Anyone here own nothing other then Ferraris? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone here own nothing other then Ferraris?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by YellowMaranello, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO
    Aswell as my 2002 360 Spider I have a Audi S3 and a G reg NISSAN Micra in Grigio Alloy, that car is awesome.... I tend to use that as my everday run about sort of a car.

2. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    The 348 is my daily driver. I do let the husband take it some time.. he looks good down low.

But I've ordered an Elise and I've been told that if I don't get him another porsche before it comes in I'm gonna be sleeping with the cars.

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I drive my F40 a couple times a week. Usually at night and weekends.
    My ZR-1 or Z06 get me to work and to the store.
    When the dogs come along we take the Duelly.

RD

4. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
  5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Coachi has a 550. I am using my as exclusive transport these days. Have been averaging ~1500 miles / mo on it. Will drive the **** out of F40 when I finally find the right one, but certainly not that kind of mileage. Maybe 500/mo?

Rick: how much are you driving? PS, I will call you in a few, sorry about the delay.

--Dan

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Thanks for the shout-out, Andreas. My wife's F-car is a Ford, which if things had gone differently between Il Commendatore and the Blue Oval 40-so years ago, might possible qualify as Ferrari material. As for those dogs...

7. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I use my cars daily. They are all for sale but I drive them daily.
    For hauling and towing I have an H2 though, also if it heavily rains and the Ferrari has just been detailed it will stay in a few hours but I may change cars later in the afternoon.

Hey, no better daily ride that this!

8. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I drive an '89 Honda Civic Si as a daily driver (Nissan Pathfinder as second car). Can't beat the fun and traction level of both cars, especially in the Canadian Winters. As soon as the spring shows its face, out comes my '99 Boxster 3 or 4 times a week (best car for semi-exotic, top down, sports car fun). My wife owns a '77 308 GTB and she will drive it whenever she goes out with a friend for coffee and cruise. I drive it from time to time and do some of the maintenance. Then comes the '70 Jag E-type for the cooler spring and fall days. On special occassions the '61 MGA will see daylight. In short, the ferrari gets driven more than the MG and Jag. Definately reliable enough for even more driving. Oh and can't forget the '91 Westfalia for those weekend getaways.

Tom, is that a Formula Vee in your pic? I also race a Vee in Canada. One of the best forms of open wheel racing around.

Pete

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I sold everything else but not my Testarossa which its my daily driver, but also drive from time to time a 944 turbo (when the TR is in the shop) which is as fast as the TR up to 110mph. I might sell the TR and buy a P GT3 and a 328 which I plan on installing a turbo.

10. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    [Tom, is that a Formula Vee in your pic? I also race a Vee in Canada. One of the best forms of open wheel racing around.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Pete,

It sure is. I enjoyed the competition and the ease of maintenance. I used to race an FP A-H Sprite and I miss the performance. I miss being able to throttle steer the car. As you know, a FV has no throttle response. ;) Still in all, open wheel racing is great.

I've been in touch with WAZZA on this forum and he runs a Vee in the UK. Way diffferent rules than here. They're getting 90 HP and can use disc brakes up front. I had only 57 HP. What are the rules like in Canada ?

Maybe you could send me a Private Message before we get accused of hijacking the thread ------ which we did . :)

Tom

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think that is fantastic! How many miles/year you put on it?
    I used to drive my 81 Fiat Spider as a daily driver. Original owner, and I still have it. It mostly sits in storage now. Biggest problem: no A/C. I laugh when people say "it's a drop top so you don't need A/C." Sometimes it is so hot you have to put the top UP just to keep from frying. But, I could buy a new mint Fiat every year for what a Major costs on the fcar. So "normal" service costs for the Mondial (at about 5K miles per year) is all I can go for.

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hey Tom, now I am jealous x2. That you have a beautiful 3.2, and that you can afford to drive it that much!
    Sam

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As many or little as on all my previous cars. I just don't drive much, but when I do have to go someplace, it is normally with the car I own. Now it 'happens' to be a Ferrari.

When I was watching "Magnum P.I." in the eighties I always admired him for doing everything with his car, go any place, park anywhere. I thought THAT is the right attitude to drive a Ferrari and swore that one day when I have a Ferrari I'll do the same.

Of course I understand folks who take their baby in a trailer to a car show, roll it onto the grass and tow it back in the evening. It just isn't me.

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm with you. You know, I will pop the windows in the Mondial and smoke a cigar, but never dream of doing that in my daily driver. THAT is the ultimate luxury; to really enjoy the car.

15. st.tully

st.tully Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    my daily driver is a 1995 Chevy Caprice black police package with Borla exhaust, Callaway intake, and custom headers. Its not as much fun as my 328 but I sure don't have problems with anyone trying to screw with me on the highway.

16. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    #41 TOM B, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sam,
    Thanks for the compliment on the car. Your Mondial is also beautiful. Mine's actually a "15 footer". I try to keep her clean but driving it daily in the kind of weather we've been having, it kind of gets frustrating.

As a matter of fact, I just finished cleaning her with Griot's Speed Shine. I'm usually posting pictures of her in the snow or covered in road salt. Here she is ----- CLEAN. Until tomorrow. :(

p.s. Sam, I hope to meet you on 4/24 at the ROE.

Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick

My 328 was my only car for 4 years of the 6 that I've owned it. For those 4 years it was either walk and take the bus to work or the Ferrari every day. It was a good forcing function to put the car into 100% perfect mechanical condition ASAP.... hence, my expenditure curve on a $ per mile basis over time is what it is in the following graph.

Luckily you can see that from the day I purchased the car I went crazy to make it a flawless daily driver mechanically... 30k mile service + replace all belts, all hoses, brake lines, oil cooler refurb, water cooler refurb, etc., etc. to make sure it would be a bulletproof daily driver and it paid off becasue over time on a $/mile basis it just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper to drive because I'm proactive with the preventive maintenance. The big spike in the middle is the repaint (non mechanical but I include it becasue it was a big expense). The red line below is the actual data points, the black line is the trend as estimated from these points by excel.

The partial records from which I made the graph are available at: http://ferrari.threefourfive.com.

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Love it. Glad to hear you are hoping to come out 4/24!

19. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA

20. PapethOva

PapethOva Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    Los Angeles (La Crescenta)
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Newbie here, hello to everyone.

I dont have a Ferrari yet. I drive a Dodge Viper right now.

21. FeRRaRi gt

FeRRaRi gt Rookie

Feb 12, 2004
    as good as ferrari's may be, they are meant for second cars

22. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    No, they're not. You CAN have it all. A Ferrari and a daily driver all in the same car. Come on in, the water's fine.

Tom

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I was just thinking about this. Although I do have access to any used car on the lot for daily driving, the only car I own is the 328, so I guess I qualify.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The only entity I made a vow to be monogamous to is my wife. With cars, I have 4 cars of 4 makes.

25. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I use my 355 as a daily driver, with no non-F car backup. It has been in the shop for a while (blew out the wiring harness with my Police lights- from the FQC), so I've been using the 328GTB as my daily backup (the next most practical car I own).

I dont have a 4 seater car, so thats it!

Actually, this has been discussed alot. A F-car can be a reliable daily driver. I have 6 friends in the New Orleans area that use Ferraris as daily drivers, rain or shine. It can be done and is done.