Source for decent Jacks | FerrariChat

Source for decent Jacks

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Auraraptor, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I need a source for decent car jacks I can use on my 328. So they have to be low, able to reliably support the weight, etc.

Which do you guys recomend?

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
  3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yea but how much is that?

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    $2600 delivered and installed. I love mine and use it all the time not only for oil changes and the like but also for detailing the chassis.

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Which did you get? The 2 or 4 pillar?

7. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Auraraptor .
    You might try Argo Manufacturing Co.
    Ken J.Mitson
    P.O. Box 359 4n944 Old La Fox Rd Wasco,Illinois 60183
    E mail [email protected]
    16303771750ph
    16303770274fax
    They have a good selection of racing jacks that may get as low as you need.
    Kind Regards
    wayne Hynes

8. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    AC Hydraulics has the best stands and their DK13HLQ is the lowest long reach jack on the market (see http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html ). FNA bought one of these from me and it works perfectly on the 360 (and other models). The flat top stands with rubber pads are ideal for supporting F-cars with their flat frame rails and jackpoints.

9. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Although I don't have one of Steve's jacks (Ultgar) a friend of mine does and it looks like on of the best I have seen or used.

Steve only sells top line stuff. Shameless plug but I am a customer of Steve's on brake parts and he offers good service and only quality items.

I have a Longacre aluminum jack that I bought before Steve started carrying his jack, that is also a very good jack (approx $600). Many NASCAR teams use this jack.

Not to upset Dave (Maranelloman) but the Harborfreight jacks are pure junk. If you jack your car up once a year to change to snow tires it might work but if you used it more than a few times a month or go to the track they break real fast.

Ask anyone in the racing community or track day crowd and you get the same response, great price..............but pure junk after one season.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

10. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    I bought the aluminum jack that Sears now sells... and it works great! It easily fits under my 308, lowered 348 and TR. For the money ($170 on sale), it's a freakin' bargin.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If you have a Costco near you, they have a very nice jack for sale. It is an Arcan for $69.95. I really like it better than my Craftsman. It is a 2.5ton jack, with a ground clearance of 3.5", and a lift height of 21". It has double hydrolic pumps, which makes it really easy it pump. I can use three fingers to lift the car. It is the best bag for your buck.

12. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I bought a Harbor Freight 3000 pound Aluminum Floor Jack (around $150) for occasional use as it would slip right under my 308 GTB QV, and I figured it could not be too bad for the money. I already had a big heavy steel 7000 pound Michelin floor jack from Sams Club (around $60) that would not fit under my 308 GTB QV.

To further my enjoyment, I bought a set of Solo2 Hoosiers and a tire trailer to pull behind my S2000 last season, and I wound up using that "cheap pure junk" jack a helluva lot more than I had ever planned. I used it last season to swap tires at the track for over 10 events, some of the events were in the rain with multiple tire swaps back and forth between slicks and intermediates. The poor jack was bounced around inside the tire trailer as I travelled 80 miles each way back and forth to the track, and it was even used several times in the mud and dirt, where the jack wheels sunk in right to the jack frame. It turns out that I now rarely use my bigger steel floor jack in my garage and on my driveway, since it is so much heavier and more cumbersome to drag around than the much lighter weight Harbor Freight Aluminum Floor Jack.

Despite the much harder than anticipated use it seems little worse for the wear after occasionally hosing it off with the garden hose, and then spraying it down with WD-40. It's now looking forward to an even harder second season. IME it's not a bad jack for the money!

I am sure that the $600 models out there are indeed better jacks, but I sincerely doubt they are 400 percent better (in keeping with their incrementally higher cost). Plus, I heard that the Harbor Freight Jack is even cheaper now than when I bought mine a year ago, so that the incremental price difference is even greater. I dunno, maybe I got a good one, or maybe mine is about to break.

If cost is no object then buy the better jack. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather spend the extra money to replace my $800 Hoosiers sooner and be faster by running on fresher stickier rubber!

Kind Regards, Chris

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Chris,

I don't mean to knock Harbor Freight. I have bought power tools from them and other stuff that is in my race trailer. However, that being said I have seen many of their jacks fail and heard many more stories.

Like you said, it's a good price (now $129) and if it lasts a long time then you saved a lot of money. I have had my Longacre for 6 years and I do 10+ track events per year and somewhere around 12 race weekends and it's never needed any servicing or failed once. At track weekends I might change wheels twice per day, at a race weekend even more.

It all depends on what you need if for. If you use at home, or the occasional track day it's a good value. However, I use mine at sprint races and endurance races and at these venues, the last thing you want is to come into the pits while in the lead and have a jack that doesn't work.

How many times have you heard a race complain that he lost a championship or a race because of either a cheap part or a $5 part.

It all depends on your perspective and how important a jack is the each person. I see people who have to have every conceivable option in their trailers like beautiful flooring, shiny walls, TV outlets, sinks and on and on........

My trailer has wooden floors, wooden walls and $20 tool boxes. My money goes into those things that could directly influence a race win or a DNF. Therefore I have no problem spending $600 on a jack, but no way I am going to pay $2000 on a shny aluminum floor for my trailer.

Regards,

Jon

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    For a floor jack, go to WalMart and buy their 1-ton jack for twenty bucks. Take the wheels off and it will slide under the car with ease! I use this and it's great for everything I need to do.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have had good luck with my Harbor Freight jack. Although I just use a $25 fold into the case jack 90% of the time from Sears.

16. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Jon,

At your level of racing competition things are more complicated. Like me, you also prioritize your purchases with the emphasis on being faster.

I'm racing in Solo2 events which though quite competitive within my class, have all to do with the driver and the tires than any other hardware. Had I realized that I was going to be racing so much I probably would have more seriously considered buying a higher quality jack myself. However, I also didn't realize I would enjoy Solo2 so much, nor that I would be changing tires at the track and using a lightweight jack so much. Nevertheless, I have found myself in that situation, and the jack choice was already made. So far so good though, and I have no regret buying the less expensive jack.

When and if my less expensive jack does break at the track I have the advantage of being able to use my OEM jack as a backup -- since it goes with me to the track in the trunk along with the car's OEM spare tire and these only get stripped out and stored in the tire trailer while I'm changing tires at the track.

I drive the car to the track pulling a small enclosed tire trailer behind the car. The trailer only holds 4 Hoosier tires, the lightweight floor jack, a torque wrench, a breaker bar, a ratchet, and my magnetic door numbers. I drive there on my intermediates (Potenza S02s). It's 80 miles each way, and looks like I'll be racing in over 20 events this season. This is rather "low impact" racing, in more ways than one...

Good Luck this season!

Kind Regards, Chris

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Which did you get? Are you satisfied with it?

I would like to know as basicly, the more I deny it, the more I NEED one. :)

18. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    The AC Hydraulic is the best jack for the home garage and the sears is great for the track IMO.