Alternatives to windshield washer fluid?? | FerrariChat

Alternatives to windshield washer fluid??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JIMBO, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Is there an alternative to the gallon jugs of winshield washer fluid sold at auto parts stores? Can a similar concoction be brewed at home (2 shots of windex, a jigger of car wash soap and an eye of newt)? Is there any real benefit to the orange "Rain-Ex" type vs. the generic blue stuff? I figure since the oil thread was beat to death, Ali Haas and the engineering folks might want to joust at a new windmill... :)
    ...Jim

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sheesh, ya gotta be kidding!

At max, a gallon of washer solvent might cost $1.89.

I can't believe I responded to your post!!!

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Rookie

Aug 23, 2003
    Palos Verdes, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jimbo,
    I don't think that you are totally out-of-line with your wondering about a homebrew windshield cleaner. Yes, the store jugs of the blue stuff are cheap - but the formulations are many times poor in effectiveness. The store jugs are probably just water with a blue dye and some type of alcohol added to lower the freezing temperature. I recall that after testing various cleaning products, Consumer Reports magazine would try to create a product in their lab that was superior to the commercial product but with readily available ingredients. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be doing this any more in their tests. The commercial products work for me with dirt, but not so good with the splattered insect on the windshield or the road oil with water spray after a recent rainstorm. Perhaps, someone has a special homebrew formula that works wonders on a filthy windshield that beats all the commercial products.

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Fact is, the store bought brew works great. And it does remove the scum on the inside of the windows.

Another trick is, when the car won't be driven for awhile, crack the windows open. This is what I do when I store my cars.

Let the interior breathe!

5. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I'm a Rain-X believer, and use it on my windows, and use the pink stuff in my washers. I also use distilled water in the mix because the tap water up here is full of nasty stuff. I also use it in the coolant for my cars. In fact I use so much of it I bought a lab distiller (Dura-Still) about 20 years ago - one of my best investments. It makes a gallon in about 3 hours which costs about $0.25 (@8.5 cents a kWh). You ought to see the junk left in the bottom of the boiling tank. Uggggh!

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    re:"Is there any real benefit to the orange "Rain-Ex" type"
    Well, it's good and...
    It leaves a nice water repellant film on the windows. Water beads & blows off at any speed above 15 mph or so. Often don't need to use the wipers.

If your wiper pump has a very slow leak that lets it drip onto your spare tire's rim, it'll dry to a purple stain that's impossible to remove w/o stripping the paint(Been there, done that). Even called their customer servce dept that swore 'mineral spirits' would always remove it. I'd already tried it, didn't work after soaking overnight!. I'd then escalated to lacquer thinner after ms didn't work. When I told him that he talked to his supervisor & insisted I must have used something that wasn't mineral spirits(sigh). One of these days I'll get the right color silver paint & strip the rim.