Anyone know of a good place for an inspection of a 512 BBi: Bay Area? | FerrariChat

Anyone know of a good place for an inspection of a 512 BBi: Bay Area?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by ralfabco, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Greetings:

Anyone know of a shop that does hi-quality inspections of
    512BBi's ? I am looking for an experienced shop that knows
    Boxers. I want the inspection to include a leak down and
    compression check. I am looking for a shop in the Silicone
    Valley region. Silicone Valley Auto Group is not an option at
    this time.

Ralph

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    If SVAG is not an option, try Mark Spencer of Veloce Speed Design. His number is 408-369-9792.

www.velocespeedesign.com

Good luck!

3. wmcalister1

wmcalister1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Definitly see Mark, He will get the job done. Right now he is moving into his new location, but still working out of his old location. Check on time when he will be fully up and running. Works well with club members and will tell you straight.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Wm,
    You have a private message.

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    ralph,

Send it up to my house. I'll make sure the tires are round and spinning smoothly at speed. :)

Vincent.

6. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Try Prancing Horse in Burlingame. It's my understanding they are the best in the Bay Area for vintage up to 355's. I couldn't get my car in because I was in a hurry and they were loaded up with work and couldn't get to it for a couple of weeks. However, they were very curteous and came very well recommended.

Chris

7. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    I agree with Chris. Why should I? Because that's where I take my 512TR. Dayal is really the only guy that works on the F-cars and he's fanatical about even the smallest details. I've seen him do great restoration work and customer service tends to be a priority until you start telling him how to do his job.

8. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Familiarity with Boxers is vital for this endeavor.

I echo the sentiments of Grigio 512TR and Chris. Dayal (pronounced "Dale" for expediency) is a virtuoso with older cars. He has done awesome, show-winning restorations. His number is 650 558-8255 (a number shared with nationally known broker and regular contibutor to Forza magazine, Brandon Lawrence). I do not agree that Dayal's the only guy around. Brandon told me Mark Spence (of Veloce) knows his stuff but may have time management issues. Also, make sure he know Boxers.

Dayal's shop is often backed up with big jobs. Some times I've had to wait 2 or 3 months for any service at all.

Tony Palladino of Modena Motors in Redwood City also enjoys an excellent reputation, but he really likes the new cars and may not be taking new customers. (He decided to reclaim his weekends.) He is also a Tubi dealer.

As an alternate to himself, Tony has recommended Patrick Otis in Berkeley. First ask if they know Boxers. 510 849-3553.

If Monterey is convenient, try John Bagioli at Fiorano Motors 831 655-4943. In the most recent Forza magazine, Winston Goodfellow turns to John when his loaner 360 doesn't start (see cover story, "Maserat vs 360"--a laughable title but a fun diversion to read.) John's a good guy, but if his shop is jammed full, well, ... a PPI may not be practical since PPIs tend to require quick turnaround.

ALL the good independents seem to be very busy.

Don't bother with Ferrari of San Francisco. Also, I have never heard good things about Prestige Autohaus in Walnut Creek. Is that okay to say?

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    David,

Nice post, Thanks!

Vincent.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Patrick Ottis gets my vote.

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    David,

Nicely put. Good points about Tony. He's booked at least 6 months and isn't taking on any projects right now. I feel bad wasting his time, as I spend 2-3 hours / week there. It's nice to see him coming back ot the family. Now we've just got to get him out in a car! :D

--Dan

12. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris