EO Sports F1 - 2002 game anybody? | FerrariChat

EO Sports F1 - 2002 game anybody?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    After years of playing GrandPrix 3 and 4 I finally caved in and switched to F1 2002 Challenge as my fav game has not received the same amount of updates and tracks got way out of line.

Now I'm trying to set things up for the 2004 season and realize I have no idea in how to change the drivers' names in the game. Can anybody help?

I know how to change one driver to a player's name, but that's not what I need here: I need to change the cc cars drivers names.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tifosi,

Hmmm a few years ago I bought an EA Sports F1 game ... supposedly the official FIA supported game, etc. and it was crap!!!

Sorry to say this but unless EA sports has improved their movement/graphics engine heaps they are fncken useless at making car racing games. They make fantastic soccer games, etc. but IMO they are way behind in the car simulator games.

I actually feel sick trying to play this game and the movement and dynamics, etc. are just horrible.

Again GP Legends and Microprose F1 games are the best ... whether they are supported or not.

BUT heh, maybe you can change my mind ;) ... but I will never by a car game made by EA Sports.

Good luck ...
    Pete

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas,

I have both F1-2000 and F1-2002 but after i switched over to Windows XP the 2002 version refused to function correctly. With no help from EA Sports.

I wish i could be of help other than the fact that the CD for the game is now being used as a coaster.

Rob

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Here you go Andreas...this is what I do in F1 2001 and Id imagine its the same in 2002.

Find your "Season" folder in your F1 2002 directory. It should be "Season02". From there, go to your "Vehicles" folder, and then click on whatever team your looking for. In whatever teams folder you opened up you should see two files ending with ".veh". These two files correspond to each of the two cars each team has. Open up one of the files in notepad and you should be able to figure out where to edit the names. So for example, if you wanted to change Michael Schumachers name, it would look something like this (keep in mind this is on my computer with F1 2001, so the folders might be slightly different)

d:\F1 2001\Season01\Vehicles\Ferrari\Bg01gpxa.veh

Let me know if it works for you!

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I can't believe you caved Andreas.Are you using 99-02?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wow, quite a few responses for what I thought might get me zilch. So one by one:

Pete, try Grand Prix 4 (used to be Microprose, now is Hasbro, which successfully killed it off, which is what Hasbro normally does to a good game). Physics are supposed to be the best. F1 99-02 Challenge is very close in its physics to GP4. If you don't like GP4, well then only a real 250 LM replicar can save you...
    :)

Rob, my F1 2002 (as well as the 99-02) works just fine on my XP box. Took a bit to find the proper steering wheel driver, but anyway. Shouldn't be an issue at all if you use MS' wheel.

Jordan, many thanks for this. I'll try it out. I was afraid it would be a file by file thing. Darn. We have so many driver changes. Oh well.

Aawil (your screen name cracks me up, there is a village in Switzerland called Aawil and I used to drive through it twice a week), I'm sorry. One of my best buddies (the one who made the FGP3 DVD) is heartbroken over my switch. Here is the rationale:

- EO uses a lot better graphics than GP4.
    - EO has almost caught up to GP4 in physics and AI.
    - In general there have been a lot of improvements by EO which are missing in GP4 like e.g. the pit traffic light at the end of the pit lane. If you ignore it, you'll be penalized. Just small stuff that makes it a bit nicer.
    - Much better sounds and information from the pitlane. I like to drive with the least clutter in the sky (like in a real racecar), but I'm missing the information on where I'm at. So pitlane radio is important.
    - Most important: The updated tracks. As much as I loved the highspeed Hockenheim, it is silly to keep driving that. Similar issues go for the new first and second turns at Nuerburg, Monza and Hungaroring.

Now I could have all that with GP3 and the upgrade packs (there is no track editor for GP4), but it comes at a price:

- For one once you start 'cracking' the game, you loose realism. I'm sorry to say that as I wrote a few tracks myself for GP3 (e.g. Fiorano). But it is true: Just writing a track doesn't do it. You also need to write the setup files for the cc cars, their ideal line, the grip of the track etc. If you don't, the human player always wins at a selfmade track. That's why it is better to leave things they are in the box.
    - The graphics in GP3 are two generations behind EO.
    - All the add-ons slow the game down to a crawl. I could just get the latest PC, that's true. But I don't have to using EO.

And the final argument: EO and FIA will continue (I think) to make upgrades to the game, so eventually we will get Bahrain and Shanghai etc. But not so for GP4.

Of course all this would be a mood point if Hasbro would get their act together and come out with GP5. But I doubt that will ever happen.

PS: For the time being I will drive Bahrain on GP3 though. GP3 is not dead on my box for occasions where I like to take out an ancient car and/or track.

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Andreas that interesting about my screen name but it's roots are quite simple actually.In high school I took 3 years of computer science,are login for the server was the first 3 letters of one's first and last name.So for me it was aarwil but I've since cut it down to aawil.For so reason it stuck and I've been using it since.One of the things I like about Ea's games is the steering wheels all look the the real counterparts.I don't think the GP game has that.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. The steering wheel in GP is the same for all cars. You can change its design though. However since it also serves as the game's menu, that becomes rather unpractical when driving e.g. a F1 car from the eighties: You loose your LCD display and have no clue what to do when in the pits. And a turbo era car with LCD steering wheel just doesn't look right.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Jordan, that did the trick. Well almost: The voice in the headset does not name the new drivers, which is a bit annoying as you'd like to know who just dropped out etc: "lost a wing" as opposed to "Zolt Baumgartner lost a wing."

Luckily the game is smart enough to handle existing names in different cars and the ones I care about from a WC competition perspective are all known to the speech synthesizer.