US Customs duty/MPF question | FerrariChat

US Customs duty/MPF question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bob308GTS, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Just received the duty bill from FedEx on my last parts shipment, total parts including shipping was $212. Duty accessed was $5.40, total bill from FedEx was $35.40, $5.00 to FedEx for the advancement fee and a line on the customs bill marked misc. for $25.00. I called FedEx and was informed that was the MPF ( merchandise processing fee ) charged by the US Customs, and that the MPF was .21% of shipment value or $25.00 whichever was greater. When I asked if a $10.00 shipment would be accessed the $25.00 fee I was told it would. So it boils down to the fact I paid an MPF on the value of $11910.00 for a $212.00 shipment. I have gone to the US Customs website only thing there mentioned MPF applied to shipment values over $2000.00 except for textiles. I sent an Email asking the same question to US Customs last night.

Question is, I know someone is full of crap here, is it FedEx or the US Customs

2. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Just got a response from US Customs referring me to a MPF FAQ

Formal and informal entries are subject to
    a Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF). 19
    U.S.C. 1401 requires the importer of record
    to pay the fee to Customs at the time of
    presenting the entry summary. Formal
    entries are required for imports of
    commercial goods valued at $2,000 or more,
    with the exception of certain commercial
    imports valued at $250.00 (i.e. textiles).

The MPF for formal entries is an ad valorem
    fee of 0.21 percent. The fee is based on
    the value of the merchandise being
    imported, not including duty, freight, and
    insurance charges. The maximum amount of
    the fee shall not exceed $485 and shall not
    be less than $25. For example, .21
    percent of $950,000.00 is $1,995.00, but
    the importer is only required to pay the
    maximum amount of $485.00.

Informal entries do not require a Customs
    bond and are usually for personal use
    imports or commercial imports valued less
    than $2,000. MPF for informal entries is
    assessed on goods that are transported to
    the U.S. via air, ship and international
    mail. MPF for informal entries is a set
    fee and ranges from $5.00 to $9.00 per
    shipment.

so according to this official info from I should have been charged no more than $9.00 MPF

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Sure looks that way to me...:(

FWIW, I was charged $15.00 by FEDEX for customs on a similar sized order about a year or so ago.

4. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    This is getting better all the time, FedEx is blaming Customs and Customs is blaming FedEx. You can dispute these fees, I have gottn and sent the info to FedEx for a review, and included the US Customs info I posted earlier

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Bob308GTS, you are the FIGHTER!

We received several shipments monthly, but we never disputed FedEx nor Custom. We do present all product info to find out duty rate & handling fee beforehand.

But I never thought $25 MPF was disputable. Let me know what happens.

FYI, find out who did the actual custom clearance procedure. As far as I know, FedEx don't do this as some custom clearance house handles it. Then all documents will be present for you to dispute effectively.

Yoshi Ace

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I was going to buy a very nice pair of seats for my car from SC and the duty shipping and tax were more than the seats! I would have been charged over 400 duty because the seats were made in germany and were in great shape. The colour had something to do with it also. So I bought them from a guy in B.C. instead. Customs, WHAT A RIP!

7. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    It does say "not less than $25", but only for formal entries which seems to be goods over $2000. Hmm...

I order parts for the fiat dino several times from superformance in England and the shipment was by UPS. They paid the customs and the bill I got from them was much less than $25 on the small shipments.

8. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Yoshi, when talking to the FedEx people and pointing out what was on the US Customs site, he asked if I wanted to dispute the fee, of course I said yes and he faxed me the form