Salvaged | FerrariChat

Salvaged

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Uberpower, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Just out of curiosity- has anyone ever purchased a car with prior accident history? There was a 355 on ebay yesterday citing accident history, had a CLEAR title (not SALVAGED)...

I am just wondering if a car like this is safe to drive at indecent speeds... needs a 30k service and 2nd gear synchro replaced.

The car is set at something like $55Kish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2459134130&category=6212

2. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Many folks have purchased vehicles like that, myself included...If the car is fixed correctly and the seller has receipts of the work, it should be fine to drive on the road and at high speeds...

Sometimes a clear title doesn't mean anything...In certain states, a salvage-titled car can be converted to a clear-titled car with no problems...So buyer beware...

Have the car inspected by a professional and look at the car yourself for any signs of shady, slappy repair work (overspray, panels not aligned, orange peel etc)....If there are no signs of slappy work and the PPI checks out fine then this particular car should be as good as new.

I think the fact that the seller has disclosed the repair info although the car has a clear title, indicates that he's not trying to hide anything...Ask questions and talk to the seller.

Good luck - VK

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Look out for valve guides, not all '95 355s have problems with those but if this one does then its something around $10,000. Major service about $8,000. The second synchro ??? So if it sells for $60,000 plus the major then its a $70,000 car. If also it needs the valve guides then its a $80,000. And then what about the synchro? I wouldn't touch it, I can find a good 355 for $85,000 with excellent history.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well A clean title doesn't mean squat. My car had a clean title from another state. Well when I went to register it here, you guessed it, it had a salvage on it. However I think the reason they salvaged it was because of the retarded prices for the parts. My car looks like it had a medium fender bender in the rear. Anyway I have the car and I don't give a squat that it has the salvage on it. I'm not planning on ever selling it so thats why I don't care.