Best driving roads around NYC? | FerrariChat

Best driving roads around NYC?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by chris_w, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris_w

chris_w Rookie

Dec 3, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi everyone,

well, my girlfriend got fed up of listening to me moaning about missing driving since we moved to Manhattan so she's hired me a Corvette for the day next weekend!

Would obviously like to make the most of time with the car so wondered if any of you could give me any help on where to go? Ideally would like twisty stuff (without too many cops!) and maybe a destination to aim for that will please the girlfriend (even she might baulk at the idea of spending all day being driven around NY!).

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    is this for NYC ONLY..........?????

3. chris_w

chris_w Rookie

Dec 3, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry, should have been more specific. Will be picking up car in Manhattan and then heading off the island for a days driving. Not sure if there's a mileage limit yet.

Just editing my profile to explain that I'm new to NYC (and the USA for that matter) to help put my question in context.

Cheers,

Chris

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Go north. There are great roads around west point. rt. 9W between rt 9 and the bear mtn bridge is awesome, but only a few miles long. There are alot of other nice roads up by bear mtn. I'll try to think of afun way to get to those places. Maybe the bronx river pkwy or saw mill pkwy to rt 9?
    I personally like roads in northern westchester and greenwich county CT.

5. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    I agree with Tim. The 9W roads leading north to Bear Mountain, and the mountain itself, are spectacular driving indulgunces. At the mountain, it's the closest thing to the Monte Carlo twisties. One of the reasons why we bought in Rockland county, to be near those great roads.

Gus
    Technik 1

6. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I second the North direction. The drive to Tater's Dodge is a great one, but there's not much to see once you get there -- maybe a few Vipers and you pass by a few horse farms.

If you want to head out East on Long Island, you can go wine tasting, have a nice lunch and visit the shopping nightmare known as Tanger Outlet Mall.

If you want a twisty route, take 495 East to 135 North. Exit at the end of 135 onto 25 East. Make a left at the third or fourth light onto 108 North (Woodbury Road). Continue onto 108 North (Making a left past the Cold Spring Harbour LIRR station), make a right onto 25A (Second Traffic Light?) and take 25A until you see the Sod Farms...

7. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Chris: There is lots of excellent driving in the Tri-State area (Connecticut, New Jersey & New York), but most of it is north of the city. I myself, like driving in the Catskill Mountains, Delaware County specifically.... But this time of year it is much, much colder up there, as that part of the world is away from the ocean and very much in a different weather zone. Cold roads, glare ice, salt and rocks are no way to enjoy a sports car.

It being late February - why not take a drive to the Hamptons or Montauk Point at the end of Long Island??? The last place you will want to drive come the summer!!

8. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    It being late February - why not take a drive to the Hamptons or Montauk Point at the end of Long Island??? The last place you will want to drive come the summer!![/QUOTE]

I agree, have lunch at Gurney's Inn right on the beach in Montauk.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    cruise down along the Verazzano Narrows (one of the most spectacular places in our area) and wind up out at the beach; Jones Beach, off season, is a nice drive, and if you get the urge to go out to Montauk or the Hamptons (also off-season is better in my estimation), you can do that too.

North of the city, its pretty easy. You can take any number of different highways to get north. One nice way, barring traffic, is simply to go up the west side highway. It will take you thru some beautiful "s's" unfortunately marked as a 30mph zone, but at least its nice roadway for an urban setting. Just keep going north, from there it turns into the Henry Hudson, after crossing a toll bridge, and eventually, into the Saw Mill Parkway. That will get you north pretty quickly. I know a number of backroutes once you get as far north as Tarrytown; for example, take 448 out of Tarrytown, puts you onto the Rockefeller estate, gorgeous scenery, follow that road to 100 north, which takes you to the resevoirs; 100 can take you to rt.35, and then to rt 22, which you can run north or south with some pleasure.

Bear Mtn. is most easily reached from the city by taking the Palisades Pkwy off the G-Washington Bridge. Once up into the Bear Mtn. area, say 35 miles or so north of the bridge, you have a huge number of options. Likewise, Rt 17, going toward the Catskills can be fun, as are alot of the backroads, in the immediate area of Bear Mtn. There is a route along Rt.6 that hugs the mountain, and you feel like you are driving in the Alps.
    Or, take the road 9W up thru Stormking, and get off on Rt 218, north of West Point, the road also hugs the mountain along the river, great twisties, and a nice place to stop for a view of Bannerman's Island (an old fortress and armory out in the middle of the Hudson River).

Glad to show you some routes when the weather clears. [NOTE: I cut and pasted this response from a similar thread, entitled-owning in NYC. Good luck]

10. chris_w

chris_w Rookie

Dec 3, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Excellent! Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. Will now sit down with a map and work out how much I can cram into a day.

Will let you know how I get on,

Chris

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    That thread was mine :D I know we've got a couple of theme-specific rides planned over the next couple of months, but I would love to organize a couple of "just to drive" drives, where we all congregate and go out to some of these places.

I'm especially excited about putting something like this together since I've just become the proud owner of a Red/Tan 355B (or at least have agreed to purchase it).

Regards.

12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Don't want any additional traffic messing up my driving enjoyment.

Just Kidding. There are some beautiful driving roads in Orange and Rockland Counties, NW of NYC. Come on up. :)

Tom

13. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Head north on the Bronx or Saw Mill to Route 9 in Westchester near Pleasentville. Proceed North on 9 to the signs for Bear Mountain Bridge. Follow the Bear Mountain Road all the way to the Bridge. Go over the bridge and follow the road up past West Point towards Newburgh. Turn around before Newburgh and repeat, at the Bridge bear left and follow that Road to Cold Spring which is a great Day Trip this time of years. All sorts of things to keep SWMBO happy and lots of good restaurants.

14. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    PALISADES PRKWAY NORTH TO EXIT 15...GO WEST ...20 MILES OF THE MOST AWESOME ROADS IN NY.. FOLLOW TO GREENWOOD LAKE, AND HAVE A BEER AT A LAKESIDE BAR....YOU WILL NOT PASS A SINGLE BUILDING FOR ALL THOSE 20 MILES OF STEEP TWISTIES, IF YOU SEE SIDE ROADS TURN OFF AND GET LOST,THATS WHAT THEY'RE THERE FOR.
    TRY SEVEN LAKES DRIVE
    TRY LAKE WELCH DRIVE
    TRY STORM KING HIGHWAY
    TRY PERKINS MEMORIAL DRIVE
    RTE 6 TO WOODBURY
    TOO TOO MANY TO LIST , WAIT FOR SPRING IT EVEN NICER!
    HEY TECKNICK, WHERE DID YOU BUY IN ROCKLAND, I'M IN POMONA
    MICHAEL

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Stay on 17A and go over Mt. Peter. More beautiful, challenging roads. This will put you in Warwick, my town. I'll buy the beer. If interested, e-mail me for directions and phone #. I'd like to meet you. :)

Tom

16. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    If you stay on 17 long enough, you can go to the Finger Lakes. Not far from Watkins Glen, and a jewel of a town called "Skaneadeles." If you get that far, check out "Doug's Fish Fry" and stay at the little French hotel just outside of town. They have an awesome spa.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Just watch out for the cops...! Last time i was out there, they gave me 6 points on my license... Be vewy, vewy, careful... It's always wabbit season out there...

18. chris_w

chris_w Rookie

Dec 3, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks again for all your help! Especially for the warnings about the police - there's only so far my English accent and lost tourist routine will get me!

Have a map in front of me and busy plotting out a route now. Will report back on Monday!

Chris

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Chris,

What ended up happening?

20. chris_w

chris_w Rookie

Dec 3, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi everyone, sorry for the slow response but had to fly back to the UK for a couple of weeks. Anyway, I had a great day in the car and all your input certainly helped me find the right places to enjoy it. Best of all was the 301 down to Cold Springs which down to we did three times and cooked the brakes on!

Did a write up for the Corvette boys on pistonheads.com if you're interested...

Pick the car up from the rental place in NY city and was very impressed. Was never that sold on the Corvette in the UK where it seemed a bit bloated but after five months looking at SUV's and utterly anonymous 'sedans' the 'Vette is a real breath of fresh air. Once inside though the effect is somewhat tarnished as, bar the extra toys, I feel I could still be in one of the aforementioned Jap-mobiles or, more likely, a lesser model in the Chevy range. The interior is just too low rent for a car with that level of performance and exterior promise. The cheap, shiny plastics that hadn't aged well (ok, this was a rental with 30K miles on it) just jarred and would irritate me as an owner.

But I hadn't bought this car, I had it for 1 day with only one thing in mind.... so I fired her up and was greeted with a lovely woofle. Engaged drive and moved off back to the apartment to pick up the girlfrend and was struck by the ease of driving the car. The auto certainly helped but the steering was light with just a little weight at town speeds and visibility was good. Once back at the apartment the girlfriend took one look at the car and decided she needed to be insured to drive it too so back to the rental centre to sort that out and another half hour wasted! On our way out of town we put the roof down (easy once you knew how but suprised it wasn't automated given that everything else was powered).

Up to higher speeds now and the car impressed with it's comfort. I'd been amazed by it's ability to soak up bumps in NY where the potholes are atrocious. The downside to the compliant suspension now became evident on the freeway where the frequent expansion joints highlighted a lack of tight body control. I know I'm used to the uncompromising go-kart like Elise but was still surprised and was slightly perturbed when taking fast sweepers to find the front and rear ends slightly out of sync.

At this point I was still busiest trying to negotiate my way through the cut and thrust traffic and it was here that I got my second biggest shock. I had reckoned that the auto box would not sit right with my own personal opinion of what constitutes a sports car transmission and that's what I found as I came off an exit ramp and tried to blend with tighly packed traffic on the George Washington bridge. I put my foot down and realised that it wasn't going to be quite enough so floored it whilst watching the car behind rapidly closing on my $3,000 excess behind... nothing happened! Well, not for an ice age or so it seemed. Then, as collision seemed unavoidable all hell broke loose and I rapidly transfered my attention from the rear view mirror to the now rapidly filling windscreen. It's a mighty motor no doubt and I'd just got a taste of what was available when not being hushed around by the auto box.

After stopping for some pictures we headed up the banks of the Hudson towards Bear mountain to some more sinuous roads. Clear of the city traffic it was now possible to play some more with the power available. It was a true revelation the way it piled on speed but most surprising was the easy manner in which it did it. The kick down could be violent but the acceleration never seemed as brutal as the digits on the excellent head up display (utterly fantastic - please tell me why every car isn't required to have this?) told us. I think this is because even in the upper rev range the V8 never sounded manic.

Funniest part of the day was driving through a pretty much deserted Bear Mountain state park and coming across another C5 in the opposite direction! Flashed lights and waved and was just like being back in the Elise back home!

Across the river (after a brief detour when the girlfriend managed to 'accidentally' navigate us to an outlet mall...) and onto the best driving roads we found all day. The 301 down to Cold Springs from the Taconic Parkway down through another state park was simply superb. Almost completely traffic free it was smooth, twisty and flowing and by my third run down it I was really beginning to flow. The smooth roads allowed the car to shine, really digging in on the corners and whilst I doubt I ever came close to the limits of adhesion it was great fun. The girlfrined and I swapped seats and the V8 goaded us into some juvenile antics (0-60 sprints and see who can register the highest speeds) but the car always felt composed, safe and robust.

That was until my third and final run down the 301 when the brakes squealed enough. First came the smell and then the softening pedal. They were cooked. I've no doubt that the auto box could take the blame for this (I was leaving it in drive so there was little to no engine braking) but even so, I was suprised and wouldn't consider the auto car suitable for any track work based on this experience without upgrading the brakes.

With darkness setting in and a light intermittant drizzle giving the traction control something to think about for the first time, we headed back to NY at a comfortable cruise. I took the time to marvel at the trip computers wealth of information and was surprised that we'd managed to average 17mpg for the day.

Overall, I was a little disappointed by the car but I would openly admit to having very 'European' tastes in cars. I'd love to try one with a manual as I think this would move it a lot closer to my idea of a true drivers cars and the suspension also had room for improvement. I'm probably being a bit harsh because the standard Corvette I drove was obviously built to survive daily use in the US and this is no mean feat. The suspension settings are a function of the terrible roads it has to soak up and it does so admirably. A more extreme setup might add smooth B-road fluency, some steering weight and feedback but would have made driving on the majority of roads we encountered a wince-inducing nightmare. The engine was, of course, the star of the show and the only criticism I would make of it would be it's long term effect on my driving licence!

21. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Best of all was the 301 down to Cold Springs which down to we did three times and cooked the brakes on!
    Best of all was the 301 down to Cold Springs which down to we did three times and cooked the brakes on!
    The Rental car company called and they want 3 times the price they charged You