550: brake pedal depth adjustment | FerrariChat

550: brake pedal depth adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ze_shark, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Has anyone adjusted the depth of the brake pedal on a 550 ?
    There seems to be a fillet/nut system on the actuator linkage, but is there any trick/trap ?

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You cannot touch it. The pedal is held up against a stop with a spring, and the pushrod is for setting free play to the master cylinder.

The only way to alter the brake pedal height is with surgery to the pedal.

Throttle and clutch pedals offer some adjustment, but not much.

If your brake pedal goes too low for your liking, make sure it is bled properly first, but fitting steel braided flexi lines will reduce your pedal travel.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Thanks. Some board members reported having their pedal adjusted by the dealer, that's why I was enquiring (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7965&highlight=heel+toe).
    If the pedal cannot be adjusted in depth, all that is left is to have a thicker pedal then ?
    I am reluctant to fit braided lines, our DMV equivalent here is very picky, and this may not get through periodic inspections. I know that it's not accepted with bikes (non-standard parts).

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Yes, yes, yes.

Make a spacer (about 5/8 inch thick) to install between the steel and aluminum parts of the pedal. Source longer flat head allen screws from Metric and Multistandard, or your favorite metric fastener source, identical to what's in there now, just longer.

Use new Nyloc nuts. Curve your spacer to match the aluminum pedal (you'll see when you take it apart). I use UHMW polyethelene, light and easy to fabricate. Cheap and durable too. Get it Here: www.mcmaster.com

Don't mess with the linkage!

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

Ps, [size=+1]For off highway use only[/size]. (Liability disclaimer)

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    .........or wear platform shoes!

7. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I was looking for SS braided hoses for my 550, but no one sell a kit. So I contacted Goodridge in UK to custom make a set of braided brake hoses for me. Goodridge is a very well known brand for SS braided lines and many brake kits such as AP Racing uses Goodrige lines in their kits. I think their brake lines are TUV and DOT certified.

Their Motor Sport sales person was kind enough to offer do a custom one off set for me if I send in my OEM hoses for them to measure off the specifications. As soon as I get some time I plan to do that. May be after making a set for me, they will offer it as a kit for general sales. I believe it will help to increase stiffness and reduce travel in brake pedal.

I agree with ferrarifixer completely. Brake pedal adjustment by the push rod is a no no. The push rod is meant for setting the free play to the master cylinder. Shouldn't mess with that safety critical area. I didn't understand why in your other thread some others said you can adjust brake pedal height.

The limited throttle linkage adjustment probably will not help much. On my 355, the mechanics tried it during a trackday event. Even after adjustment I couldn't notice any difference.

You might want to try Hill Engineering for a custom thicker brake pedal. Since Paul already makes the pedals for 550, I suppose it would be easy for him just to make one from thicker aluminum billet stock.

One other possibility I was thinking of is what if you moved the throttle pedal down a couple of screw holes. Maybe this will allow you to angle your foot in such a way that you blip the throttle on the part of the pedal that's closer to the floor, which will be lower. Just a theory I was tossing around in my head after your other thread. Have not tried it so don't know if it will work.

Regards,

cwwhk

8. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Great idea, but you got to shave off 1/2" on the righ side of the sole. You think this is a patentable design?

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Most Ferrari owners walk a bit funny anyway........

I've sold 4 sets of 550 braided hoses. I get them made to Australian standards, which are about the same as UK from the spec sheet I saw.

3 of the sets have been fitted to cars that live in Sepang, at the circuit, and do many laps regularly.

They're a sraight swap in about 2 hours work. I sell the hoses for Aus $275 the set, but I'm not trying to sell from this forum, just make sure you don't get ripped off when you get your own made.

There's nothing special about them, so any hose/ m/sport shop can make them if you supply a pattern.