360 or CS: Screw-mounting equipment in interior? | FerrariChat

360 or CS: Screw-mounting equipment in interior?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Brian C. Stradale, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In the 360 and the Stradale, the center console is mounted on a raised area that runs from front to back. That is an ideal spot to mount some data aquisition equipment. But that raises some questions:
    • I assume under the carpet is aluminum... true? So aluminum screws should be compatible with it?
    • How thick is that aluminum? Can it take the stress of having something screw-mounted into it?
    • How close to the top surface is the stuff that's running through it? How long a screw should I use?
    • Or should I not be screw-mounting anything on top of that?

Further, I want to mount a lap timer display and GPS antenna to the dash... bringing up similar questions:
    • What's the top and face of the dash (under the Alcantara) made of?
    • How thick is that material? Can I screw-mount into it?
    • Anything to watch out hitting underneath?
    • What's the best spot to mount the timer display? Anyone done this? Pics?
    • What's the best spot to mount a GPS antenna? Top of dash against the windshield? Maybe right in front of the driver, centered with the steering
      column, so it looks like it belongs?

Issues? Recommendations?

Thanks!

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Personally I would use body mounting tape. It's available at your local body shop materials supply place, and it will hold up fine. It's made to stick bumpers and trim on cars, so it will keep your equipment in place OK. And if/when you ever remove it, it will just leave some residue that can be cleaned up easily, which won't leave holes in the interior of your car.

My .02

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If you try a magnet on all the rivnuts in any 360 you'll see they're steel. So dont worry about using steel yourself, despite the official line saying otherwise.

If you want to be fussy, spray any rivnuts with zinc before installing.

Double sided tape is the best fix for any small items.

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Steel yes, but with a very heavy cad plating to keep the steel from comming in contact with the aluminum. Any spray coating will likly scratch off when it is installed. Ferrari's offical word is to use Worth rivnuts. When at the factory for training on the 360, they had a Worth rivnut kit setting on the bench in the training room. Unless it is double cad plated, I would shy away from its use in aluminum.
    Dave

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Nope.

The wurth alloy rivnuts are crap. The threads strip out in no time, and it's really hard to get them to pinch tight enough to grip the panel, and not turn when you try to do the screw up, even if you use the knurled type.

I had a genuine rivnut tested, and its a normal cad plated steel one with a zinc painted finish.

All the suspension pick up studs are also cad plated with zinc spray, and they screw into threaded inserts which are cad plated and loctited into the alloy chassis with no zinc spray.

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    No arguement on the Worth alloy ones, not good for anything but a dash panel! Only disagrement was that I think that only electro-cad plated inserts or fastners should come in contact with the aluminum. Spray coatings just do not seem to hold up. I have not tried them all, and do not have any test data to support my belief so I could easily be wrong on this point.
    Dave

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I am not sure if steel zinc plated ones work - in the crimping area I assume you will get surface cracks?

however the aluminum rivet-nuts are a good approach if Brian is willing to drill holes - I however use either stock mounting points or velcro stuff in place - especially if it is electronics

the aluminium rivet-nuts should hold if you use the right drill and if the crimping tool is setup right - the problem starts if you want to avoid vibration loosening of the screws - if you threadlocker I found it will in a lot of cases turn the rivet-nut later on during disassembly

8. BELL'S

BELL'S Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    COSTA MESA. CA. 92626
    Full Name:
    RALPH BELL
    #8 BELL'S, Feb 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We are the Ferrari body shop on the West coast so we have repaired many 360's and have the correct factory tooling & training. We have a separate work area plus separate tools so as not to contaminate the aluminum. My first chose would be double sided tape or velcro. If you must drill holes contact your local aluminum experienced Ferrari shop or you can call me. (714)549-1220
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    thomas

The riv nuts are not zinc plated......thats called galvanising. They are gold colour cadmium plated, then sprayed with a zinc primer spray.

If you fit the rivnut when the zinc spray is still tacky, the paint "heals" over the area of steel to alloy contact.

I fitted the first ones back in 2000. The race cars get pressure washed after almost every outing, and none show any signs of corrosion or electrolosis yet, after about 100 washes with degreaser etc.

Ferrari have changed their manufacturing technique since the '99 cars. They now weld alloy threaded boss's into the chassis if the point is used for electrical grounding. For sub sections and accessories however, the steel/zinc rivnut is still used.

10. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I thought zinc plating was through electrolysis and galvanizing was done by dipping into molten zinc, i.e. metallurgically (sp?) bonded - but I am not an expert in that field - the rivet-nuts I use are "zinc plated steel with yellow dichromate conversion coating" whatever that means - the second paragraph makes sense to me

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ok, the terminology across the oceans is confusing things. Your rivnuts are fine, just use an aerosol zinc primer spray (grey) on them before fitting.