Best "Independent" Ferrari Service In Portland? | FerrariChat

Best "Independent" Ferrari Service In Portland?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Red Baron, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    Just a quick request for those of you in the Portland Oregon area. I have a 96 355 Spider that I'd like to have looked at and serviced, and I'm looking for the best independent shops around. I'm thinking "top notch service at reasonable prices..." Tonkin can be fairly expensive for some services, and I'm looking for the best "non-dealership" Ferrari professionals in town.

Can anyone in the Portland area offer suggestions? Thanks in advance for steering me to a shop that knows Ferrari's, how to treat them properly, and is reasonable in price.

2. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I'm considering having a machine shop re-surface the flywheel $3200 that came out of my car. Tonkin said it can't be resurfaced, however I'm a professional and what they described they've tried before that didn't work was not sufficiently extensive a rebuild to have worked anyway. I'm going to investigate what could be done with the two damaged parts total ($4000) to recover them. I'm a professional Mechanical Engineer by training. If they can be refurbished at a reasonable cost I'll sell them or keep them rather than crome them an hang them on the garage wall.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I wonder if chroming could be one way of building up material on the flywheel so it can be re-used again?

4. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    Guys,

I'm just looking for independent shops that do work on Ferrari's and have a great reputation for work they've done in the past. Can anyone offer up any shops from personal (or even second hand) experience?

Thanks for any directives on this one...

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Ooops! Sorry dude, kind-of strayed off the topic. I don't know of any indie shops in Portland.

6. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I responded in Gen F Discussion

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I've used Dick Guthrie (ATD) on many occasions and have been tickled to death with him. He's always been fair with prices, and tries to save the customer money, where possible. Makes intelligent decisions as to whether to replace or rebuild components. Also, he lets you bring in your own parts.

I brought in a new A/C compressor, as mine was leaking severely. He fixed my old one for less than the new one cost, so I returned the new one.

As with many independents, tho, don't be in a huge rush to get your car back. He can get quite busy.

8. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I can happily report that as of October 2004 ATD (Dick and Linda Guthrie) provide top knotch service as they were able to get my 400i through Oregon DEQ which is not an easy task with minimal headache and excellent service.
    -steve

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Again straying from the subject but to relate my own experience with fried flywheels.

I had a cooked flywheel that exibited cracks in the surface. I had it turned enough to clean up the discoloration and damage but found out later that the heat damage goes pretty deep where the really hot spots occured. The temper in the metal changed in these areas and created surging when slipping the clutch. I took it back off and had .060" taken off. Afterwards it was like brand new.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I read at Sports Car Market Magazine that ATD is good. I, too, am starting to search as I will be moving to Oregon sometime December or January.

Ron