Thinking of buying a watch: Opinion(s) needed | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a watch: Opinion(s) needed

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by tvrfreak, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

My reaction to this watch is...

1. Revolting

2. Blah

3. Decent

4. Nice

5. Wow!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Hi,
    what do you guys think of this watch...

I am considering getting one. I am not too bothered about it being a collectible or not but it would be cool if it was. I need a dressy watch that still looks good with jeans ie. it can't be flashy.

The simple elegance of NOMOS just made a real impression on me ever since I first saw an article in a watch magazine a couple of weeks ago. It's got some subtle details that really appeal to me, such as the beveled edges of the date window, the blue steel hands, etc., and I just love the fact you can see the movement through the back.

Has anyone heard of them? Everything I have found out so far seems to indicate they are a very well respected watchmaker. Any negatives I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Edit: The first picture is of some World Fair commemorative edition--I am not considering that one as it does not have a date. Without it, the watch face seems a little too plain to me. I just included the pic to give an idea of the thickness of the watch...it's the same casing as the one I am considering.

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I know nothing about watches, but I know what I like... and I like that.

Luke.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Faisal,

I am by no means an horologist, and it would be unfair to them to call me even a budding one. I love watches, however, and am curious to know who makes the movement, etc.

Aesthetically speaking, it's very handsome. Elegantly simple, which you know I like. Do you know the case size?

I will do my own digging, but I'm curious as to what Sfumato, and some of the other true horologists we have on board have to say.

--Dan

4. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    How much $$, BTW?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    IMHO, after finding the Movado design, everything else just looks the same to me. The Movado is truely unique and simply beautiful. Like a Ferrari! :)

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I hate to say it but I've always thought the Movado's were just too plain.The replica's probably look as nice as the real thing.Maybe their just alittle too artsy for my taste.I was thinking of adding one of the new Tag F1 watches to my small collection.I always wanted one of the Shumacher Speedmaster's in blue with the leather band.They were a little out of my price range and now they don't make them anymore.

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    As a watch aficionado, I have to say movado is one of the WORST watches out there! I would not call them the Ferrari of watches, better to call them the riced out, lowered, fake-nitrous import ricer of watches. Movado used to make their own movements, but now I believe all their watches use a quart crystal design. The same as you will find in those nice Timex'es and Seikos and Casios. Movado sells themself on pure design with no substance. A used modern movado has little value to any watch enthusiast.

Its kind of like how you could buy a bracelet with 2 carats of diamonds on it for $700 at the jewelers, but if you take it to a reseller, he will realize the diamonds are just a bunch of low-grade chips and tell you its MAYBE worth $50.

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, different watch "afficionados" place different values on different qualities. For me, long before I knew about Movado, I was looking for a specific look--black face, steel band--and only found it in Movado. Its design, to my eyes, represents classic, simple elegance.

Bottom line is, things are changing, and just like big fat gold jewelry is now considered gaudy, so is the impression I get when I see somebody's gold Rolex or other clunky piece on their wrist.

My movado is pure understatement, subtle; and its design, look, and feel, in my opinion, trancends all others. I wear it daily. It's a matter of style and personal choice. And, as it were, I do tend to equate Movado with Ferrari.

And FWIW, I equate Rolex with Porsche: The Ultimate in Cheesedog. (But admittedly well engineered.) :)

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nice watch, but I'm not really a fan of leather bands. More of a stainless steel guy.

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    The typical Movado is simply too "blank" for me--I do have one, but it's from their Vizio line. I like it a lot, but it's a bit flashy with that gleaming steel band. The face looks like an engineering drawing and it's got all sorts of nifty functions for calculating car speeds and rally stage timings, although I doubt anyone would wear it on such occasions. It's far too nice to subject to that kind of pounding.

I don't wear it much, hence the search for another watch that's more understated. Here's a pic that shows how flashy it is (well ok, the McLaren isn't too understated either)...and another one of the watch by itself.

11. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I have never heard of Nomos, but Glashutte is a town in East Germany and Lange & Shoen and Glasutte watches are made in that town.

Nomos is not a Swiss Watch.

12. udalmia

udalmia Guest

have you considered tag heuer? i really like their watches

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    tvrfreak,

After enjoying quite a few fine timepieces (Patek Philippes generally), what matters is that YOU like the watch. We each have our preferences. You may want to visit www.timezone.com and have a look around on their discussion boards, though in the end what REALLY matters is that YOU...

Enjoy the Time,

Steven R. Rochlin

14. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Just one way to go: Omega Speedmaster Professional.
    Sporty, Classy and Mechanical.

Ciao

Eugenio

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#15 dm_n_stuff, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice.

Under $1000, clean simple.

At that price probably beats the Movado, which I also like.

Rolex, which I've owned, seems to break down a lot, back to the factory way too often, course, maybe I should have take it off before I rebuilt that last motor. Well, live and learn.

If you want to go way over the top, try Vacheron & Constantin. Now that's a watch.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Breitling Hercules..

Not really a Rolex kind of guy..

17. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    #17 hps, Feb 15, 2004
    I like these......everytime I see one, I like it more........at first, I thought it looked like a novelty watch, as they can be quite oversized, and dramatic. But go and have a look at one or two.....they are really nice !!!

hps

18. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Sorry...forgot to indicate...Panerai Luminor Chrono.

hps

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Get the Nomos. It looks great. Very Art Deco. Very classy.

20. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    If you want a Swiss movement and don't mind quartz Tissot makes some nice watches at very reasonable prices.

If you are wanting an automatic movement I beleive the Omega Seamaster Pro is a good bet and they can be found for less than the $1750.00(US) MSRP from some very good internet dealers. Try www.worldofwatches.com

As for Rolex, well it is the Porsche of wristwatches but I love mine. I wear a Two-Tone Submariner every day and it has proven very accurate and reliable. It's my third Rolex and I will admit my Datejust (circa 1990) wasn't to accurate even after repeated trips in for service. My GMT master II was really good however.

As for Tag-Heuer, The Link series is nice the movements however are not as good as the price tag would indicate they should be. The Omega is a better bet.

If price is no object, and you like the styles, Vacheron, Patek, Piaget are all fine quality timepieces.

One more to consider, A. Lange & Son - The Lange 1 Moonphase. Well made and very unique.

Just some ideas.

21. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    #21 sduke, Feb 15, 2004
    I concur with 007. I have worn Omega's since I received one for college graduation. My current Speedmaster is my favorite watch. I also have a Piaget which I haven't worn since I bought my new Speedmaster.

22. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    What is good for a decent price for a "plain" look? I really like the one pictured at the beginning of this thread just because it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that tags and omegas seem to have. Is this plain look out? I also happen to like the leather strap as well - seems more professional? Maybe I am wrong.

Also, what is in a movement? Is it really that important if it is swiss or automatic or even timex branded if it works? Don't timexes keep good time? Some of you are complaining about the lack of accuracy in a rolex...

23. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Sorry to plain for me,Rolex is my thing have had one since I was 17(28 yrs ago)and have 3 other since,I now have an 18ct day/date with presedential braclet.Have found over the past 10 years Rolex watches have definately improved and the accuracy of my past 2 (Submariner and the day/date)have been excellent,Steve I have to compliment you on your taste, Patek Phillipe! well we are talking really special timepieces here.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

Kris76 likes this.
  24. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I've had an Omega Speedmaster ($100 in the PX in 1970) and a Rolex, and both were great for about 3 years, then despite repeated trips to the factory never ran well again.

Now I have several TIMEX Expeditions (about $40 at WalMart) They run great, have lots of features (including a backlit dial which is bright enough to find a keyhole in the dark), but there is one other reason to own one:

The electronic movement is designed by long time Ferrari enthusiast and 246GT owner Tom Thinesen. Tom is a great guy and is extremely talented. His wife, Tish is the concours Chief Judge for the Pacific Region. Last time I saw him he even showed me where he embedded his initials in the Timex readouts.

There is a little bit of Ferrari in thiose Timexes.

25. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Then how come the Ferrari experience is more like your Rolex experience???! :)