360 owners... have you broken your door handle before?? | FerrariChat

360 owners... have you broken your door handle before??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Pong, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I just wonder who else has the same experience with the 360's door handle breaking???

My brother has just bought the car for 2 weeks and driven it twice...the plastic door handle has something broken inside the door already. Now the driver's door cannot be opened from outside. I have been wondering how weak-looking 360's door handle is, but I never expected it to break with in 2 weeks!!!

Well, he said the handle already feel very stiff the first day he bought it, but never really seriously think about it....last week, when he tried to open the door, it just went PLUK!!...

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    No door handle problem here. I think the key is to be careful when pulling on something in an italian car. :) But seriously, I've given a lot of rides to kids and teenagers during a charity fundraiser and they tug on the inside handle hard enough to make me wince. No damage whatsoever though.

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    had my 360 since 2000. no problems with the car at all. * knock on wood *

4. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    I had the same problem with the pasenger door a week after delivery, the dealer said it was a pretty common problem, it has not been a problem since.

Adam

5. JRocks

JRocks Karting

Sep 17, 2003
    California
    Haven't had my 360 for too long but have not had any problems. I have a 9 year old who is pretty tough on the handles again, no problem.

6. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I have not had the problem yet but it should happen soon. Most of the problems I read about the 360 seem to happen to my car before too long. I am sure it is an easy fix.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Wayne Mello had the same problem on his 360.

8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    No problem on my end either, thank goodness. But I have heard it happening to a few others.

9. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    We had a 360 at the shop with 900 miles on it, it came in with 1 bad door handle, the other broke the next day, so we replaced both.

It was not the handle that broke, but the cable retainer on the handle.

It is an all day fix! (pain in the ass)

10. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    Owners, what about the ashtray.

A friend had his 2003 delivered in April and on the day of delivery the ashtray was broken. The car hasn't returned to the dealer yet so it hasn't been checked by the dealer.

I have tried everything possible to figure out how it is supposed to actually retract but I can't get it to work. I did take the little flags off of it because the friend felt they looked tacky (and I have to agree)

Just curious if this is something that has happened to others.

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I had the broken ashtray problem. The lid will not stay closed and that's when I found out the bottom was broken. Chalk it up to brittle italian plastic. Other bits seems fine.

12. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    2400 miles and none of these problems have cropped up.......hopefully they won't

13. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i have had three 360's and no problems except for the clutch sleeve that was changed on the 00 model which was under warranty.

14. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have an 03 360 with 1300 miles on it and no such problems. Once on startup it was very obvious something was not firing right. I shut it off and tried again and it was fine. The check engine light came on and stayed on for about the next three times that I drove it with no other symptoms and then all of a sudden it cleared itself. The dealership told me to always wait for the check OK to come on before starting it up and said that it could have been the problem. Since then no problems.

15. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Sometimes I find that during the winter, my 360 does not start on the first turn of the key. But then when i fire it up immediately afterwards, the car is fine. Is this because the circuits may be cold or something?

16. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Thank you all for the replies.

Well, we brought the car into the dealer today. They said it was a very common problem for the 360 in Thailand and take about a day to fix it.

I drove the car in for my brother and also notice a starnge noise, like a rat running whenever the car hit the bumps or going up and down the bridge. The dealer promised to look at it. I wonder anybody had this noise before? Is it something to do with the adjustable shocks?

We have track day event next week, so we would really like to get the car fixed...ha ha ha...

17. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Here in the UK, I only had the problem once when the weather was freezing. By the time I got to the dealer the car had warmed up, the door worked fine and I looked an idiot!!

No problems since.

18. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    a rat running??? – I had a click/clack noise in my 360 Modena F1 when I drove over speed bumps or with high speed over uneven roads – finding such noises and getting them fixed is a hassle – I am very picky and attentive to engine/chassis noises ... – here is a rundown of what was done

- tightened all suspension bolts

- insulated air tube & oil cooler lines – this was done by adding some fasteners so that the lines would not hit the end of a bolt sticking out of the engine sub-frame

- insulated engine trim panels & belly pans

- replaced some of the sway-bar bushing / ball joint parts – the bushings are nylon and can start to squeak – this fixed most of the click/clack. Note that there is a thread in the old FChat about the sway bar noise in 2003 360’s too.

locating the source of the noise is a pain - credit to FoSeattle for sticking with it and getting it fixed – they even bought a special device that allows the mechanic to attach a microphone to suspension parts and listen to noise while driving in order to sort it out

I believe that the majority of the noises have been caused by the sway bars and the rest has been pushed to the forefront by large speed bumps in font of my house and my preference for curvy back roads. I probably have the best sorted out cat in that aspect, i.e. along the lines if you search for stuff you will find something.

19. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Well Thomas,

It does sound like a rat running..ha ha. However, this is a brand new car with 600 km on the clock. The sound only occurs when there is a change in elevation abruptly, like going up and down the bridge or uneven road where the car move up and down quite a bit. Sometime the sound move from left to right very quickly and other time it's right to left...or just one side makes noise, or both at the same time...That's why I wonder if it has something to do with the adjustable shocks or not...However, I will keep your comment in my mind and let the mechanic know. Thanks a lot...

It is very strange since this is a brand new car. I also find the car doesn't track truely straight ahead. The car feels a bit wondering at speed above 150 km/h... there may be something to do with poor road we have in Thailand tough...ha ha.

20. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    well the sway bar transfers load from a wheel on one side to the other - it prevents exessive body roll - during normal operation the sway bar is not loaded - if a wheel is pushed up the sway bar is loaded through a torosional load - when this happens it turns in the bushings at witch point it generates the sound by sort of braking loose

because the wheels are pushed up / down constantly on bumpy roads the sound from the two bushings in front and the two in the rear generate a constant clicking from all over the place - this is made more complicated by the fact that the noise is transfreered by the frame throughout the car

I actually was able to simulate it with one wheel by jacking up the car - putting a wood block under the wheel - dropping the car slowly on the block - you can actually hear the clack coming from the bushings once the torrosions bar is loaded

one theory is that during transportation on see the salt water gets into the bushings and disolves the lubrication - overall this is not a big problem it is only anoying

however if this is not the cause of the problems we still can go back to the rats theory - not sure what the solution would be poison?

my car had 200miles

what tires do you run - P Zeros? they have a tendency to feel that way on my car (have you checked tire pressure - you might want to experiment with the pressure)

21. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Mine did not break, but it somehow got loose and fell off. No big deal was able to fix it with a screw driver in about five minutes

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have run into a couple of 360 door handel problems. Most of the time it's just the plastic clip that comes apart at the handel itself. It seems that the angle of the cable going into the handel is one that puts to much stress on the clip and it breakes or the streaches the plastic so it doesn't hold anymore.

As far as the funny nosie..I'd have a look at the battery hold down. Somtimes if the battery was replaced with an aftermarket unit,the hold down does clamp the battery inplace tight enough,causeing it to rattel and slide around a bit.

23. Ferrari360

Ferrari360 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    My 2001 360 has 15,000 on it and the drivers door handle has broken three times. Usually, it is an uncareful valet, but there is no question that it is very fragile and a bad design.

There are other things that have gone wrong, including:

1) Clutch and throw-out bearing: 7500 miles
    2) Tires: Rear 9000 miles
    3) Brake pads: 11,000 miles (with rotors)
    4) Battery: 15,000 miles
    5) F1 pump (stranded): 12,000 miles
    6) F1 relay(s): 15,000 miles
    7) Grounding problems: 1,500 miles
    8) Misc check engine light coming on requiring dealer visit: 4 times
    9) Popping out of gear: 10,000 miles (new brain, etc installed)
    10) Shift brain adjustment: 3 times

The only thing that has cost me are the brake pads and the service.