Has anyone installed an Electric Water Pump in a 308? | FerrariChat

Has anyone installed an Electric Water Pump in a 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    If so what brand and how did you do it? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I have not installed one, but the only one I know of is made by "Davies, Craig", out of Australia:

Davies, Craig Ltd.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I have a Davies Craig one in a cupboard. Keep meaning to put it on, but never found the time/opportunity.

I cant see a problem with it.

My shop is 10 minutes from the factory here in Melbourne and they sell loads, usually in specials or kit cars though.

I plan to put it on a 360 along with electric power steering. Makes the engine bay sooooooo much cleaner...and quicker for engine removal.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks for the site. It does look like a great pump. I even found a dist. in the US for the pump. Thanks Again.

5. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you use one do you then hook the alternator directly to the crankshaft pully?

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Ive used these pumps had no problems,the smart controller is ok but
    you can make your own control system,dont forget to remove the stat when using this type of pump,

Dale.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Now if you remove the stat wouldn't the water still bypass the rad. like it would conventionally on a 308? I know stock the thermostat has to be in place on a 308 otherwise coolant will bypass the rad.

My QV has a seperate belt for the waterpump and alt. You could use your existing belt and just remove the impeller from the waterpump. This way it spins freely like a idler pulley or you could get a shorter length Gates belt for the job. I would think you would still have to remove the waterpumps impeller to use an electric waterpump anyway.

8. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I just checked the Summit Racing catalog, and there are lots of electric water pump replacements for American iron. The interesting thing is that most retain the original water pump, but just replace the drive either with a direct electric motor drive or a replacement belt driven by an electric motor.

The Davies, Craig unit appears to be a completely self-contained unit.

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Yes sorry 308gts i did forget the bypass system,this as you said will have to be blanked off if you remove the stat, the stat closes off the bypass when it opens,when i put on electric pump i lazer cut a 8mm thick alloy plate to replace the pump,somtimes its not that easy so fabricate new alloy water pipes and make your own system,the heater will sufer so get a booster pump
    for coolant though the heater matrix,
    cheers
    Dale.