Ferrari "Independent" shops - Portland, OR | FerrariChat

Ferrari "Independent" shops - Portland, OR

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Red Baron, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    Just a quick request for those of you in the Portland Oregon area. I have a 355 Spider that I'd like to have looked at and serviced, and I'm looking for the best independent shops around. I'm thinking "top notch service with great knowledge and integrity, at reasonable prices..." Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo is the key player in town, but I'm looking for the best "non-dealership" Ferrari professionals in town.

Can anyone in the Portland area offer suggestions? Thanks in advance for steering me to a shop that knows Ferrari's, how to treat them properly, and is reasonable in price.

PS - I already tried posting this question in the "Northwest" section - but didn't get an answer there.

2. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    Any help in this one guys?

3. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    How do you define "portland area"? ;-) There's always Carlo at alfa of Tacoma.... he's done belt son a 355 before. But he is a ways and I don't have a clue as to the independent community in portland.

The biggest problem being that none of the independent shops have access to an SD-1 or SD-2 and can't decode all the engine codes or do any of the cool and timesaving troubleshooting that someone with an SD1/SD2 can. I mean they can accuate individual vales for diagnosis if necessary through the computer when hooked up to a 360. Man, that is cool.

Anyway, maybe someone else will post on this one?

4. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    If you have a "modern" F car that requires a computer you have no choice other than Tonkin service which has improved significantly under the direction of Kelly who is the mgr.You are welcome to use my name as a referrer.
    If you have an older car or just require simple stuff such as oil change on a "modern" car you have 2 choices.
    One is the owner of the Jag store by the name of Nelson (last name) who was a F tech with Tonkin and owns the Jag store on E Burnside and 57th OR
    Dick Guthrie (don't have his address but I can get it for you)
    Any questions just ask-
    Marty

5. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal

Marty,

Thanks for the info - this is JUST what I was looking for... I'll e-mail you to discuss further.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have had Craig at the Jag Shop work on my cars for the last couple of years. In fact, my 365 is there right now. He used to work for Tonkin, and is a factory-trained F-Car tech. Craig knows what he is doing and does good work.

Tonkin has done some work on my 456, and as Dr. Weiner states, is really the only choice for computer work in modern Ferraris. I've had mixed results, but in the end they did resolve the problem so I really can't complain.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

7. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    Thank you Marty and DonV - it's what I needed to know, and I'm going to call Craig in the AM to discuss the car and next steps. I appreciate your quick reply and knowledge...