New Ferrari factory?? | FerrariChat

New Ferrari factory??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Lee White, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White
    OK, this might be a really dumb question, but is Ferrari building a new factory?? A couple of months ago, I was browsing the aisles at Borders, and I came across a German architecture magazine with pics of an obviously new and expensive new facility that has been built for Ferrari. Lots of glass and steel, potted plants, and yet still retaining the functional look of a factory instead of something else, like a company HQ. Since I cannot read German, I don't know what this new facility is. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks.

Lee

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ferrari is in the process of updating their facilities. Lots of new buildings, started with the wind tunnel a couple of years ago. I believe the building you're refering to is the new design center. I think the 2002 yearbook offered some good information on this topic.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Any images?

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It's a new facility for design and marketing I believe. It will have a glass floor with water running under it. It's almost done.

5. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    #5 prova, Feb 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The architect for the windtunnel is Renzo Piano. An Italian architect, and one of the best modern architects currently alive.

Rijk

7. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    its it still located in marranello?

8. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Rijk, that was the same architect who did the Pompidou Center in Paris, correct?

9. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    I believe the factory will be named, or will be near Mugello. If I remember, it is scheduled to open in 2006. It will probably be cool inside, but it wont have the soul and history of the maranello plant, considering that nearly all the ferrari production models have been assembled in the same room.

10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It's very close to the town of Maranello. The bulk of the facility is dedicated to the F1 race team, but they are constructing a visitors center and eventually will move production of the road cars there. The wind tunnel is incredible in person. We were drivimg around the perimeter of Fiorano track hoping to get a glimpse of the Enzo that we knew was testing there when we came across the new facility. (Summer of 2002.)

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Last fall in the R&D facility