328 Door Stop Problem | FerrariChat

328 Door Stop Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robert Mann, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    I know that I am not the only one who has had this 328 problem. Which is the driver's door popping when it opens and closes because the door stop shaft (detent) is making the noise behind the panel as it goes throught the rollers. My question is - Can this be fixed by taking the shaft out and dressing down the area or does it need to be replaced, or does more than the shaft need to be replaced ?

Thanks

Robert Mann

2. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Well, After hours of moving everything around and looking at the problem, it seems as if it is the actual mechanism which is located behind the tin plate and behind the pillar reinforcement. As far as I can tell, it cannot be properly lubricated and cleaned without being taken out and off of the 328. Now here is the problem, I cannot find a way to get it out without taking the left front tire as well as the left side inner panel off to gain access to where it is bolted on. This seems as if it is a great deal of problem just to stop a popping noise, but I like everything to be right.

Does anyone have a simple way to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Robert Mann

3. martinlaw

martinlaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Hi,

I had the same problem, tried spraying grease into the appropiate area but did not make any difference.

What cured the problem was to take out the spring pin that holds the links together (you can see them from the inside the car)

The holes wear to an oval shape and it is the movement at this joint that caused my problem.

I replaced the spring pin with a small bolt (tight fit).

If wear is too bad you may need to redrill the holes before filling a bolt.

Hope this helps,
    Martin.

4. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Martin,

Thank you so much !

I will try it tomorrow.

Robert

5. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Martin,

I tried what you said and it solved the problem.

Thank you for the help,

Robert