HOW DO I GET THIS RADIO OUT ?? | FerrariChat

HOW DO I GET THIS RADIO OUT ??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 peajay, Nov 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 328 has an ugly old radio cassette that just has to go, I just bought a nice new MP3 CD player to fill the hole. My problem is how do I get the old unit out. It is an AIWA set and since the car is a 1987 model I would say it is about the same age. There is a small hole each side which I am thinking may be access holes for a release hook or something, but I don't have a special tool gizmo to stick in these holes if that is necessary. Anyone have any ideas ?? any advice much appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have seen car radios with 2 small holes on each side for extracting the radio from the dash and I guess there's a tool for this.

What I did was to cut two 8" lengths of a wire clothes hanger, bent them into "U" shapes, inserted them into the holes (which pushes back some tabs), then jiggled the radio out.

Maybe the 328 radio has just one hole per side that does the same thing. The hanger is worth a try.

I remember I had to try two different diameters of hangers and the thick one worked.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are two #2 Phillips screws from below. If you remove them, the whole piece, gauges and all come loose. Maybe you can release the stereo from the back, once exposed. If you are ditching the unit anyway, you have nothing to lose by shoving two peices of coathanger in the holes and see if it comes loose.

4. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Donald is correct. A lot of these radios with one hole have a spring steel piece with a pawl that gets pushed out of the way with the coathanger. The unit then will slide out of its mounting frame which can be removed.

5. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmm... I definitely like the idea of using the coat hanger, I have got into a few cars with the keys locked inside with the old coat hanger down the side of the door glass trick, so I will certainly give that a try. Thanks for the tips !!!!!!!

6. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Don't forget to check for a Grounding/Support strap on the back of the unit. Once you relase the two side tabs then you can wiggle the unit forward.