Look What I Found | FerrariChat

Look What I Found

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jdubbya, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 Jdubbya, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was working on upgrading the dash lights in my '78 308 and found this "extra stuff". The two horns were screwed onto the outside of the spare tire tub and the control unit? was screwed into the firewall under the dash. The wires were already cut, just had to unscrew it all.

Anyone have an idea what it is or was. I'm thinking maybe an alarm??

Thanks for the input!!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    looks like typical aftermarket alarm junk.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the small clear thing with the circuit board and led light is a shock / motion sensor. its most likely and older Viper alarm system. i have used them in the past and they work well. depends on who puts them in. my.02

4. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    I recognize the smaller horn on the right. It is an Audiovox alarm system from around 1988. I had one like it on my old Camaro. It was extremely cheap (around $40 at Wal-Mart) and didn't have many features. The system is entirely self-contained in the unit. I'm guessing the larger horn is an added siren since the one built into the system isn't any louder than a household smoke detector. I have no idea what the clear item is, maybe a relay to power the extra siren and flash the parking lights.

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That's pretty much what I figured. I saw the large one and thought it was possibly a replacement car horn. One of the previous owners had installed the air horn system in the not too distant past. After pulling them out though they were wired together so your scenario is more likely. I looked closer at the little box, and think it may have been a motion sensor. Who knows, it's all out now that's all I care about!!!
    John