Buying a 612. | FerrariChat

Buying a 612.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Bart, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    At my dealer this yesterday, I talked to the dealer about buying a 612. No, I am not selling my 550. The problem with my beast is I cannot take but one with me. If I go out with another couple, I cannot drive. I must ride with my friends.for have a four door sedan they think is neat. Nuts!

The 612 solves that problem. Of course, it is not as fast with four heavy people as my sled, the 550. I will not be able to have one for 10 to 12 months. Rats. I will not be able to even drive one for 8 months. The good thing is because I think the paddles are for racers and not drivers, I can get one faster and cheaper. That is good.

The 612 smiles but it is not as pretty a smile as a 550.

I think I will not order one but wait to see if it is like the 456. The MSRP may have some movement in it. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Comments for my plan.

Never drive less than 12 cylinders

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well congrats ! I think its a great choice !
    The more i see the car, the more i like it ! I hope its a sucess for Ferrari both in sales and in driving sensation.

Keep us posted on how it goes !

3. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Wait for the road test. I think the car will "feel" better than the 550 (oops sorry). But seriously, the design brief was to make the front engine car feel like a mid-engine car. If they have succeded then the car will be great.

But in any case your criteria for buying is to have more seats. And the 612 is just perfect. I envy you. :)

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    "Welp, 198 miles to go, folks"

'Are we there yet?'

(198 mph)

"Yup"

It got beat up in UK CAR magazine as "the biggest disappointment" at the Detroit Auto Show, as well as on F-Chat. It's a 4-seater, not a batmobile.

Nevermind the fact that it was a display/prototype - call it what you will. Otherwise, why would the advance/display model have orange-peel paint, uneven side scallops & rippled surfacing? Production models certainly won't go out the factory as-is.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    0-60 in 4.1
    4 seats

Can't go wrong... :)

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Maybe pick up a 456 as an interim car, and buy the 612 after the prices stabilize? That way you still get the car you want, but don't have to ride in the 4 door for a year.

Just my $.01

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bart, I crawled all over the 612 at the Detriot show, and Mikey likes it. Their story at the show, and they stuck to it, was that the 612 will handle better than the 550 due to the engine placement. Interesting, eh? It looks longer than a 550, but I'm not sure of the wheelbase difference.

My biggest problem is the price - $250k. Unless you plan on keeping the car for a while, depreciation will be a major problem.

Also, just FYI, I sat in the Aston Martin DB9. Very, very, nice car, and for $100k less than the 612. The rear seats are not as good as the 612, but a very nice car nonetheless. Has anyone here driven one yet?

Dr "I'm Outta Here" Tax

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I bought a '67 365 Gt 2+2 at Barret Jackson. 30,000 miles and runs beautifully. Has some cosmetic issues but seats 4, for the very odd occasion when that is necessary, built when Enzo was alive and saved about $200K.

9. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Any interest in the Maserati Quattraporte?

10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It looks wonderful Maserati of Scottsdale had one for show and tell purposes, in metallic brown (awful color!). But the car itself was very nice. A real sedan with ample back seat space. Nice touches like fold down picnic tables a la Bentley. Wonderful interior and a proven 385 HP engine. If the price is right, around $90k or so it will be a real competitor for large sedans from MB, BMW and Audi. It is streets ahead of the Jag, just from an interior comfort POV. Also carries a 4 year warranty lust like the Germans.

11. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Great choice. A lot of discontent has been stirred among the Ferraristi because of this new design. I for one, however, LOVE it.

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The 612 is not built with room in mind in the rear like the Continental GT or less expensive luxury coupes. It brings a level of practicality to a Ferrari GT designed car, however, not that much and good for short trips. I was going to get into the back of a 456 with two people, one 6'1" and the other 5'11" and I decided against it. There is not that much room in the back of the later model 2+2's, and keep in mind I own one of the smallest 4 seater sedans ever made where a Honda Accord has more room, that says something.

To dinner, its great. For pleasure or Vegas runs? Its 2 small seats gone to waste. There is less room in the back than the Mazda RX8 which has deep dish rear seats and even then, claustrophobic for the rear passengers.

I'd pass. The Quattroporte is awesome, check out my profile pic!

Sunny

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It will be limited to 3-4,000 a year and if the prices tank like the new Masers, you can have one for a very large chunk off MSRP after a year or two. The driving position is very good, and I can't wait to test drive one to see if the handling is competent. The interior has a warm feel and feels high quality but it doesn't cosset you in like the smaller Jags, something the new XJ doesn't do but better than the Quattroporte. Its a big sedan and has no less room inside than the new XJ, from the feel. The Quattroporte is off the new XJ by less than 1 inch in every dimension. There are no official interior dimensions released however there are for the Jag and they feel neck and neck. I still want one, though, based on styling (Quattroporte looks better), engine, and production numbers over the newest XJ. At 70 torque less at 1,000rpm higher and 600lbs heavier than the Jag, it may accelerate from a standstill like the XJR but it will not out gun it, and will have problems with the XJ8 on the run. Its still a very tantalizing alternative!

Edit: From an interior quality point of view, the leather doesn't compare in either Quattroporte or the new XJ which are both made of also made of Italian leather to the Connolly Luxor found in the VDPs and the Super V8's. No sedan can, except Bentley and Rolls (and look at the price).

Sunny

14. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just buy an M5.

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    [QUOTE
    Edit: From an interior quality point of view, the leather doesn't compare in either Quattroporte or the new XJ which are both made of also made of Italian leather to the Connolly Luxor found in the VDPs and the Super V8's. No sedan can, except Bentley and Rolls (and look at the price).

Sunny[/QUOTE]

Connolly has been out of business for a couple of years now. They tried the product & apparel business and failed and in doing so sunk the whole company. I know that the balance of their hides were snapped up but I believe that most premier brands these days use a brand named Alma? or something like that.

16. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I didn't know that. What a pity.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry