348 Tubi Installation | FerrariChat

348 Tubi Installation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ShanB, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Okay guys, my clutch/flywheel is done and my Tubi will arrive tomorrow ready for install. Other than the fact that it's about 500 lbs less than the twin-cans, what else should I know about it? For those that switched, how do you like the sound compared to OEM?

Are there any tricks to the install, or is it pretty much the same fit into the brackets as the OEM - just less bulky? Has anyone had any problem with the alignment & projection of the tips at bumper? If so, how did you remedy this? Thanks,
    Shan

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    The install should be straight forward. The sound will increase especially for the first 100 miles or so but will mellow down after.

I had one but removed it. I find it loud. It reminded me of my Dinan BMW of the old days so I removed it.

Good luck

3. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Shan,
    I installed a Tubi system on my 348. What I found was to get the system alignment correct was to loosen the connections from the headers to cats, cats to Tubi and Tubi to support brackets. Once you get the components looking good alignment wise then tighten the system down starting at the header to cat connection. The cross member existing support bracket comes off and the spring support brackets get bolted to the Tubi and the frame. I have to go to class right now so I do not have time to load images, but if you need some more help let me know.
    The install should take 2 to 3 hours just taking your time.
    Good luck,
    Jim

4. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The install is very tidy. On mine I freshened up the hardware. I was ordering the stuff from Ferrari but the price was going to be nearly as much as the Tubi!! So I found really nice stainless hardware locally at a tiny fraction of the Ferrari cost.

I just reinstalled my Cats with the Tubi, so I've now had every combination of Stock Exhaust w/Cats, Stock Exhaust w/Testpipes, Tubi w/Testpipes and now Tubi w/Cats.

Tubi w/Test Pipes is definitely the sharpest most aggressive F1 type sound, but I never found it objectionable, and driving through bridges or underpasses at WOT was FANTASTIC! My first impresssion of Tubi+Cats is that it is similar but a bit "muffled" with shome of the sharpness gone, and maybe even a little more bassy and droney (?) while cruising.

The reason I reinstalled my Cats was that the thing was SO stinky with the test pipes, that I tended not to drive the car. It was a very overrich fuel type smell and it got really annoying.

Good luck.

Mark McKenzie

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I agree, it might sound F1 but I think everyones gone tubi mad! Ok the stock exhaust is not that good but there must be a half way house I would not buy a tubi

6. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    My car already had the Tubi on it when I purchased it. I love the sound and couldn't imagine having a stock system.

7. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Stock vs Tubi - instant weight loss for the 348:

8. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I finally got around to installing my Tubi last night. It took about two hours. Re-installed the bumper, bled the clutch and went for a spin to the gas station to test things out. The first thing I noticed was the deep barritone sound - not objectionably loud but some resonance (boominess) going slow and under load. Also the car revs more freely than before. So far so good - then exited the subdivision and entered the highway, cruising at the speed limit at 3,000 RPM thinking "hey, nice sound...I like it" and took it easy for several miles.....

Then approached the gas station exit...briefly downshifted and accelerated to pass a truck and....WOW! There was the "F1-style" sound I wanted all along. All I could think was, WOW!!!... I topped off and cruised back home still grinning. I'm definitely happy with my used Tubi.

Here's a shot of the engine bay with Tubi in place. Definitely more room than before:

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Are you going to replace the fiberglass heatshields, or just leave them off? I suppose without the double-chamber exhaust, you might not need the shield, huh?

Looks great!!

10. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I would have them on. Look better and will not melt plastic on back of rear lights.

11. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I did plan to put the heat shields back on after repainting. It gets pretty hot back there.

12. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    The 2b looks great Shan. Can't wait to hear it. How are your cats? Could you tell if they have been hollowed out or if they are still in place? Do you get the rich fuel smell from your set up?

13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks Kelly - the cat's are still in place, but....you could say I now have "test cats". When I took my muffler off, I saw most of the catalyst was broken and was blocking the outlet of both units. No rich fuel smell so far. Actually there's less fuel smell now than before and the car runs a little cooler. The sound is awesome.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Right on Shan. Your becoming an old pro. See these cars aren't hard to work now, are they? So when are you gonna jump into the deap end with the big boys, and pull that engine? Muuuahahahaaaaaa. It's no bigger a deal than your clutch job. Anyway awesome work.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Shan,

If you have broken internals in the cats they are worse than having whole cats. I thought going with hollow cats was a good idea. So I did it. I liked it. Then I welded up some straight test pipes. OMG the car breaths way better than hollow cats. I say hollow your cats if they are broken otherwise leave cats stock or go with testpipes. The sound is way better with testpipes and challenge exhaust than hollowcats and challenge exhaust. With testpipes you can feel an increased flow with your hand at the tailpipes. Hey I need a quiet exhaust to run at Laguna seca which has a 92db limit. My challenge exhaust with test pipes is way over 100db. Are you interested in selling me your stock exhaust?

16. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Billy - Am I reading this right, you want to get rid of your challenge exhaust? I picked your brain a while back about converting a 2-can 348 exhaust into just such an animal, but I never got around to it. If you are looking for a stock 2 can exhaust, we could trade?

-John

17. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Billybob

You can use mine for the weekend if you want. You'll just have to come up and get them before you go. It will be easy to get since I STILL have the engine out. LOL. Anyway if you wanna borrow my twin coffee cans your welcome to them.

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Shan
    It'll change its note a bit (for the better in my opinion) after it's seen a bit of use.
    Yup, great sound.
    Philip

19. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My 348 tubi exhaust hookup is identical to Shan's.
    I just bought a challenge exhaust friday that is identical to this pic.
    Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to hook this thing up?

20. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Ernie - Thanks for the kudos. Some days I feel like I'm still on the porch watchin' the big dogs play, but I'll get there one day!

Billybob - I think I'll hold on to the exhaust in case I ever sell the car. The catalyst was broken on both so I hollowed the cats. I may try the straight pipes at some point if I can find them for reasonable money.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A mid point between a Tubi and the stock two can 348 mufflers would be to use a 348 Spider muffler, which is a single can design and does give a few more hp. I would suggest ceramic coating them as well as the headers as it looks great and holds heat in for more hp and a cooler engine compartment.