines of the car (Look at the freagin' plate at the pic in my profile). I don't know what much can be done.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

While it's not required in the province where I live........it's a commonly accepted statement that I have heard, that it is required and requested by police forces where you need it to facilitate the bounce back of the laser speed measuring equipment.

From the FWIW files......and I hate the look of them too.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Should try liveing in the UK, All the Goverment and pigs do is shaft the motorist. You know you can now even get fined for parking anymore than half a meter away from the curb, think about it low car high curb, how the F**K do you get out. Bloody Wankers

6. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In NJ the law is if you do not have a front plate you receive a ticket and mandatory court appearance. Been there done that!

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A few years ago Nova Scotia said get rid of the front. But it still costs the same as buying 2. But noone is talking about bringing it back.

8. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    In Ontario they are all over you without one yet in Quebec the front plate is not required :)

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Ron you should mount it lower and at an angle. See my profile

10. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

wheres the profile pic steve?

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yep. It sux too. My friend got pulled over just for that, and wound up getting a car search and arrested.

12. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I even had a CHP flip a quick u-turn to cite me for no front plate

13. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I've had my Mondial for 3+ years and drive throughout Northern NJ and lower New York State every day. Highway and back roads. Been pulled over for "spirited" driving and never been questioned about my lack of a front plate. And I drive 20M miles per year and pass cops going in the opposite direction all the time.

Possibly it's my sweet, innocent , law-abiding face ? :)

Tom

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    As of April, 2003 - 25% of LA cars photographed making late turns or running red lights didn't have plates. That, along with radar is the reason law, er, revenue enforcement is going after no-plate cars - as never before.

With that in mind - once someone gets the plate on, how do they keep from screwing themselves anyway?

License plate spray - foils the bad, uh, good, uh bad guys
    6 News station videos on site
    Washington Times News article - not on above site

The above said and done, it's not a "cover" or a "device"
    California DMV - Vehicle Code - Positioning of Plates

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging , ( )1 shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. yadayadayada

(f) No covering ( )3 may be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number. ( )4

(g) No casing, shield, frame, border, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

(44081 and 44081.6 are all about emissions)

So... does that make the spray legal? Anybody in F-Chat used it?
    _______

I'd like to get more into the technical aspect of having a presentable fron plate bracket - but right now, "The Manson Family" is on The History Channel. Might learn sumpin'... muahahaaaa

15. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I haven't had any problems w/my BMW 325i, Porsche Cayenne, & Mercedes S500.

I suppose cops have a weakness for Ferrari cars and they wanna "shake" them down.

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Front license plates are not required by law here in Arkansas. But they are still sometimes necessary to hold together the ragged sheetmetal on some of our old clunkers down here.

17. nsxtc

nsxtc Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    I've seen some people put their front license plates on the dash. Or hide it and put it there discreetly when you get pulled over. Does this count?

18. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Horsefly... LMFAO!!!

19. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Please don't Photoshop the battered Enzo as being parked in front of a mobile home at an Arkansas trailer park...

20. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    add KS and OK to the list of states that DO NOT require a front plate. This front plate stuff is just crazy. Totally screws up the look of the car. I'd just title the car in a state with no front plate laws.

21. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    LOL!....and I love your choice of plate #.

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I never ran a front plate on any of my sportscars, and with one exception, have never been stopped soley for missing a front plate. Until recently. I was stopped 3 times in 2 weeks for no front plate on the GT-2, and was written up once by the NY State constabulary for same. Figured it was just easier to mount a plate than run as a target.
    My impression was that, in states where required, enforcement is due to the fact that much is done by camera, and without a plate, pretty tough to identify the car. Even if we could get an exemption that allowed a euro-style plate (at greater cost-hence more revenue for the state), that would ok in my book.

23. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I was stopped in Wyoming for not having my front Colorado license plate.

Prior to CO, I lived in New Mexico, which does not require a front plate. I don't recall ever being stopped for not having a front plate when visiting a different state that required it. I guess the cops also know which states have the front plate requirement.

24. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    You do not need a front plate in PA either. Here in Jersey I've been driving my car with no front plate for almost a year. I've only been pulled over once for not having a front plate and I used the time-honered "I ordered a bracket from Italy and it hasn't gotten here yet. You know those damn Italians!" escuse and it worked like a charm.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #25 BigTex, Feb 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017