FOC address chatrooms issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FOC address chatrooms issue

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by simon355, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GOS 348

GOS 348 Karting

Jan 17, 2004
    Edenbridge, Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris Gosling

2. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I too read the comment in the magazine, and have my own thoughts on the issues mentioned.
    One I will share now is when I was thinking about buying my first Ferrari I wanted some help and advice, I could not and still cannot see any way of getting this from the club.

I spoke to QV in the end who gave me all the help they could, thanks again guys.

I understand that they, FOC, may be wary about any legal implications but some pointers would have been a great help.

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Rosso as you said "reading through the Club accounts it transpires that the amount you said was paid to the 'Chairman' is in fact paid to Eviva Management Services, of which Peter and his wife are partners. It says that the amount covers 'fees, office and travel expenses' and is not therefore just a wage. Sounds cheap at the price too me!"

Rosso read between the lines....

Why should Peter and his wife they recieve monies when many FOC personnel do it free of charge. Why do we need a management company....

I did not mean the Chairman- Jack Sears. My mistake. He does it free anyway.

Wazza,
    The Porsche club had a person in charge that ran the club, recieved monies yearly as a salary and ran the POC from a nice big house bought with POC money which they lived in.... Its was the POC headquaters...

No member form POC every got to vist the headquaters.....

The POC members caught on and got fed up with the some person running the club and having use and benefit of the POC money year. This went of for many years. The POC money was not all going back in to the club.

Now the POC has a change of person every year or so. To stop this ever happening again.

I have spoken to may POC members about this. They feel the FOC might be going the same way.

Many of you think I talk crap, but this is what I hear from many FOC members at many meets. No names mentioned. I am only expressing their concerns....

The subject is closed now......

4. 964man

964man Rookie

Feb 12, 2004
    The FOC has worked with Sportscar Guides Ltd over nearly a year to produce a set of independent model and buyers guides for precisely this purpose. By working with members, trade experts and others, including QV, a series of 16 Guides, up to 14 pages long in full glorious technicolour, is available 24 hours a day at www.sportscarguides.com.

These have been flagged up by Christian on the website since they were launched, with regular updates when new Guides were published, and the current edition of Ferrari News contains an editorial piece plus an half page advert in the Supplement which everyone receives.

What more could you want for availability, independence and convenience?

5. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I do not wish to drag this issue out, when I was originally looking, I could not find any info, or any way of contacting the club directly to get some advice.
    I have just looked on the FOC site and still cannot see any reference to the site you mentioned.

When one is spending alot of money on a car like this a bit of helpful and friendly advice is always welcome.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I bought the 355 guide from sportcaguide.com after i bought my 355 as it wasn't availiable at the time-3 yrs ago.Found it very comprehensive with loads of detail on model differences, dates of model intro, etc.Price guide was a bit on the high side, but prob. reflected market when it was published.All in all , well worth 8 quid.
    Tony

7. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    No disrespect Phil, but why not just call the Club office? Their phone number is in all the mags, there are 'contact us' buttons everywhere on their website.

I did when I was looking to buy my Ferrari and Peter couldn't have been any more helpful, he even sent me loads of photocopies of roadtests of the tipo i was thinking of. And I suspect it's not even his job to run a used-car advisory service.....

BTW I have seen the Sportscar Guides website linked in at least five or six places from the FOC site.

Badge

8. ferrari_e_basta

ferrari_e_basta Karting
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    nr Nurburgring, GER
    Full Name:
    Helmut Schnug

9. ferrari_e_basta

ferrari_e_basta Karting
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    nr Nurburgring, GER
    Full Name:
    Helmut Schnug
    You should become a member of the parliament if you like to express other people's concerns. They have a mouth to express their viewpoints and maybe
    they will find a way to contact the CLUB by phone, letter, fax, email.......

I don't think it needs any comments about the difference of the full time job of Peter/Suzanne and the active FOC members who do it for free. (with all my respects and big THANK YOU for their contribution).

Anonymous thoughts...this means nothing to me.

Helmut
    Classics in Camera

10. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George

If you are such a huge fan of the Ferrari owners club,why don't you get off YOUR backside,and instead of spouting off from Germany get yourself over here and help organise all these fantastic events etc.Kenyon is expressing the views of many.we all have opinions,and I happen to agree with him.

11. GOS 348

GOS 348 Karting

Jan 17, 2004
    Edenbridge, Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris Gosling
    From the response it appears Kenyon is speaking for two of you.

FOC is about representing all ferrari owners and enthusiasts, whether that be the 'old guard' who own the real Ferrari Heritage that they bring out at track days, concours etc. or those with more modern machinery who want to cruise around and be seen. What it is not for is those who only seem to want to brag about their possession and do not respect that Ferrari enthusiasts and owners are of all ages and backgrounds.

As for what the club does for our membership fee, I consider I get great value for money from the magazines, the track days and competition meetings. I would not do Peter Everinghams job for the fee (including expenses) he gets paid. He is always available, runs the best organised track days in the country and is listening to what the owners are saying (or winging in some cases). After all he has listened to the Kent boys and has made the monthly meets happen.

If any of you don't like what the club does, get out but I won't be joining any saddo, whinging break away club.

12. ferrari_e_basta

ferrari_e_basta Karting
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    nr Nurburgring, GER
    Full Name:
    Helmut Schnug
    First of all, Simon, I'm not only a "fan" of the FOC but also a member since many years and I'm able to look behind the lines.

Secondly, how would you react if somebody would post the efficiency and quality of your work as a Property Developer and your income details on a public forum like this?

I support the FOC is different ways and know how to get off my backside.

I respect the opinion of fellow members and don't have a problem with that, but I dislike reading some incorrect or incomplete postings on a public forum.
    That's why I'm spouting off from Germany.

BTW: I also know how to organize a Ferrari event.
    I was the managing organizer of a well respected and highly recommended Ferrari event at the Nürburgring 2003. Beside other things, I organized the entry of 275 Ferraris (~50 of them classic ones with a s/n up to 16000), no less than 23 Ferrari-Formula-One cars (which was a record), a superb Concours d'Elegance and all the MEDIA coverage.

Helmut
    Classics in Camera

13. ferrari_e_basta

ferrari_e_basta Karting
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    nr Nurburgring, GER
    Full Name:
    Helmut Schnug
    Hello Chris

very wise words indeed.

Peter E. works very hard to my mind. I don't know if you've been to the office. So much for Peter benefiting from a big house - in fact much of HIS house is turned over to the club office AT NO CHARGE.

Helmut
    Classics in Camera

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Simon thanks for sticking up for me.

All you guys that disagree with me thats fine, no problems with that, but it seems to be a problem to you guys if I express myself.

I can and will express my thoughts freely on this public forum if I wish.

I have my thoughts on the matter and many others feel the same and many do not. This is OK and no problem to me.The club is there for everyone that owns and has a passion about ferrari cars.

The trackdays are great but you can have a cheaper trackday direct with circuit owners. Why that... and where's the free coffee and tea.....

15. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell

I think you are uninformed about what the Club is doing and the issues involved in doing it, and you clearly have made no attempts to find out. I think you find it sport to sit at the PC and whinge about a free cup of coffee. I also think your inuendos about financial impropriety are heading towards libel.

Like others I cannot understand why you would continue to be a member of the Club so why don't you just hand in your notice? Remember the wise words of Groucho: " I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members".

Badge.

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I am a Yank !!!, Load Mouth!!!!, Say What I think!!!!, So Sue My Ass.....
    Subject Matter Closed for good then...............................................

17. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip

18. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, all this thread needs is a bit of love interest and we have the next storyline for Eastenders. Just out of interest, no-one's had an affair with a Hooters girl have they? We could definitely sell this story.

This all boils down to whether £70 odd is money well spent being a member of the FOC. Simple as that.

I don't do trackdays (yet) so for me that boils down to Spring Ball, Concours and Area group meetings and events. To my mind, it is hugely good value, principally because of the people you meet and get to know through it. The events themselves (both main FOC events and Area Group events) work at the level of the events themselves, and the chance to see your friends again. There are 7/8 events I'm down for already, and I'm not done yet.

That's not to say the FOC couldn't be improved, the club forum being a major missed opportunity. However, having read the bully boy stance from Ferrari SpA in the latest Ferrari News, I suspect they would be forced to delete anything critical of Ferrari. Quite an eye-opener that, and not pretty. In that vein, Justin *must* be allowed to express his views; it is not as simple as 'if you don't like it, bugger off' since this creates a disaffected ex-member. I know Justin has had an issue over the price of tea at trackdays, but I can't see how it's worth dying in a ditch for the price of a cuppa. To bring up the club accounts and whether Peter Everingham is worth his salt is on a hiding to nothing. I don't know him well, but I would guess that it hurt Peter to his core; he strikes me as a gentleman (in the moral sense) who lives and breathes the FOC.

19. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    456MGT,

Well put thank you. I want to be a member and ike being member beacuse of meeting new people that love Ferraris. The club needs to be stirred sometimes to get more and improved benfits out of the club.

I would love to be in Peter shoes running the FOC.

20. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    456MGT,

Well put thank you. I want to be a member and like being a member because of meeting new people that love Ferraris. The club needs to be stirred sometimes to get more and improved benefits out of the club.

I would love to be in Peter shoes...