Who will support my racing team ? | FerrariChat

Who will support my racing team ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm getting ready to order a bunch of hats & T shirts & maybe some jackets to sell to gather $ for my racing team. In the fall I hope to sell some DVDs of this summers activities. Who is interested ? I will be setting up a website soon also

2. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Have any prices?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    William, be careful with Jason. He'll sponsor you and even send money, then want the money back in a few months when in a "bind". Maybe in the past few months he's no longer in a bind. His eyes are bigger than his stomach.

4. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Knew that was coming. :rolleyes:

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Will, PM.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Err actually, it says you have a full box so no PM :(

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    embroidered polos, dude. embroidered polos. classy. higher margin than tees.

and i'd buy one and wear it (proudly!).

the last thing i need is another t-shirt or hat.

my 5.20 sudanese dinars.

doody.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Live and learn. You must be learning, you knew it was coming. :) Didn't bother me, I sent your money back with no problems, just my duty to tell others and let them make their own choice.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Don't expect to make money from this, I know, but it's a good idea to promote your team. What races are you going to do?

10. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No worries. Despite the fact that you and I had one bad deal, I still deliever the best prices around for all Ferrari products. ;)

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Second that. I'd gladly wear a nice embroidered polo. Would like to get a FerrariChat one as well.

12. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I'm interested. Tell us more.

13. Fast4Door

Fast4Door Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Andrew M. Fuller
    William,

You might want to talk with Jon Kofod who is a frequent poster on this forum, on how to go about getting sponsorship to race. I am not sure which series you are planning to race, Grand Am, ALMS,..? but Jon and I are working together with the franchise I work with, trying to get him funding to race a GT3 or Maserati Trofeo at either a Grand Am Rolex race or the 24 hour race in 05’.

It’s quite an involved process that we are both new to, but Jon and I have gotten a good amount of information about how this process works. I am certain Jon will chime in when he sees this post.

Sincerely,

Andrew

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You gave a sponsor his money back???? After the commitment??

THAT's amazing. I don't know which is harder to believe, that you'd give it back or that he would ask for it. LOL
    One of the saddest times in our season is peeling the old logos off, to repaint and put the new ones on.

Speaking from experience, WILLIAM H, the primary sponsor is YOU!!!

But hopefully others will see the value of your program and sign on.

It has been incredibly hard, these past few seasons, to maintain our sponsor base, and it does test your commitment at times to keep going. I have raced undersponsored in many recent events, to maintain the team.

It puts the careers of the great ones in a whole new light, when you think of
    the many years that AJ and Mario kept it going.

Better days are coming!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #15 BigTex, Feb 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Hey Andy, what the heck are you doing on Ferrarichat when you should be out getting me some sponsorship $$$$'s :) :)

Will, not sure which car you are referring to.......TR? If you are racing in anything that doesn't have TV coverage it's tough getting any sponsorship for any amount of dollars. I tried for about a year to get some $$$'s for my spec racer but a couple of hundred fans and no TV doesn't really benefit anyone. Most do it out of courtesy for people they work with.

If it's an amateur series like SCCA (excluding things like Speed World Challenge), NASA, or HSVR forget about anything beyond marginal help in funding your racing from my experience.

Grand Am Rolex is a bit easier to commit to, but even though I have willing sponsor it's the amount that's tought to negotiate. Many organizations I have met with, including Andy's outfit will commit but not at the level I am looking for in terms of funding support.

Typical Grand Am ride for one race weekend (rental..Porsche Cup Car, Maserati, etc) costs about 20-25K including insurance premium and testing days. In addition you need somewhere around 25K-30K in refundable damage deposit up front.

I am also looking at Grand Am Cup which is about half the above amount and closer to the Challenge series.

I figured that sponsorship entailed basically slapping a company logo on the car but it's much more involved and requires many things in addition to just TV advertising and such.

Anyway, pm me if you need more info on stuff beyond the basic hat and t-shirt stuff.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm going to be doing a lot of cool club events this year with the silver race car, like the FCA Annual @ Laguna, New Orleans in Nov plus Pocono which is a Very fast track and of course Lime Rock where I hope to do a 0:58 in the racer this year and Watkins Glen.

I'll also be doing some Vintage races & maybe some other series with the car. Some of these events will have 1,000s of viewers & probably some TV & Magazine exposure like New Orleans & the FCA Annual

Ive heard that Jesse James made more $ selling T shirts than Choppers :)

I will see where I can get some nice polo shirts done also. Thanks guys

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Actually, you're right about that!

Autoweek cites the money to be made from the sales like this.

Earnhart senior is STILL a moneymaker!

For consideration, (from the AJ playbook), I own:

AJ antenna ball.
    AJ embroidered track blanket (from the Dallas race, I told my date "halter and hotpants", and it was about 48 degrees that morning! She was ready to KicK my a**.)

This is a great one, AJ Glow in the dark (red) acrylic beer steins! A must for all nightime events!

You see what I mean, it all adds up FA$T!

I'm doing good, if I can get one set of shirts and caps together for MY CREW!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    WILLIAM H, my embroidery shop does all FoH work. They have all that in the computer, ready to go! HTH

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Speedy308, I have a deal with a shop in NJ re: the T shirts & hats, I asked them about embroidery already. If they cannot do it then I'll contact you about it. Thanks

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    10-4. I know that they charge "set up" fee for scanning the logos or something. I was lucky to piggy back on FoH's previous work.

22. Apex

Apex Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Start out with a lot of money...
    cheers!

23. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    William.
    A good source for Custom Apparel is Outer Circle.
    They do some Cup teams and Ganassi etc.
    There Pricing is real fair.
    ph# 1707 7819484
    e mail [email protected]
    Kind regards
    Wayne Hynes

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name: