need 308 purchase advise | FerrariChat

need 308 purchase advise

Discussion in '308/328' started by mwhite, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    I am looking for a 308 gts or gtsi. I have been looking thoughout the threads about ebay and using it only as a location service. I love the grey color on these models and there are two available on ebay right now. An 82 with 26k and an 85 with 31k. All else being equal (ppi), what advice can you guys give me to help my decision?

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    They are pretty different hp wise and I'm guessing price as well. I think the QVs are the best of the 308s all around and most refined. A lot of people perfer the early pre-cat carb version for the sound of the carbs and simplicity. The GTSi is the cheapest. What's best really depends on what you're expecting from the car.

3. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    being biased, I'd go with the 85. Always best to go with the final production year. Although, the carbed 308 are great too. Assuming that things are in order. Just my 2 cents.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Between the two, if the only major difference is 5K miles, then go with the '85 308QV.

5. vogel

vogel Karting

Jun 21, 2001
    Powder Springs, GA
    Full Name:
    Charles Byrd
    I have a 77 308, which is a carb model, and I love it, but if I were to pick between the two you have mentioned, I would go with the 85qv.

6. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    If your looking at the miles, check about the service at 30k.

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You'll get a lot better car w/ the qv, many of us would tell you to stay away from the 82, for horsepower reasons alone.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Every Ferrari I've seen advertised has been low milage and in perfect condition. They all look perfect in the pictures, spend the money to see the car in person and have it looked at by a professional. Personally I love the sound of the carbs but after driving a friends QV I think I am hooked! All things being equal... Go with the QV and make sure you don't get the TRX metric rims, even the 14" are better.

9. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    thanks for the advice. Does anyone know someone who can do a PPI in St. Louis?

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    For all practical purposes, the is absolutely no difference between the 26K and 35K.

The better car is the QV. If you are like me and don't see life as a 0-60 race the 82 is fine. The only real performance difference you will feel is only after 60 mph anyway and besides both of these cars are S-L-O-W by todays standards.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As a side note: Please remember the 84 and 85 QV had measures taken to the metal body parts to resist rusting.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin