Front end 355/360 (under bumper) skid plates... | FerrariChat

Front end 355/360 (under bumper) skid plates...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Red Baron, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    Guys,

I'm about to have the front bumper on my 355 removed, and fully repainted. I was looking at the sacrificial skid plates that are under the front bumper, and noticed that they were worn almost completely away. What I'm wondering is...what are the options for replacing these skid plates (which I believe are built in to the original bumper)? I've seen a few options on 355's, which are metal replacement parts that are bolted on. Is this the best way, or are there other options / materials / etc.?

I'm looking at the full range of options before making a decision. However, I'm going to have the bumper repainted over the next 2 weeks, so I need to make a decision quickly. Anyone with experience in doing this, or resources to find the parts to complete this project, please respond and share what you can.

Thanks for your help!

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    For my customers I fabricate 1/4" thick, black Delrin pads. I attach them with 4 countersunk 3/16" screws, and fill the voids caused by wear on the original pads with black RTV sealant. As the pad is a teflon like material it takes scuffing quite well and is black so the scuffs do not show. First set went on 7 years ago and is still in good shape.
    Dave

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  4. 99VTROADSTER

99VTROADSTER Guest

Dec 9, 2003
    Where can I purchase the skid plates discussed in that thread?

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    My suggestion for material is UHMW polyethylene, used throughout the racing industry for this application. Cheaper than Jabrock (which I like better).

From the archives here. Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:47 am:

Make yourself for $40, save $100.

Skid plates. You can make them yourself. McMaster Carr industrial supply. Take a piece of cardboard to make a template of the surface that rubs the ground. You can also use thick material and install in recessed areas under the spoiler. Drill and countersink #10-32 allen head screws to attach to your spoiler. Use nylocks and fender washers on the back to spread the load. This stuff cuts easily with a sabre saw.

Copied and pasted from here: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Part Number 8752K215 $19.81 Each

Polyethylene Material
    Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW)

Form
    Sheets

Length x Width
    12" x 24"

Select to change value 12" x 12" 12" x 36" 24" x 24" 24" x 36" 24" x 48"

Thickness
    .5"

Thickness Tolerance
    ±.063"

Length Tolerance
    +.063"

Width Tolerance
    +.063"

Opaque
    White

Lowest Operating Temperature
    Below +45° F

Highest Operating Temperature
    Above +100° F

Operating Temperature Range
    -22° to +180° F

Performance Characteristic
    Wash-Down Applications

Tensile Strength
    6300 psi

Impact Strength
    Unbreakable by notched Izod test.

Specifications Met
    Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Compliant

Hardness
    Shore D: 67

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I agree, I made UHMW skidpads for my 360--tough as nails, haven't cracked. The material is easy to work with--cuts well, drills well, etc. Should be an easy do it yourself install assuming you have a jig saw and drill.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a guy at 713 682-0370 that's making them in nylon, stainless, or titanium, I believe.

Look great, on the car!

8. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I had aluminum skid plates put on my 360 Spider and have already seen it do it's work. I bought it from Pinnacle Motorsports and I know of at least six other folks who are very happy with them along with a few more 355 owners. They come in polished aluminum, carbon composite, and titanium. Not sure on availability. Give them a call. They are located in Houston, TX. I could post pictures if you like.

Pinnacle Motorsports can be reached at the number Speedy308 just posted.

Cheers

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Are the 360 skidplates curved for an exact fit? The problem with the set I purchased was that they were flat, and didn't fit well. Ended up making partial molds of the front bumper using an epoxy based clay, then I clamped and screwed the plates to these molds and baked them in the oven (which my wife loved). Fortunately, UHMW material does OK with this. Still, the fit is not perfect, and I have a new 360 on order that I would like to have more perfect plates for. Any photos you could post would be great.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Do a search for the vendor named above. They have pics of installed plates.

11. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    They fit perfectly on my 360.

No need to do this do it yourself way. The machinist doing the work is AJ Foyt's cousin or something, who also did machine work for AJ's racing efforts. Excellent quality and money back guaranteed for life if I'm not mistaken. Do yourself a favor and call Pinnacle Motorsports.

My wife drives the 360 in hilly San Francisco so trust me when I tell you these things work and work well.

Cheers

12. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    If you're lazy (and very mechanically challenged) like me, and want the skidplates for the 355, they are $125 from Independent Ferrari Service (outside of Boston). 508 238-4224. John Tirrell runs the shop and is a good friend of mine. Tell him you heard about the plates here. These are the ones made out of the high-lubricity aircraft-grade nylon, with the beveled edge to prevent the plate from catching and grabbing and cracking the front bumper. Easy to install; just need a power screwdriver/drill and 3 minutes of your time.

vty,

--Dennis

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    OK-- I know I'm a moron, but I can't find any pictures on the Pinnacle Motorsports site, nor in a search of F-Chat.

Help?

14. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    A word of caution on the nylon. They don't look nearly as good. When they scrape they have this thread looking things rubbing off and/or hanging down. That's why Pinnacle decided to go with carbon composites. Even these, he couldn't sell. He is thinking of dumping it altogether and only selling what people want: aluminum and maybe titanium. Every nylon customer I asked had complaints.

A motorcycle buddy of mine compared the nylon to those scrape mushroom fairing savers on motorcycles. Once they get scratched they look like crap. So time for another pair. Either that or go gotta get down there and sand the things down. Cheaper is not always better.

I'll resize some pictures I took of the plates installed pre lower valance paint so you can see where the skid plates are in relation to the scrapes. They are set back a bit and beveled so that the edge won't catch and rip your spoiler off. They may seem like they are too far back but they are not. Just picture the driveway angle and you'll see why the skid plate will catch it. It has saved me from one scrape (mentioned it in the Texas section when a bunch of my friends and I went to Galveston on a drive) and has saved my wife from two already (into the driveway at work and into a gas station while she was still getting accustomed to the height of the car).

Oh, and I'm sure you've noticed but the 360 has scraped the front while at speed and hitting a dip on the road. Also remedies this sort of high speed scrape. Obviously nothing can save a spoiler if hitting a speed bump at speed, but you know what I mean.

Cheers

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Thanks, and I will look forward to the photos. I did bevel mine, and place them relatively far back, and so far they are the only thing that has scraped. With the UHMW plastic, I haven't had an issue with "threads" but I know what you mean. I have no attachment to this material other than 1) it is black, so it blends in, 2) it was easy to machine and shaped myself, and 3) back when I did this I didn't know of Pinnacle--I would much rather have purchased a set do eveything I did.

Thanks--Scott

16. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Hey Scott,

Attached you will see two pictures. 1 from an underside view and the second more eye level. If you were to see it standing up you would barely notice them. I know of a guy in town who painted his black (had to order a set of non polished ones) and whenever he scraped he'd gets under there and touch it up. Not worth it. One can barely see unless you see the car coming right at you from a bit of distance.

Cheers

P.S. Notice again I'm attaching pics pre spoiler paint so you see where the damage is and where the plates are relative to the scrapes.

17. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Wish I had some better pics. I'll send you a PM.

Cheers

18. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    This is just the info I was looking for. Since I'm having the front end completely repainted back to factory spec...now is the time for these skid plates (and the 3M stongard...).

I appreciate your suggestions - I'm going to buy them now.

19. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #19 348paul, Feb 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know I should have posted this some time ago (I have only just updated the website) but we do the 355 & 360 skid plates in Titanium and Aluminium. The Titanium ones are usually made to order but sometimes have spare sets on the shelf. The 355 Skid plates we manufacture are flat and fit onto the area under the bumper. The 360 Skid plate is curved to fit the profile of the underneath of the 360 bumper.

The pictures show the renderings of the 355 & 360 Skid plates.

Hope this helps

Paul

www.hill-engineering.co.uk

Ferrari Chat Sponsor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. nart2222

nart2222 Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Teak,

please PM me with the 360 skid plate info also.

TIA,

N

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Very nice! Will certainly keep in mind.

Regards.

22. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    please send PM ordering information for the 360 skip plates.

Thanks