going to ride in a 500hp hotrod tomarow | FerrariChat

going to ride in a 500hp hotrod tomarow

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Prancing_Horse, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I going tomarow

first ill ride in it then go FoW

ill have pictures from both places

Im not that exited tough cuz big block chevys arent my thing. a 360 could easaly beat it.

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I doubt a 360 Could beat it... F-cars aren't made for a straight line.

3. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    ok then

an enzo

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    If it is a properly tuned big block Chevy, even an Enzo will have a hard time catching it in a straight line. While the cars may be rude and crude, you have to respect the power they can produce and the times they can run on a drag strip. Corners are a whole different story though;).

5. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    im still not into that thing

i dont like amercan cars and i dont like modified american cars more

6. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Then why are you going.
    Quit *****ing and have a good time.

7. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    i cant go to FoW if i dont

im a tennager you see

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    How about a 600 hp hotrod? :)

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What type of car is it exactly?

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i agree... If endowed with riches beyond my wildest dreams, i still wouldn't buy myself one of these cars, but i would certainly NEVER turn down a ride in one...

11. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I have a 1900lb Cobra replica with nitrous. The car's idle sounds like its thinking about dying. Mash the gas and most first time passengers heads are spinning when they get out. My Ferrari is more fun to drive, but if you just want to cruise the local stop-light strip for a hoot, an old American car with a hot motor can be perfect.

Oh... and everyone should drive something fast down a real dragstrip just to have done it.

12. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #12 AnotherDunneDeal, Feb 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    650 hp hot rod. Almost identical to my old altered roadster that I ran at the drags. Mine turned 8.90's between 164 mph to 168 mph. Absolute blast. BTW, it would definitely not turn a corner at all. It was even hard to straighten back up if it got crossed up a little off the line.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    just got back

ill post pics soon

14. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    i rode in it

it was pretty fast

here are the pics

15. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    yes i know, the quality sucks

16. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    we did a burn out on this one
    i looked back and there was a huge mark with smoke everywhere

17. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    it was awsome riding in that chevy nova

It was loud and got a few stares

18. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thats sweet. I can only imagine what an 8.90 E/T feels like. No ferrari, past, present or future can or will ever be able come close to that.

19. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Is that a 64 or 65 Nova. Looks like a 350 V8 with about a 750 cfm 4 bbl carb. I had one a long time ago. Still love the boxy look of that little body. The sound is awesome, isn't it?

Yes, people do not realize what and 8.90 et is really like. And the sweet thing is that I had under $20k invested in the car. But, I could not keep one of the 2 speed powerglides in it. I wish I had never sold it.

20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Prancing Horse,

Just one quick question. Do you know what else he did to the engine to get 500 hp. It is very hard to get that much out of a traditional domestic engine without the use of Nitrous or something else. I see no superchargers, turbos or evidence of any real earth shattering modifications. I am just curious. I really enjoy the older muscle car era cars. I could easily believe 375 to 400 hp but 500 hp seems like a real stretch.

21. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    he had a cumputer system, or somthing, im not sure

22. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It actually isnt as hard as you would think. A really hot cam, heads, higher compression, a single stage manifold, headersm a big carb and some octane booster will do it. My friend just had a 377 stroker dropped into his 74 nova, which he matched up to a 700-r4 (OD is sweet for saving gas on the highway! better than the th350 it had before) and that thing was rated at 375hp and 400ftlbs of torqe from the engine builder and it isnt that radical of an engine. Right now its still running the 2in true dual exhaust from the old econobox 350 v8 AND through tall 2.73's with an open diff so when you flooor it off the line it pretty much doesnt move. It just spins the chrome edelbrock wheel and reduces the tire on it to rubber shreds. Once he swaps in the posi and 3.73s and bys a decent exhaust it will be faster than his 12 second '99 SS.
    The Nova, which was once his moms car back whehn she bought it new as a teenager in 74, is now his towing car. He tows his jetski with it. Its sweet because he de did everything on it including the interior and suspension. You wouldnt beleive all the people at the boat ramp that come up and talk about the car and say how nice it is. As you can probably tell, im going to have a musclecar in my garage.

23. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Port and polished heads, blueprinting, balancing, carb, headers, cam and tuning can take a 350 up into the high 400's. My father's Chevy II SS had 485 at the crank. He put in two weekends of tinkering with two friends, one was a master machinist and the other was a tuner. $2,500 in parts and $500 in beer and food and he had a scary fast car that would belt separate tires like no tomorrow.

Sunny

24. vette79

vette79 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    these days it really is pretty easy to get that kind of power out of a smallblock, especially a chevy. a low-buck buildup with spare parts that a machine shop has laying around should still push the 1 hp/ci mark with a decent exhaust and a set of well matched, although lower performance parts so 350 horse and about 400 ft-lbs of torque is very easily attainable for under 4k in parts. to get a basic 350 with budget parts up to 500 horse is quite a feat if it is a streetable engine. but on the other hand, take a small block 400 and hitting the 500 mark is rather easy. i have about 5k in parts in a motor that i am building currently and it should have over 450 ft-lbs of torque from 2k rpms to 5k rpms with a torque peak around the low to mid 500's @3-4k rpms and a horsepower peak barely reaching past the 500 mark @5-6k rpms. should pull hard from 1500 - 6k rpms if everything goes the way i think it will. im hoping that my 285's and 373 posi-trac rear end will help get at least MOST of that power to the ground haha.

25. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ive got a friend whos been rebuilding his 70 GTO for about 6 years and hes almost done. Its a real beautfiul car, and its not even painted yet and hes already recieved very high offers to buy it. It's newer than when it came out of the factory becuase of all the time that went in. Anyway, it has a fully build 455 thats putting out close to 600hp and its supposed to be totally streetable (its not totally together, so it hasnt actually been onthe streets). Not only was it built to be fast in a straight line, but it was built to handle. You would be suprised at how they can take corners when built to!