Track Car | FerrariChat

Track Car

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Ksullender, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    What would make a good track car that is non-Ferrari? I'm thinking about buying a car that I can gut and beat the h*ll out of at a track.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ken, there are some cool Renault Spyders around which look good fun
    to drive.

BHW

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    How about Martins Hummer?????

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    ...Not touching that one!

BHW

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Ken,
    Depending on what you want to spend and what you want to drive, there are a few choices:

Spec-Miata, Lotus Elise, BMW Mini Cooper-S, S2000, Porsche Boxster-S (make sure you have good power steering warranty for this! :)), BMW M-Coupe/M3, Corvette Z06

I would personally go for a Lotus Elise for its handling characteristics... they are amazing. The S2000 is a good choice, too - they are fun to drive and handle great on the track. With the right set up, they are REALLY hard to beat on the track. The only faster one (lap times) might be the M3 or Z06, but both will put you in the 50k's.

Good luck!
    Byron

6. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Ken, are you going to attend the FCA Sebring event 4/1 - 4/4?

7. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Byron, I'm not looking to spend $50K, I was thinking low budget, just something to beat around the track in as a rookie. As my interest and experience improve I'll upgrade my track car. I was thinking 90's corvette, 5.0, etc.

Paulie, with my traveling at work I can't plan that far out. I would like to go, but don't know yet if the scheduling will work out.

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'd have to go with an E30 M3 or any E30 3-series. You can pick them up for not much at all.. there's plenty of performance parts for them, and they're apparently a blast to drive... small, lightweight, rwd... I'd have no problem beating one of those around a track.

-R

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Byron, when you get a chance, can you elaborate on this? I've been thinking that a Boxster S would make a neat track car so I'm interested in knowing whatever built-in problems that might exist.

Dr "Zoom-Zoom" Tax

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    ZO6 would probably be the fastest out of the box (and cheapest to keep running). The Elise would be the best handling and with a turbo/supercharger and intercooler you could get it running at a reliable 300hp which would blow away most any car. The M Coupe is an amazing all around track car (the 315hp version).

You can't loose with any of those cars. The S2000 is expensive to get major horsepower out of it, the E30 M3, even with a good amount invested will still be slower then a used Corvette C5, and a Boxster, even though amazing in the handling department, will cost you a pretty penny to get any major performance.

My top 3 would be the ZO6, M Coupe or Elise (in no particular order and depending on what you have to spend).

11. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I went with a modified 911 SC with a Euro 3.2 engine. After stripping the interior and making engine mods I have about the same hp/lb ratio as a 993. I am in for about $18K now but that also includes some changes that were done for fun/appearence and not performance or safety. I still have the suspension to do and then the project will be complete. Its a lot of bang for the buck and the car is built like a tank. I can beat the car all day long, go off track, and it comes back for more. Its also a lot of fun to drive since it has no power steering and a rearward weight bias. Its more challenging to drive fast than in a modern car and that makes it very rewarding.

I also own a Boxster S and I am very active in the PCA. I have NEVER heard about a single power steering issue in this car. Byron - what are you referring to here?

12. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Where? I drove one about six years ago when there was but one in the US. Haven't seen them since. Fun, fun. PM me please.

Rob

Ps, ditto on the Z06. Some good ones for sale under 'racecars for sale' link here www.sccaforums.com. Go to 'forum' link on left of main page first.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    As far as I know, there are at least two Renault Spyders in the South Florida area but not sure if he owners are willing to sell.

BHW

14. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Do you have a pic of what the car looks like, a Renault Spyder?

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm thinking of seeing if I can find a real nice Mustang 5.0 already set up w cage, brakes, supercharger etc. Those are dirt cheap, have excellent bang for the buck & you learn a whole lot about car control in it :)

16. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Noble M12 GTO

17. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    DrTax and Jakermc,
    I don't mean to suggest anything by my comment... While I was at my last track weekend in Buttonwillow, I spent some time in the paddocks with a group of regulars that race Vipers and Porsche Boxsters. They told me that the Boxster-S was a great handling car, especially with nice coil-overs and right tires and exhaust... however, they blew out their power-steering on 2 different cars over 4x!!

So, that was only based on their experience that I mentioned that... I don't own a boxster and don't know if this actually happens...

but I do want to own an Elise Motorsport...it's like cutting butter with a hot scalpel. ;)

Ken, go with a used E36 M3...I have one and they are well built for production vehicles. Good for the money. If not, there are plenty of other options out there. go with gut feel. :)

Byron

18. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    I had a 85 5.0 coupe race car about 10 years ago. Great point and shoot car. A bit lively in the rear end, but once you get used to it it is an excellent tool for pushing the guy further out on that outside line.

Parts are inexpensive and readily availible. Once had to pick up a front fender - really it wasn't my fault, the other guy HIT ME! - it was all of $35 dollars at the junk yead and they even sanded and primed it for me (I never did get around to painting it)

It was a great and affordable track car, and provided HUGE bang for the buck. I am not so sure that - absent some significant (and potentially expensive) modifications that it would be competetive now-a-days.

Scottie

19. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Another thought on this. What are you going to use the car for - racing or driver's education/lapping sessions?

For racing, you'll want to check the classes in the sanctioning body (SCCA, PCA, NASA, etc.) to make sure you get something that will be competitive with the cars it will compete with.

For lapping session, check to see who hosts events in your area. Are they private companies that hosts events open to everyone or are they club based (Porsche Club of America, BMW Car Club, etc.) that give preference to members? For example, where I live there are 2 PCA regions and 1 private company that host the majority of the events. As a beginner (Green run group) or Novice (Blue run group) you stand very little chance of getting accepted into the PCA events because the slots are filled with club members first. Thus, buying a Porsche and joining the PCA will give you a lot more opportunity to get track time versus another make and having to rely on the single private company.

20. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    5.0 mustangs require an extreme amount of rear suspension work to get track ready. NOT worth it. Corvettes? Nah. Mini cooper S or Datsun 510 maybe. Subaru WRX? This would be worth stripping out, as would a neon Sr/t.

21. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    What about a 3rd generation 1993 - 1995 Mazda RX7? My friend who is a dealer can pick me one up at auction pretty cheap. I could strip it down and beat the heck out of it. If the engine blows throw in a V-8 conversion. Better power to weight than a viper.

22. Mark308GTS

Mark308GTS Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mark Shuman
    I would definitely consider the 3rd generation RX7. I had a stock '93. When they were new they were the best sports car for the money. Since your in Ft. Lauderdale, check out Pettit Racing (http://www.pettitracing.com/). They have a $1200 package that increases the stock engine to 320 HP (with the stock engine the car did 0-60 in 5.2 sec) and they have a three rotor engine that they can get over 500 HP. The car also handles really well.

What are they going for at auction?

Mark

23. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Yeah! 3rd gen rx-7 with a 13b turbo, strip it out and off you go!

24. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Ken,
    my word of advise:

Take your 348 on the track for some club events. Just get the hang of it. Take some lessons to see how much money flows into this "hobby" and be prepared to spend MUCH MUCH more on keeping the car running than on your purchase price!

I would not buy a stock car and convert it. Costly to get it right and you will never see those $$$ ever again!

Buy one that is already done from some poor schmo who can not afford the "hobby" anymore or who's wife has pulled the emergency brake!

You can find ads out in moroso in the toilets. The bargain trader/auto trader/sportscar trader will probably be helpful as well. You will need a trailer, a truck (348s do not have towing capacity).

Take some laps in the 348 first. Easy and get familiar. Take the 1-2-3 day school at Moroso for convenience (Justin Bell). $1000 per day, pretty muich what a track day will cost you later as well.

I will sign up for a school outside of FL this year. Need some serious improving. Maybe we can go together.

Martin