Ferrari Ownership - Week One | FerrariChat

Ferrari Ownership - Week One

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by st.tully, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st.tully

st.tully Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    Well, I have owned a Ferrari (1987 328 GTS blk/tan) for one week now and I've learned a few things:

1) It is very uncool to stall at the stoplight!!! We I first went out yesterday (she sat for four days), she cut out at the first stoplight I came to. It took a few cranks to get her rolling again. In the meantime, people passing were unkind in their looks and gestures - I felt more than a little stupid. I guess the answer is to tool around the neighborhood for a few minutes and get her warmed-up real good before I get out on the streets. Is this a good route?

2) No one wants to let you in when you are merging onto the interstate!!! A tricked-out Lexus SUV with the gold package basically tried to run me off the road, ram me from behind and them cut me off - WHEW - I think I had better start packing some heat - I'll pick-up my carry permit and 40 cal. on Tuesday!!!

3) Looking at a Ferrari in the garage is very cool!!! Our baby sitter has 4 teenage brothers - they spent three hours checking-out the Ferrari last night and did'nt even ask to drive!!!

At any rate, still have'n fun here in NC.

Cheers

2. Well next time Suv tries to do that just make sure to punch it to the floor and pass up a whale like that. Most people do that out of jelousy dont feel bad about it as for the stalling I would let it warm up some or do a couple runs around the neighborhood WOT (just kidding) then go out on the streets.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  4. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Good Luck to you.

5. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The best laughs you'll have are when those pesky suv's try to follow you
    onto an on-ramp. By the time they realize they're going to fast....it's too late! I'll never forget seeing one go up on the curb in my rearview mirror!!!
    LOL - hahahaha - tires squealing and the whole 9 yards - it was a classic.

Your ownership will only get better with time. Not to mention there's a ton
    of people here to support our "expensive" hobby.

enjoy it!

dave

6. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    [Well next time Suv tries to do that just make sure to punch it to the floor and pass up a whale like that. "

Could a 328 outrun a new Lexus SUV? This is a serious question...I would not be so sure.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats on the new 328 - Same year as mine!

Mine has never stalled on me for no reason, so you might want to have that checked out.

Now put a pic in your profile so that I can see your beauty!

:)

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Id believe so. The 328 is no slouch, especially a well driven one. Though the hp may be similar (Lexus has more?) the power to weight ratio and the handling of the Ferrari would easily take on a big, heavy, SUV. Besides, chances are the guy in the golden SUV is no race car driver :)

9. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know a black on black 85 308 QV will blow both of the Lexxus busses away. And the big Lexxus looks very funny trying to follow a 308 over the North bound Woodlands exit ramp...that would have been a VERY long fall.

In short...a 328 should have almost no issue introducing its tailights to the lexxi.

10. marinelo

marinelo Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Congradulations! Your going to love it..I have an 88 328gts...

11. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Its just hard to discount the advances of new cars in the space of a 15 years. Just wasn't sure how they would compare.

12. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Congrats and wecome! These are a great bunch of folks and a real support system. The most fun you will have is when you start blowing those "A Holes" off the road. It is one of the true joys of owning a F Car.

13. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Here is my warm up procedure:

Crank car, back out of garage, let idle until water temp guage starts to move.
    Drive under 3,000 RPM in subdivision and skip 2cd gear, for about 2 miles.
    Drive under 3,000 RPM on highway until tranny warms up and shifts get easier.
    After oil temp guage starts to move I can run it like it likes to be run. The water radiator fans generally cycle on about twice before the oil temp guage will start to move.

Here is my take off proceedure from a dead stop in traffic:

Let off brake, Blip accelerator one quick time to 2,000 RPM (idle is about 1,400 RPM).
    Let off clutch at the same rate that I push on the accelerator. This takes lots of practice. This does not work for reverse, only 1st.

Here is my Interstate merging technique:

Blinker on. Downshift to raise the RPM and increase torque and noise level(intimidation factor from the tubi).
    Start working the mirrors and keep it slow while I plot my spot and timing of entry (sort of like double dutch jump rope).
    Upshift, accelerate and merge into the slow lane, turn off blinker.
    After establishing myself in the slow lane and getting a feel for the traffic flow I hit the blinker again and start migrating to the middle lane. (You have more options from that lane) turn off the blinker.
    I make eye contact with the other drivers and use my blinkers and give lots of "thank you's".

I've only had one other driver give me a hard time about my car. I had just bought it and driven the first mile down the road and the car died at the red light at the bottom of the exit ramp. The battery cable had not been tightened down by the previous owner for some reason. The first car behind me honked, I motioned him around and when he got beside me he rolled down his window and shouted "should of gotten a Ford". The next guy in line pulled behind me and turned on his hazard lights and got out and helped me figure out what was wrong and helped get me going again. Everyone else was giving me thumbs up signals as they passed. I guess you can say that even my worst day in my Ferrari is better than my best day in my other car.
    Enjoy.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Please! Although the Lexus SUV will have more torque, it has a bit less horsepower and waayyyy more weight. Typical Lexus SUVs have a tough time breaking 9s 0-60. The new car-based GX470 can do 7.7s. Even most 308's can beat that.

However, before you squeeze in front of one... remember that they stop as poorly as they handle... and if they hit you, YOU lose. Let the jealous soccer mom have her way...

15. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Welcome, you are right about a Ferrari looking good in the garage. Everyone (including me) just likes to look at it parked there from time to time.

16. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    "Let the jealous soccer mom have her way..."

Ha ha ha. Your SUV comment reminds me of the boating rule of thumb. Right of way or not he with the most gross tonage wins.

17. Yeah not to bash on lexus automobiles but they never really appealed to me with there not so comptitive performance and handeling compared to others like MB AMG,BMW,Audi,Jaguar. The Lexus SUV would have no chance against the 328 or 308.

And that guy that said should have gotten a ford ahaha, that guy doesnt know what he is missing and probley never will.

18. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Serious question...are you kidding...the 328 would leave the truck in its dust!!

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Congrats and welcome to Ferrari ownership! Hope you continue to have great fun and enjoyment with your car.

BTW, if you car stalls occaisionally when cold, it may need an adjustment or replacement of components in the fuel injection system. It shouldn't stall when cold. I would have it looked at.

Regards,
    Dave

20. joopjoldersma

joopjoldersma Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Joop Joldersma
    I hope you like the car as much as I did when I had my first ride in a Ferrari; it was a 328.

Joop

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

St. Tully -- check your PM

22. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Get the car tuned properly and it won't give you any more problems at the traffic lights.

There are too many of those jealous people out there. Next time just floor the trottle and leave those SUVs behind.

23. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Don't know why it would stall. Better have it checked out. I've owned mine for 17 years and it has never stalled - not once.

24. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Enjoy! That first week is a roller coaster of emotion. Shouldn't stall though, have it checked.

25. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    @St. Tully :

congrats to your black beauty !

Stalling: Better check the engine. My 328 had such a strong idle torque that
    I could roll on with second gear and even with the 4. gear as I had to:
    Years ago my gear shift mechanics were adjusted wrong.
    One day I was standing with 4. gear in blocked.
    No way to move the shifter into neutral without violence.
    I decided ro roll on with the 4. gear carefully. It works!
    Clutch survived well and it was no problem for the strong 328 engine
    to get the car in motion without stalling :)
    (next way was to my mechanic to fix it)

So I can confirm the behaviour: "17 years and it has never stalled" :)

forza

cinquevalvole