TR NO HEAT? | FerrariChat

TR NO HEAT?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pdavis, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Drove my 1988.5 TR today for about an hour and could not get any hot air out of the vents. The dash fans worked fine but would only blow cold air. Any one else have this problem. Outside temperature was 37F degrees. I would appreciate any advice or ideas on what to check for? Car has been sitting for a couple of weeks and I had heat the last time I drove it. pd

2. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I had this same condition on my 86 TR back in December. There was an air pocket in the coolant plumbing that was preventing the coolant from circulating. After the system was bled at all three bleed valves using a pressure device on the overflow tank the heater started working again. About a week or so earlier I had a problem with my waterpump which caused the cooling system to have to be emptied and refilled.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yea what he said. Try flushing the coolant.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

PD,
    I had the same problem type of problem with my 86 TR last yr. Not sure why it happend, but I changed the antifreeze like khayes in my car and the thermostat for good measure and I got my heat back....it was just one of those unexplainable things.

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I replaced both t-stats and repaired the water pump and while the engine was out I had all belts and hoses on the car replaced. What the heck, why not, the car's only 18 years old. I wish I had replaced the fuel pumps while the fuel sending unit was being replaced. Now it's time to go back and replace those. I did get a handy Snap-On wheel socket and 4 foot break over bar for the single lug wheels. Moorespeed in Austin, TX loves me.

6. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Thanks for the input guys I think you have pinpointed my problem. I had a coolant leak a couple of weeks ago and the dealer replaced a broken clamp. I do not believe that they bled the system afterwards.

Is this something I can do myself? If so, I would appreciate some guidance? Thanks to all for the replys. pd

7. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    You would need to add coolant to the tank, pressurize it with a hand pump, open the three bleed valves one at a time until no more air flows out. Sould be a messy job but doable if you have the pressurising pump and a long extension on your socket for the bleed valves. One of my valves was corroded and needed to be reworked. I would take it back to the mechanic that did the repair last week and let him bleed the system for you. It sounds like he didn't finish the job properly.

8. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Khayes, thanks, I think I will take it back to the dealer that did the repair. pd