Talk to me about C4 | FerrariChat

Talk to me about C4

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Texas Forever, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, I mean the car not the explosive! I'm looking for a sporty daily driver, drop top, auto (my wife can't drive a stick), and under $35K. I have never had a Vette so was thinking that maybe it's time.

So how about it you Vette guys. Any years to look for or avoid? General problem areas? Are any of the special editions worth the bucks?

Thanks in advance

Dr "See the USA in a Chevrolet" Tax

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Dale, William H recently purchased a C4 convertible. The 1996 collector's edition cars are very nice. Also to consider are the 96 Grand Sport models and the ZR-1 model. FWIW, I enjoyed my vette but it pales in comparison to the newer C5 cars(if you like the look of the C5). I had no problems to speak of. The reliability is quite high and they are very livable as a daily driver. A drop top C5 can be easily had for under $35,000. The same money will get you an extremely fine example of whatever flavor of C4 if that's the style you prefer.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You can buy an 89 ZR-1 for under 35k. Like tyler said you can get a C5 convertible for $35k and they are much better cars. A 99-00 with medium miles will be in your price range. Since you want an auto, you are lucky, as they tend to have a lower resale value.

4. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    The ZR-1 and GS are only available in manual and the ZR-1 only as a coupe.

I have been told that the collector's edtions are overrated. The only difference is they have special paint and badging. If your wife likes the color, then it is worth it.

As with any other car, experts typically say avoid the first years.

Automobile Magazine goes a little farther by recommending that you skip the first C4s all together and get the redesigned later ones. (91-96)

I, personally, have never own one, but I do know several owners.

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I'm doing my due diligence (Ha, if I put as much effort into my investments as my cars, I'd have mo money for cars.) Only problem with the C5 and, to a lesser extent, the C4 is fit. I like to sit up straight versus reclining. After I get the seat how I like it, I get a great view of the visor <sigh>.

But the C4 fits better than the C5. Plus, I'm sure that C5 are gonna take a major depreciation hit now that the C6 is out. (Although after owning a Ferrari, Vette depreciation and part prices are, eh, chump change.)

But I may still go for a C5 because I'm thinking of ripping out the stock seats and putting some racer seats in.

I'm also considering a 2000/2001 Boxster S and the 91/92 911s.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I have abandoned my Enzo Caddy idea.

Dr. "Crusing Down the Road in Cold Blue Steel" Tax

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    95 is probably the best year.The optispark was fixed for the 95-96.The suspension is softer on the 96 than the 95.I do love the collector's edition myself with the A-mold wheels.Grand Sports seem to be holding the most value.800 coupes and 200 verts I believe were made.I would expect some cowl shake.The verts have a xbrace so I don't know how bad it will be.For 35K you can probably get a C5.The C4 has a intimacy that the C5 doesnt have because it feels like alot bigger car.

7. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    O.K. don't buy a C4 the C5's are world class. They are soooo much better then a C4. There ride, quality, reliability, Everything is better. But I like the looks of the C4 too.
    As far as the Porsche 911, drive one you might like the feel, but for me I HATE the feel, the stick is way to far away and low for the seating position. For me. But I love the looks of the 911. The 996 fits me good tho.
    For the price you can't beat a C5. Good luck on your search, let us know what you find.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

All, I'll admit that this is a sickness, "Hi, My name is DrTax and I have a major car/motorcycle jones..."

With a Maranello and 1970 Triumph Bonneville in the garage and a E55 in the driveway, you'd think I'd be happy. But N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

I'm just pondering my next toy. Sometimes the hunt is as much fun as the kill. But, I really do appreciate all your comments.

Nighty Nite.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Oh, and one more thing....

What about a nice 308 GTS instead of a C5. I know, I know, I said that I had to have a slush box to please the wife, but...

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    geeze aawil! DID YOU HAVE TO SAY "OPTISPARK" lol i have had several of the newer LT1 cars and only 2 LS1 cars.... i hated the way the water pump sits in front of the OPTI, it leaks and kills it...... the opti goes bad and you have to get another aluminum, reverse flow water pump for $220.00 plus the whole OPTI set up. like the man said compared to fcar parts/ owner ship, the vette is still a great deal. i have been having serious thoughts about keeping my old 4 speed vette, but in order to get a fcar( i have chosen a euro 308gtb, finally!) i need to get rid of the vette to make room!! i like the refinement of the c5 over the c4, but it sounds like DR TAX already has some preferences in mind. either way i am sure it will be "FUN!".

11. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    How 'bout a 928? Those were awesome and I hear that good deals aren't hard to find.

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Personally, I would avoid a C4 like the plague. Several reasons

1) HORRIBLE resale... "just when you think they can't go any lower... there you go!". Unless you are buying a 10+ year old car, it has a ways to go, IMO

2) HORRIBLE reliability. I have had 3 C4's. Everything breaks... all the time. Stupid stuff like a wiper motor, cruise control, climate control computer, ad nauseum. Its like chasing a weasel in a heating duct maze.... you keep thinking you got it cornered, only to discover another twist in the saga

3) The biggest reason not to buy is the abysmal chassis flex. These cars have TERRIBLE chassis flex. It causes them to rattle shake and creak. With 30k miles, it feels like a new car with 120k miles. If you take the roof out, its even worse! This was always my #1 complaint with the car. It's highly noticeable and IMO unforgiveable that GM used this chassis for 12 years without "fixing" it

4) Small interior. If you are even average sized, it will probably feel even smaller. Small may be OK, but I sold my '95 because the parking brake dug into my leg even though the seat. I could not do 100 miles in the car without being in pain. No way I was gonna do that.

My .02. They are fun cars, but better as a quick beater car, not as a serious car to put some miles on.. all IMO of course.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hearing you guys talk about optisparks is making me think I'm at a Impalachat room and not Ferrari. I really hate optisparks worst placement ever too.. C4s arent that bad of a car cheap to buy and cheap and easy to maintain. It'd be a fun car to have, and the LT1 is a really good and really strong engine

14. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    This is a great time to grab a C5. You can get a brand new C5 for $9-10K off MSRP. This is like $41K for a brand new vert. Worth a thought.

If you can stand the style of the C5 it is said to be an outstanding car.

Go to www.z06vette.com hit forum button. At the bottom you will see ross downing. Click on that. Just to give you an idea.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yea impala( lol) i have a friends with a dealers license that buys over 5000 cars a month. he gave me a 96 camaro SS, white with the orange stripes with a 6 speed. i put in a new water pump, opti, fixed the infamous intake oil leak and replaced those damn air pump valves. the car ran great for 2 days, then #6 piston broke a skirt while siting at a train crossing. darn motor was RUNNING on all 8 cyl, with no check engine light. i chopped up the whole car in 2 hours for parts. ( i am the carreaper ya know!) guys on the z28/ta boards were like.......ohhhhhh yea there was a bad run of LT1 engines with a bad batch of pistons..... geeze now you tell me!!!!!!! i will never own or work on another one of those 4th gen f bodies again!!!! ( i like the old ones more anyway) LONG LIVE CARB CARS!!!!!!! :O)

16. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    For that kind of money, buy a vintage vette; maybe its not gonna have matching numbers, or be a 99 point car in the shows, but its gotta have more panache, can probably go pretty fast in a straight line and you won't lose money. I like the 67 big block coupes but those are obviously fetching big money. The 66 may be cheaper, and i always loved the 63 split window. I know one place that specializes in them, pro-team (not vouching for 'em just know that they have a big inventory of vintage 'vettes). I am not terribly knowledgeable in these cars, so i'll let others who know more chime in.

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I live in Miami & I bought my 93 C4 roadster to go to school & back. I am Very happy with the car although they seem to have a few electric gremlins, nothing serious, just my electric door locks & the interior lights seem to have a mind of their own. Thats about the only serious negative.

I really like the car, it looks great, power is good, I replaced the stock discs & rotors with porterfields s now she stops much better. I will be replacing the exhaust for better sound & the intake for a few more hp

I got an auto box cus she lives in traffic most the time & I use her for cruising South Beach so I save my shifting for the 512TR

I bought her in Teal with white & I love the colors, Actually thinking of getting a 2nd C4 roadster for CT but I'd get a red on red up there :)
    Good Luck

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I am very tempted tp put in an order on a C6 roadster. I have not experienced bad chassis flex or bad reliability & the C4 is Much better looking than the C5

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, full disclosure here. (BTW, don't you just love car guy talk even in off topic?) As some of you know, I'm planning a road trip to Pebble Beach this August. Notice I didn't say a drive or a run. I said a road trip. This means no super slabs, no AAA preplanned route tied to Holiday Hotels and Big Macs. No anal, micro-managing, gasoline saving, effiecieny experts need apply.

In August, this does mean heading to the mountains as fast as possible. I might leave Houston around supper time and start rocking n' a rolling through the night to Billy the Kid land in New Mexico. Crash and then maybe head to 4 Corners to pick up some mystic Mojo. From there, I'll take a look around and see which way the wind blows. Utah and Nevada are awful big states with lots and lots of history. Maybe I'll take the old Outlaw trail, maybe the old Pony Express trail, maybe I'll take some old Ute Indian trails, maybe I'll forge the DrTax trail. As the sign on the Pranksters old bus used to say, "Further."

Plan A was to drive the Maranello out and back, and I might still do that.

I then remembered that even the roads less traveled out West are pretty straight and long, and driving the Beast would be a waste of miles. Plan B became (1) Shipping the Mary Fellow and (2) driving an Enzo Cadallic. I'm talking about a red, late 60s, drop top, with horns on the front and a wing on the back.

I still might do this, but lately I've been thinking about getting a non-Ferrari sports car instead of a Caddy. You see, if I get the Caddy, I'll have to flip it when I get back because using a 60's drop top in Houston as a daily driver will not a whole lotta fun because we get serious rain here.

Plus, using a sports car instead of a Caddy might be more in tune with the nature of this trip. (Although an Enzo Caddy on the drive around Monterery might get more looks than a real Enzo. There will be s-o-o-o many Ferraris!)

Here's my short list of requirements --

1. Nothing older than say the 70s. I don't want to fight the collector/speculator market. (Bill, there goes your 60s Vette. Although, I still like the idea. But if I went there, I'd get a 66/67 G-T-O. Always loved that Goat.)

2. It's gotta have one hell of an AC. In August, we can be talking about some serious heat. This knocks out most of the Porsches up to 1990.

3. In order to sell my wife on the idea (although she gave up on me a long time ago), it needs to have a slush box so she can drive it if necessary.

4. It needs to be a convertible so I can display my gold tooth.

5. It needs to make a statement. When I roll into some dusty town, I want the locals to know that they are looking at some serious Mojo. I'm not talking about NBA fakey doo Bling Bling. I'm talking about the real deal.

So what are your thoughts?

Yesterday, I went and sat in a C4, and I can make it work, I think. I'd need to replace the Lazy Boy seat with something lower and straighter. Put on glass packs. Repaint it, say, tangerine metalflake, eh?

Or I could be more rational and get a Boxster S with a tip. Or maybe a 91/92 911 cab.

Or howza bout a M3 in orange!

Or, screw the A/C, slush box crap, how about getting one of those late model Chatham replicas and outfitting it as a rally car. Now we're talking some serious Mojo! "Say hey Mama have you heard the news, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

I better quit while I'm ahead, or behind.

But your thoughts rational or otherwise will, as always, be appreciated.

Thx, Dale

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    William, I haven't been looking long enough to know if the following are real cars, but they do look interesting --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2459695350&category=6168

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2459603955&category=6168&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thx, Dale

21. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't know if there is a M3 auto.

I like the idea of a Boxster S. Don't know if you can get one for $35K.

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Dr.Tax
    I came very close to buying a 964 before I decided on my S2000 and I did a lot of research on them and still have the notes so if you want some info on things to look for (problem areas) pm me.
    I agree that looking is half the fun!
    Rob

23. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    I have a S2000 it's a great car better than the Z3 I owned before it. But MT only. Why don't you teach your wife how to drive stick?

The new 350Z vert looks like a good car too.

Older cars don't forget the porsche 968 cab.

24. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ok, how about finding one of those cut 400A from the mid to late 80s. Big trunk, dual air, V12, auto and the top comes down. Guaranteed that nobody on your route has seen one, and you can still paint it metalflake if you want. They're tough to find, but if you were seriously in the market I think they would come out of the woodwork.

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have a 964 C4 and am very happy with it. That said, after reading your list, go find a Dakkar yellow M3 with a slush box. They're out there. Should meet all of your needs and you might be able to find a drop top in that price range.