Impression of G-Force SRS-1? | FerrariChat

Impression of G-Force SRS-1?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ChrisfromRI, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Does anyone have any impressions of, or experience with, the G-Force SRS-1 Helmet Restraint that they could share with me before I make my decision?

This will only see occasional road course use (DE events only, with no wheel to wheel competition, and limited passing). I already own the new G-Force Hybrid Helmet with the built-in attachment points for the SRS-1. The alternative would be to continue using only a neck doughnut, as the HANS unit is too expensive for consideration at this point.

I regularly race in many lower speed Solo2 (autocross) events where I only wear my more comfortable Simpson open face helmet with no doughnut.

Thanks, Chris

2. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Guess I'll just be using the neck doughnut...

Kind Regards, Chris

3. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    There is a good article on this whole subject in SCCA's Sportscar Magazine March 2004 issue, that was just delivered to my home today. The SRS-1 looks decent if you use their helmet (which in my case I already have). There is also a dealer selling it for $249 in the magazine as well.

I also received some favorable feedback on the SRS-1 through the S2000 board/community from a stock car racer who had used both the SRS-1 and the HANS, and in the end preferred his SRS-1 over his HANS. He felt he had more mobility, vision, comfort, and much better vehicle egress with the SRS-1.

In any case the above article is a good reference for anyone interested in the subject of head/neck restraints.

Wacha-u-neck!

Kind Regards, Chris

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    this has been covered in many threads. See Porsche rennlist.com discussions and here there have been a few. Search Isaac and Hans. Short answer: somthing better than nothing. HANS is THE standard. Everyone else trys to catch up with a cheaper competing product. Next best device IMO I like the Isaac. Makes more sence to me than HANS and uses some engineering. Isaac is only device that is not position dependant. That makes them a rogue device with either lovers or haters of the device. Sewing machine devices are unfomrtable IMO. They need to be Too tight just to be effective. SRS1 is a rogue in that venue and closest to the Isaac type device. Think Isaac without dampners. Srs1 rolls with the belts then stops your head by a tether. Isaac slows your head dpending on velocity then stops your head by its tether (the end of the dampner travel.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Call SCCA and ask for their testing results. They tested all the devices mentioned in this thread and the best one by far was the HANS device. I wear on and have tried a few of the others.

Yes, the HANS device takes getting used to, and yes it's a bit uncomfortable at first but let's face it we are talking about your head.

Even if you go to the track once a year what's the point of saving money if your head is going to end up like a big bowl of spaghetti.

At last years Watkins Glen FCA event someone broke their neck in a 360 Challenge which went off at medium speed.

I hear peole say...."I don't need one..I am not pushing hard" or "It's too expensive (and they show up in a 360)."

You can be going 70 miles an hour and hit oil or antifreeze and have a hard impact.

If you're on a budget then cost is a concern but if you are driving a 100-200K car and you shouldn't be concerned with buying something cheap to protect your expsensive to fix neck and head.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

6. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    The article in the March issue of Sportscar (SCCA) goes over the pros and cons of all eight (8) of the currently available devices. I did NOT know of this article before I posted my request for info, as it was only delivered to me yesterday.

I am really only considering the G-Force SRS-1 as an upgrade to my current neck doughnut when I'm in my S2000 -- since that car has a roll bar and 4-Point harnesses, and I already own the G-Force hybrid helmet with the clips for the SRS-1. My Ferrari and other cars just have OEM 3 point seat belts, so it can only be the neck doughnut for those cars.

Too bad the article doesn't mention neck doughnuts, as a baseline reference. I'd love to know how the SRS-1 compares to only a neck doughnut. I have to believe it's a big step up in safety, so I am going to proceed with purchasing the SRS-1, and use it in conjunction with my current neck doughnut, in my one car that has harnesses tied to a harness bar.

With respect to the Isaac unit, they were concerned with difficulty getting the driver out of the car, since it is the only device that attaches the helmet to the car's harness. It is also more expensive than all of the other eight (8) devices. Five (5) of the eight (8) devices are essentially a series of straps that go around the drivers body and then tie into the helmet, including one of this type that is only $150. Yes, of course the HANS seems to be the standard by which all are judged for strictly safety (it was the first), but it has the previously noted disadvantages of comfort and movement.

The article is a good read on the subject.

Kind Regards, Chris

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If the exit issue was an issue with SCCA article they did not really look at the device. The Isaac can be release from the harness faster than any device on the market. The Isaac also is the most like no device on when released. Only two small retention clips are on the helmet. Quick release pins hold the dampers to the helmet attachements. See the pics at www.isaacdirect.com

John,

What ever happened to the guy who broke his neck? Is he O.K.?

Also as another data point a guy on rennlist backed into a barrier at about 50-60mph I think and actually bent his isaac dampers and cracked his helmet! So while the 360 may be faster even a VW bug can go 60mph.

8. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Well, the G-Force SRS-1 would NOT fit properly, it seems because of my seat shape affecting the upper harness angle, so I have sent it back. This is after discussions with the dealer and G-Force.

I will next look into one of the many "body-strap" type of devices featured in the above mentioned article, as they seem to be completely independent of car/harness/roll bar/seat fitment issues.

For now, I'm using a neck doughnut which I'm told is merely a helmet support, and not a proper head/neck restraint.

Kind Regards, Chris