Car-swapping | FerrariChat

Car-swapping

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TestShoot, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Just curious, when you guys do get togethers, how comfortable are you with swapping cars for a short spin. ie the SoCal boys, say from CCove to the Sidestreet Cafe.

We seem to all be in a rather exclusive club of $100k+ cars, so I am putting out the feelers to maybe ask a question some others may be afraid to ask.

Hey, I used to let my neighbor cruise my 550 and I would take his C4 out, so I am pretty cool with it, the only thing is don't ask to borrow my girl.

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Anytime somone in a newer ferrari wants to swap with my <$20k 308 GT4, it's fine with me :)

Actually, I'd love to try an F1 shifter if anyone is willing.

Dom

P.S.- And Jordan, my offer to let you drive my car is still open...

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Ill swap anyone for a 6 cyl Mustang :) May not handle like a Ferrari, but its...fun...ish

Dom Id love to! Thanks for the offer! Maybe one of these days :)

4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Mi Cavallino es su Cavallino

(sorry I speak French not Spanish)

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Only people i know and trust get to take my car without me in it, and its not even a sportscar.
    Does anyone know the specifics with insurance? ie. what happens if someone crashes my car with me not in it, or with me in it, etc?

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Obviously using your own discretion. I'd probably let Jordon take it for a spin for example, but of course swap driver's licenses et cetera.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting thread.

For me trying out other Ferraris is part of the entire Ferrari experience. Basically I "collect" other drives. Got seven so far. Comparing other models is really cool I think and gives you a much better understanding of what it is all about. Also once you do that, you kinda give up on the thing about "better and lesser Ferraris". They're just different and from different times.

As far as swapping goes, I had mixed reactions: Got turned down several times including a GT/4 owner (don't get me wrong, I absolutely do not look down on these, it is just that if you want to bring the $$$ argument into play, a 308QV costs a bit more, but was still turned down). On the other hand I also got "upgraded": Had the pleasure of driving a 456 GT for an entire afternoon. The owner sitting next to me encouraging me to go faster. Very nice, but I do respect a vehicle with that much power and which I do not own (heck I wouldn't have driven even if it had been my car).

So, testshoot, I wish you good luck. Don't expect open arms, but sometimes you get lucky. If you ever want swap Ferrari keys with me, be my guest (heck, I swap keys with Corvette and Beemer owners as well, as long as it is a cool car).

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, and Dom: Wish we could meet one day. I'm still missing a GT/4 drive in my collection.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I have let numerous people drive my cars...

--Dan

10. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    TestShootCom

>I used to let my neighbor cruise my 550 and I would take his C4 out,
    >so I am pretty cool with it, the only thing is don't ask to borrow my girl.

Why would one ask _you?

>TestShootCom

slip

[Girls are like cars, but girls aren't private property.
    They turn of their own accord/desire.
    The more exotic the sharper the turns ...

>Will some one please shoot her.
    >****ing crybaby, she makes women in the military look bad.
    >She says she went down praying during the ambush, obviously the military was not for her.
    >Damned weakening of the process to let physically/mentally inferior troops in.
    >
    >Stand, fight. The basic principle of bootcamp. Shoot her Gunney too while you are at it.
    >
    >Damned traitors.

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's a mess not worth screwing with. First, your insurance can totally deny your claim unless said person is on contract as an eligible driver. And second, should something bad happen and your car is crashed into another vehicle/property/etc., that person can go after you even if you weren't driving/in the car.

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I was curious to see what peoples' impressions, like mentioned, it is a way to see and appreciate other cars, that you may or may not really want to buy, but the driving experience.

Ontogenetik-
    I gave up on the pettiness of that thread a while ago, maybe you should let it go.

13. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    At the Atlantic City F-chat golf get together people were swapping cars.

Everyone seemed cool about it!

I let people drive the car who I trust will not go to crazy and will be able to handle the car. I am willing to swap out for another F-car anytime.

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I have swapped cars with a few fellow F-chat members in the NY/Tri-State region and it has always been a fun exchange. Does that make us swingers? :)

15. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >I was curious to see what peoples' impressions, like mentioned,
    >it is a way to see and appreciate other cars, that you may or may not really want to buy,
    >but the driving experience.

Driving a car isn't synonymous with owning a car

>Ontogenetik-
    >I gave up on the pettiness of that thread a while ago, maybe you should let it go.

Nor a 'car'

>Does that make us swingers?

What does that make the car? ;)

16. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    Discussions like this one is a good example of why I just can't get enough of Ferrarichat.com. Being cool enough to let a real enthusiast get behind the wheel shows a level of generosity that is unsurpassable. Those who have shared their love of automotive art with others deserve very high praise in my mind. Owners of cars that one is considering purchasing prove to be invaluable resources to avoid potential pitfalls when it comes to buying a certain make and model. Other than a test-drive, how can you be sure what the fuss is all about? Koodos to those owners who are big enough to share the joy.

-Jay.

17. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is exactly why i am usually hesitant to let others drive my car, even with me in it, no matter how good of a driver the person is. They are called accidents for a reason. You never plan on them happening. Also, the best driver in the world cant avoid being rearended by some idiot.

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think it matters on the conditions and how confident you are in the driver. If the guy owns an f-car chances are he won't abuse yours and will treat it nicer then you would if you were driving and he was riding. I really believe that. Over the last few years I have driven tons of cars from my moms H2 to my dad's 355 and tons of my friends cars in between. If the owner is in the car chances are that everything will work out. My boss just got a new SL55 and he had no problems about letting me drive it with him in the car, even though I didn't ask to drive it. I switched after a few miles though just because I don't like to push someone else's car. When we switched seats he really showed me what was up. Off-topic that car is amazing. I am not saying the owner would abuse his car, but we all know he will push his car more then you would so you are probably less likely to get into an accident. My dad had no problems letting Augustine drive his 355 infact he kind of forced him to. It isn't like you are taking the car all day you are probably only driving it for like 20 min on roads you know aren't crowded because you were probably on them a half hour earlier in your own f-car. That is just what I think.
    Erik

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Drivers license? I need one of those?

just joking :)

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You can drive mine. :)

21. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Here is my question for the F-car swappers out there-

If you blip the throttle / double clutch on yours, do you request other drivers to do the same?

Just curious. I will probably try to blip the throttle when I get my Mondial.

Mike

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I find that most owners are very amenable. I have let SOOOO many people drive my car - after all, it's just a damn car. The best is when there's someone who clearly isn't going to be buying one soon for whatever reason. Giving them a ride and then stopping to let them drive - they remember it for life.

A great example, I just met up with Luke this evening briefly, and he was kind of enough to let me drive his 250GTE (which absolutely spoiled me, despite my horrid driving. :D )...of course I was more than happy to force him to drive the 550 to compare. Thanks Luke - with a bit of practice I should have those shifts down to butter.

The point is ... it's a car. If **** happens, you have insurance. I checked with mine, I am covered for all drivers (who can, fo course, legally drive). So if something happens, while it's bad, it's certanily not the end of the world. And more likely than not, everything will be fine, which means that both people walk away feeling great.

--Dan

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It also varies per insurance companies, but I know my contract specifically will deny insurance if someone isn't on the policy.

Does that mean I wouldn't allow someone to drive my car? No. But it would be under very specific circumstances. Maybe on the freeway with moderate traffic, but high speed driving and cornering on city streets or even perhaps a nice windy road are no-no's in my car unless I really know the person very well. Even then I'd be hesitant.

Sorry, this country is just far to litigious.

There was a story in Sports Car Market some years ago. I'll sum it up, but son buys father a truck. Son's name is the lienholder on title. Father lets friend borrow truck. Friend crashes truck, kills other driver. Other driver sues insurance, father, and son because he's lienholder (or even just on the title, doesn't matter). Everyone loses home in court because of judgement against them.

Made me think twice about a lot of things.

24. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    One of the FCA members here let me drive his F-40. In fact, he let me give my 5yr old a ride! I was so nervous driving the thing I barely got over 5000RPM (hey, it's not everyday you drive a car worth more than your house!). He made fun of me when I returned 5-minutes later asking if I got over 1500RPM.

It was so awesome. My first time to drive in a Ferrari.

25. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Be cautious about sharing your ride...

Speaking as someone that had a personal Ferrari totaled by a "friend", insurance in Washington state goes with the driver. My insurance paid the replacement cost for what was clearly a driver induced wreck. Details on the old board...

My rates did not go up (whew) but I now have a rider that they will not pay any claims submitted when the insured parties (my wife and I) are not the driver of the car. Net effect is that none of our vehicles can be borrowed at this point unless I feel fairly confident that the driver would be willing to pay for damages.

- JMG