How to save $1,695.74 | FerrariChat

How to save $1,695.74

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gabriel, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#1 gabriel, Feb 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greetings:

I've attached a scan of a recent estimate (name section removed) from a very reputable dealer here in South Florida. The 86TR was actually bought in to remove those single lug wheels so that a tire could be changed.

As the car had been stored for a while, I had them attempt to start it while it was there, but no start.

After examination, it was determined that there was no fuel to the engine; the estimate is attached, however, I replaced the pumps myself with a pair from a TR that had been hit in the front. - $180 the pair, and bought the filters online, new, for $36, for the pair, including shipping.

It took me more than 4 hours, but not that much more.
    Total cost: $216.00
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Congratulations! $1,695.74 saved is $1,695.74 earned!! The problem is, some of us are mechanically stunted, myself included. :(

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I bought a neat little 924 so I could puter around in a bit of a talking piece and also learn how to maintain my own cars. The only things I have done to the car is keeping the gas tank full and calling my mechanic when ever I hear or see somthing I don't like. Is it cheesy to use a line like "I'm a driver not a mechanic". :)

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Not all buddy, not at all....good job, wish you were up here in Toronto Canada to look at my 86TR. That 1,600 u.s is 2,500CDN...good job.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
  6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I did it the other way around, after the 308 I bought a Lancia Beta Montecarlo (mid engine). Trust me, the Ferrari is much easier, and in my case even cheaper, to maintain! By the way, with a transverse engine you never have a transaxle...

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I always liked the MonteCarlo - I couldn't fit in those either. looked like a fun car - an X1/9 with more power. What are they like? Hard to imagine they were cheaper. Any pics?

10. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    From the MC only a few thousand were made, and even though it uses mass production Fiat components, you still get the feeling owning a prototype, undeveloped car.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That's fantastic Gabrie. I too have found out just how much you save by doing your own work. Thousands and thousand of dollars, litterally.

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Don't forget to factor your time into the equation.
    For example,
    If you earn $150.00 an hour, and you have 4 hours tied up in repairing the TR then in reality you only saved $1095.74...

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

You do make a good point.

It would be nice to say that I do make that much, but since it did not cut into my work time, I did not factor it in.

I did the R&R in my spare time, just like I mow the lawn. I couldn't say to my wife that I just did $450 worth of service cutting the grass...

But I wish I could! :)

14. 98TDFSpider

98TDFSpider Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    I, like some of the others, am mechanically challenged and wouldn't have attempted the repair myself. On the other hand, I wouldn't have let my Ferrari sit long enough for both fuel pumps to freeze up. Cost to mechanically challenged, -0-; cost to mechanically inclined, $216.

15. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Congratulations Gabriel, I knew you could do it.
    I had a similar situation on a car I purchased. It had sat, and the owner had a shop quote for $12,000 (yes, thousand) to get it running and road worthy.
    I bought it and sunk $615 (yes, hundred) into the project, plus a weekends worth of my time.
    This is a true story, sad to say.

16. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Nonsense. The car was winterized while I was out of the country for 5 months. Unless your butler drives your Fcar while you're gone?

Thanks SMS. :)