Bringing cars from out of state | FerrariChat

Bringing cars from out of state

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Stickanddice, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    What's the rule of having cars run around with out of state license plates? What is the time frame when you have to replace them? I'm pretty sure you don't pay them again, but what is the rule there? I normally have my broker handle all these things, but I have purchased 2 cars on my own and they are headed from Texas to California.

Cheers

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    From CA DMV website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/osreg.htm#BM2558

How do I register my nonresident vehicle in California that was last registered in another state or country?

Your vehicle may be subject to California registration from the date of entry. Fees must be paid within 20 days from the date the vehicle entered California to avoid penalties.

You will need to:

Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
    Submit your out-of-state registration certificate
    Submit your out-of-state title (If you have it)
    Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
    Provide an odometer mileage certification (If your vehicle is less than 10 years old)
    Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (For your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV )
    Pay the fees
    Commercial vehicles, including pickup trucks, may also require a weight certificate.

You may also be subject to use tax if you brought this vehicle into California within 90 days from your date of purchase.

3. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Thanks for the info Gary! Exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

If you are already a California resident at the time you bought the cars, expect to pay the sales tax, unless you have planned and have documents to show that while you owned the car for at least 90 days when it wasn't in the State that you operated it in another State, and that you changed your mind and now wish to register it in California. there are a good many tax services that will handle this type of problem. I suggest that if these facts fit your situation, that you make use of them.

Art

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Art is spot-on. It never hurts to consult a good tax attorney on such things, even as trivial as this.

--Dan

6. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Now knowing this little detail cost me 5 large at the DMV... I remember it so well, 'oh, Mr Z... your registration comes to $5,600'.... what the *(@#*(@#(*?

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

8 - 9% of 170k is how much? The tax services charging, I think, about 3k. Well worth it, and if you follow their instructions, they guarantee the taxes, and will pay them if you get hit with them.

Art

8. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I'm going to call in a favor and see if I can get my dad's "dealership" to buy the cars so that they can run around tax free, albeit with dealer plates. I think there is also a way to get normal plates on the car, but I forget how that went.

Thanks for the input guys. I thought it was going to be an easy no brainer my wife could take care of with a visit to the DMV. Looks like it's getting a little cluttered. The tax sheltering sounds nice. I gotta get to Oregon. :)

Cheers

9. roofguy

roofguy Karting

Dec 10, 2003
    Alamo, CA
    You may just want to check with the DMV first. But not where you want to take the car for your inspection.

When I brought my car into the state, my total fees were only $378.00. Just the transfer, reg. and doc fees. I might have been lucky. It may have had something to do with the car being 12 years old, but I was never given an answer. But then again I didn't ask too many questions. So I would try and see what they say first, and if you get an answer you like, jump on it right then.

Another option might be that if you bought the car from a dealer and plan on shipping it out, have the dealer sit on it for 90 days. Your insurance should cover the car while you wait. It is February.

Good luck.

10. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Hi guys here's my two cents and my experience just over a year ago in regards to registering my car. Purchased my car out of state. Brought it in to CA 30-days later because I was just having a few things done to it plus the transportation time. Anyway, ran around with it w/o plates (much like buying a car here from any used car lot....it doesn't come with plates) for the next 60 or so days and then brought it into the DMV to register it. Now granted it wasn't a daily driver, but my local law enforcement for sure saw the car and never bothered me as long as a I was a law abiding driver. Total fees $611.00 incl. personalized plates. No tax because of the 90-day rule. DMV didn't ask where it was (even though I had a story ready). I don't believe you even have to provide doc on what the car was doing for the last 90-days. My opinion, no offense Art, don't waste $ on consulting an attorney on this one. Those of you who know me know where I reside so PM me if you want to know which DMV I took my car to.....there are differences from DMV to DMV. Good luck.

11. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Ther exemption is out of state for 90 days. DMV has you sign under penalty of perjury.
    I kept mine out 90 days BEFORE transportation started to California. The board ofd Equalization is the one if anyone that will make you prove things.
    Use AAA to register less hassle. Sometimes DMV will refer to Board of equalization for a release before they register it AAA never does this.

12. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Thanks for your insights. However, I've never seen AAA register an out of state vehicle at their offices. IIRC you must bring your car to DMV to be inspected if it's an out of state vehicle. If not, I'd like to know which AAA you're using as I hate DMV lines despite having an appointment.

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Banana: can you use the AAA for most things DMV? I will start to do the same. Like Eric, I end up going to the only DMV office around (San Mateo, which I assume Eric goes to as well).

--Dan

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

Perjury in California is a minimum one year. I wouldn't lie over that issue, doesn't make sense.

Art

15. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    TOTALLY WRONG!!! Just took my 550 there last week. They come outside check VIN etc.The 20 year old told me fine that will be 10,800+ I said wrong
    I need a supervisor. Supervisor corrected the youngster. Paid $814.
    The AAA DMV service alone is worth joining to avoid DMV!!!!!!!

16. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Hey Banana, Thanks for the emphatic reply in all caps to my post. I'm not looking for a pissing match with you, just wanted to know which AAA you used. While I'm also a member of AAA I was told that they did not do out of state registrations and only the DMV does them. Just sharing my experience, yours was obviously different. Wow, sounds like you really took charge at that AAA office. Maybe SoCal is different from NorCal? Maybe yours was a renewal vs. first registered in CA? Whatever, if you were able to register at a AAA please let us know which office you used for all of our future benefit, if not no biggie. ...'nuff said from me on this subject, unless you want to PM me. I don't want to clutter up this thread. Once again, my apologies if I insulted you in some offbeat way.

from AAA website:

For residents of California:
    Many AAA offices in Northern California provide the following DMV services for Members:

• Vehicle registration renewal
    • Duplication or transfer of ownership
    • Payment of traffic fines
    • License plate purchase (personalized plates only)

Note: We do not handle Drivers Licenses or Out-of-State vehicle transactions.

Locate the AAA office nearest to you. (All AAA Northern California offices offer DMV services except for Fort Bragg and insurance-only offices.)

If you have auto insurance through AAA, you may also be able to renew your vehicle registration without leaving your computer! Click here for more information from the California DMV.

from DMV's site:

How do I register my nonresident vehicle in California that was last registered in another state or country?

Your vehicle may be subject to California registration from the date of entry. Fees must be paid within 20 days from the date the vehicle entered California to avoid penalties.

You will need to:

Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
    Submit your out-of-state registration certificate
    Submit your out-of-state title (If you have it)
    Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
    Provide an odometer mileage certification (If your vehicle is less than 10 years old)
    Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (For your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV )
    Pay the fees
    Commercial vehicles, including pickup trucks, may also require a weight certificate.

You may also be subject to use tax if you brought this vehicle into California within 90 days from your date of purchase

Oh, and by the way did you all see the latest on the CA 540 form about signing under penalty of pergury in reporting the sales tax on items purchased outside of CA and sent to your home? Whaddaya going to do now? I think I'm going to put every red cent down because I'm afraid of an audit and jail time. Ok, ok save your flames, I don't understand tax law and everyone has their own risk aversion, just like above,....and accounting professional.

17. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Grigio
    Sorry to cause you all that typing. I used San Bernardino,ca office obviously from what you have said different offices perform different functions?
    The only thing I haven't been able to do (that I've tried) is buy a
    "one trip permit" from AAA. They told me I would have to go to DMV
    for that one.

This was a Penns title car never been registered in Calif. even
    the 20 year old routinely registers out of state cars at this AAA office.
    The only thing... no one has tried the 90 day thing on her before.

I hate lines and the attitude of DMV employess!!!
    At least at AAA they treat you like a "customer" not a peon!
    SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I just wanted to correct(from my experience)
    mis-information.

regards
    wayne

18. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    QOUTE
    Oh, and by the way did you all see the latest on the CA 540 form about signing under penalty of pergury in reporting the sales tax on items purchased outside of CA and sent to your home? Whaddaya going to do now? I think I'm going to put every red cent down because I'm afraid of an audit and jail time. Ok, ok save your flames, I don't understand tax law and everyone has their own risk aversion, just like above,....and accounting professional.

Signing something under penalty of perjury is one thing(although I
    doubt you would find few if any in prision for that)
    BUT reporting my purchases from out of state.... that is total
    paranoia IMHO..

Proposition...how about we stop putting people in prison for
    drug possesion and focus on incarcerating those that sign under
    penalty of perjury and lie on their taxes???? Then the American public would
    finally be outraged!

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

Depends on have valuable the money is to you. If you lie, and you don't get caught great. However, I've noticed that when you pull stuff like that, it has a nasty habit of coming back to bite you when you can least afford the trouble. Not worth the effort to me, I'll play by the rules, keep the car out of state for 90 days at least, with a legitimate use for it when its out of State, then bring it in.

Art

20. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Wayne,

Not a lot of typing, most if my post was "cut and paste." Thanks of the information. Looks like I'll have to make a trip down south to register my next car. Don't mind if I send you my Enzo to register at your local AAA? j/k :)

Next time I register a car maybe I'll go into AAA again to see if they've changed procedures up here. I would stay out of DMV if I could, since it's really kind of a downer to go there and see all those non-customer service oriented people. Anyway, best of luck with your 550, they're great cars.

Eric

21. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Sure bring the Enzo I'll walk you through the procedure. The 550 was
    up for sale 3 days after I took delivery.. I bought a Gallardo.
    Nice 550 for somebody.