308 Armrest bolt | FerrariChat

308 Armrest bolt

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Quasimotor, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    While working on my 84 308 GTS I noticed that on both sides, the rearmost arm-rest bolt (or screw) is missing. The others are there, and appear to be threaded nuts coming from the inside of the door in, toward the cockpit with a washer and threaded nut holding the armrest onto the door. Is this normal and what do you guys have for the rearmost fixing point? I just have a hole. Many thanks.

Quasi

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Definitely fastens with four points... Up front, if I recall, is a door stud sticking out with a fat washer and nut (in front of door lever); one position back, there's a stud with a black acorn nut (behind the door lever); then there are two bolts that go into the frame, philips head.

Total of four...

3. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    My 78 308 has two forward studs coming out of the door for the forward "grab area" of the armrest. The mid and rear portions of the armrest are secured by what I believe are M-5 size screws, phillips head. I replaced all of mine since I found a mix of hardware, sheet metal screws here and there. An unnamed dealer did this.
    I had to run a tap through the nuts "welded nuts" in the door in order for the screws to work, the improper sheet metal screw inserted at some point in the car's life disturbed the threads.
    I used stainless steel for all the hardware. Up front on the studs, I used SS fender washers and nylock SS nuts...then topped off the long studs to protect one's skin using SS acorn nuts.
    With my Dremel tool I carefully reshaped the fiberglass where the aft armrest screws go through the armrest...This way when the screws are snug, they fit flat and squarely against the fiberglass of the armrest. Now the armrests are secure with nice hardware.

Andrew McCrae likes this.
  4. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Thanks, Sophia. I'll try the M-5's.