Free play specification for 308 accelerator pedal? | FerrariChat

Free play specification for 308 accelerator pedal?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Haven't had any luck finding this in the workshop manual (I'm sure I'm just missing it) or in the archives. All the Free Play related threads are about the clutch.

There's a free play adjustment screw/bolt on the front bank cam cover which can be used to take up any (or some) slack in the throttle cable system.

I know on some cars (FI, anyway) the throttle is always "snug" and the slightest push against it will affect the engine...

Is this how I want the 308 accelerator pedal? Fully snug? The "slack" is kind of annoying...

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Yep...
    Take the top off of the airbox when you do it to watch the butterflies
    to make sure they don't start to open.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Its not critical, but I've found that having a small amount of slackness helps. Adjust to what you feel is the right amount (1/4 - 3/8" or thereabouts).

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Agree with Peter. You need just a tiny bit of slack. W/o some slack, I was getting a situation where the throttle would not always return completely to idle. I suspect perhaps either something expands/contracts a bit with temp, or else there is a bit of movement in the car or the engine on it's mounts.

BTW, you should check the full throttle stop. Any adjustment that you do to add/remove slack will affect this. There is a linkage stop on the carbs themselves, and a stop under the gas pedal. The stop under the gas pedal should restrict throttle movement so that the carb stop *almost* touches. Mine was misadjusted from when I originally got the car, so the carb stops were the limiting factor. Energetic applications of full throttle resulted in bent carb throttle linkages.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yes.

The throttle cable should never do more than ONLY open the carbs. If the pedal stop or cable slack is set incorrectly, you will strain the cable at full throttle, as you are then using it as a footrest.

Properly set and lubricated cables last forever, it's mis adjustment that causes them to fray or break.

Push the throttle until it is fully open in the carbs, then see if the pedal is at it's stop. This is hard though, as it's well buried.

If not, either introduce more slack at the cam cover adjustment, OR unscrew the pedal stop until it holds up the pedal. The choice is up to you, whether you extend your foot fully, or have a little slack.

I prefer to have a little slack.

If the pedal hits the stop before fully open carbs, then remove some slack from the cam cover adjuster OR screw in the stop. Same choice to make.

The pedal should be fitted onto a marked spline on the shaft. It can however be moved for your preferance.