First transaxle? | FerrariChat

First transaxle?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Horsefly, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    What year did Ferrari first put a transaxle in one of their cars? Road or race? For that matter, what was the first year that ANYBODY put a transaxle in their cars? (I don't really consider a VW as a real car!) I was just wondering about this while studying up on the 1961-3 Pontiac Tempest which used a front engine with rear transaxle. The Ferrari 275GTB used a transaxle but that wasn't until a few years later. Don't tell me that Ferrari copied the idea from a Pontiac???!!!

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Good question

250LM springs to mind, need to think longer for .......Dino SP race series maybe?

3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Many of the 4 & 6 cyl. competition cars, Monza and Mondial for example, had the transaxles in the rear.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    1st Ferrari road car to use a transaxle (rear-mounted five-speed) was the '65 275 GTB.

According to this article, front-drive Miller 91 racers were 1st to use transaxles... check out the year - 1926.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    But the 250LM is a road car. Year of production is before 275

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I recall that Enzo Ferrari bought, prepared, and raced some Alfas with transaxles (through Scuderia Ferrari) before he began building his own cars.

Kind Regards, Chris