koni question | FerrariChat

koni question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stacy, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    Here is a question for anyone who has had the front suspension on their 308 apart.

Mine is in pieces at the moment for a rebuild. I was cleaning up the shocks today. I noticed that there is a washer sliding freely up and down the shaft of the shock above the main body. It seems a little odd to me but it is the same on each shock. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

2. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    If it is a plastic washer, I believe it's use is to clean the dust from the shaft before it has a chance to get to the seal, thus keeping the seal in better shape.
    HTH
    Kermit

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    It's a thin washer about the diameter of the shock body? Is it white plastic? Yes, then it's there to improve the life span of the bump rubber, when in contact with the damper body, as in full compression.

The shock body top seal has a wiper function to clean the debris from the shock rod before entering the body and coming into contact with fluid.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    Thanks. That is reassuring.

Stacy