348 Key Blanks | FerrariChat

348 Key Blanks

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ricambi America, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Feb 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need some replacement keys for a 1990 348. So, being a clever lad I ordered some from eBay merchant, keys4classics.com (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40016&item=2459639235)

Since "Ace is the place", I let my friendly neighborhood hardware man make the duplicates. Guess what? They don't work.

The replacement keys from eBay read "Silica Italy, GT6R EP" Can anyone confirm these are the appropriate blanks? Did I just get a lousy cut from the duplicating machine?

Below, the duplicate key is shown on the left; original on the right.

Anyone able to help?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Yikes! You should contact Sodacoms (click the sponsors link).

He sells original 348 keys....kinda pricey, but you know how it goes with these cars.

3. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    If it will fit in the lock, it's probably the correct blank. The cuts, as shown in your photo, do look perhaps a little different, tho. Try pressing them in clay, 1st one, then the other in the same spot. You might be able to detect a difference.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I used a real locksmith shop to make my spare sets - I read here a warning about hardware stores doing it - Mine work great.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If it's a steel key, and the person cutting it the didn't notice that -- could be "undercut" (since the typical key cutting tool is for softer brass)

6. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Have you tried Key-Men.com?
    http://key-men.com/index.html

I got my 348ts keys from them. I purchased two ignition copies and two glove box keys for around $24. For that price they even cut the glove box keys using the code I gave them. Also very quick.

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

ShanB -

Where can I find the key code? Is it etched somewhere on the car itself?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

8. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    The code for the glove box lock was stamped on my master key. The code for the door/ignition key is usually somewhere in the owner's documentaion (which I didn't have) so I just ordered the blank door and ignition key# FT46 / X152. I got the ignition key at a local hardware store (true value, I think) I asked first to make sure they could cut steel keys for foreign cars which they had no problem with - perfect copy.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Daniel,

In addition to being stamped on the original keys, the key codes should also appear on the first page of the warranty booklet along with other data filled in by the dealership at the time of sale.

Barry

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I got my folding key from GT CAR Parts for $13.oo

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Do you have a URL for GT ? I'd love to get a folding key.

YES, in fact I went to a locksmith who looked at the blanks (from keys4classics) and he refused to cut them because they're steel. I'm sure the keys are undercut from my adventure at Ace Hardware, so if I can just find somebody willing to cut a steel key, I can probably get them fixed. In the meantime, my neighborhood locksmith cut some brass replacements that work fine.

In this little episode, I leaned that it's sheer stupidity to tell folks I need something for a Ferrari. They immediately shake their heads and say, "nope, can't do it". When I say "Fiat", they're more than willing to help.

Best Regards,
    Daniel

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Just checked my old receipt. I bought an original folding key blank from Ferrari of Seattle, part #95401152, in 2000, for $12.66. I think it cost at least that much to have the locksmith cut it, but it works perfectly. The blanks are made by "Sipea". My 348 does not have the locking console box.

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

14. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    In this little episode, I leaned that it's sheer stupidity to tell folks I need something for a Ferrari. They immediately shake their heads and say, "nope, can't do it". When I say "Fiat", they're more than willing to help.

Best Regards,
    Daniel[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right - that goes for everything non-Ferrari specific on these cars, from alternator rebuilds to wires, switches, fuses, misc materials, etc. When dealing with parts people I always tell them "it's a Fiat"

15. Tal

Tal Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Tal Withington
  16. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I just ordered 2 folding key blanks from GT for $15.38 each. The above referenced part number (95401152) is a Ferrari key blank part number. My local dealer (Shelton Ferrari) gets $30.70 each. BTW, this is for my 1990 348ts for reference.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

For a grand total of $0.00, I went to a different locksmith who happily re-cut the blanks for my car. Indeed, a special cutter for steel keys was needed. Both blanks work perfectly now! (well, they're a little sticky... but nothing too worrisome)

I wonder if my future repairs will also cost $0.00. What a bargain!

Thanks for everyone's help!

18. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    After waiting 6 months for a key from my dealer, I went to one of those key booths you see in the midle of shoping center parking lots.
    $3.25 later, my F40 now has a spare ignition key. And yes, it works fine......

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Guys,

I'm looking to get a duplicate set made as well, and this thread has been very helpful. A couple of quick questions:

(i) What is a "folding" key? Is that for the door/ignition, the glove compartment, or something else?

(ii) If you don't have your original code, and just order a blank door and ignition key# FT46 / X152, as stated above, do you just go to a locksmith and get them cut -- simple as that? Where do you order this from (any Ferrari dealer?), and how much does it cost?

(iii) What's the difference between getting a blank Ferrari key (as noted in (ii)) versus just doing what zsnnf did, which is just going to a standard locksmith and getting the key duplicated with a regular steel blank?

Sorry for the ignorance, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

20. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I ordered my blanks off eBay from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40016&item=2466182348

In the process of finding a locksmith who could cut steel keys, I realized that most good locksmiths (not the ones in the mall), had a perfectly good Fiat style blank in brass. Although I don't use it, I had one of those Fiat blanks made ($2.50 for the key, $1.00 to cut) and keep it as a spare. Works perfect. The trick, tell them you need a replacement key for a Fiat, and they'll be helpful; tell them it's for a Ferrari, and they'll run away.

-Daniel

21. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    got mine from the same guy. they came quickly (from Australia). but i did have to buy three to satisfy the minimum order requirements.

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Strange for the long wait, Dave at Sodacom's has the F40 ignition key for $55, the neat thing is they fit the 308/328 series as well. :)
    http://shop.vendio.com/sodacom/item/536277243/index.html

But you guys are all right, there are generic equivalents available at any well stocked locksmith. I paid $2.50 each for a spare door and ignition key for my previous 308. There just brass Ilco brand blanks...