ear infections | FerrariChat

ear infections

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Schnelles Fraulein, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schnelles Fraulein

Apr 1, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Schnelles Fraulein
    after having a really bad cold/flu for the past week, i'm pretty sure i have an ear infection. i've never been in this much pain in my life.. i can't hear, and the whole right side of my face hurts.. i know antibiotics are used to treat this, but is there anyway to treat it myself..? i'm hoping once the fluid builds up and there is no where for it to go, it will just drain out and i'll be fine..
    f-chat is always great at answering my medical questions.. i hope you can help.
    thank you.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    talk to a doctor, fer crissakes.

some nursing mothers treat ear infections in their infants with breast milk. they claim it works. who knows.

do NOT let the fluid build up and drain - it can eventually cause your eardrum to rupture and you can end up with permanent hearing damage.

antibioitics will generally take care of this stuff. don't let it fester.

sheesh!

doody.

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I grew up with ear infections--in retrospect, I'm glad my folks made the decision instead of doing any "tubes in the ears" etc.

Later in life (College), I would get them about once a year, always after a bad cold, like clockwork.

I don't get them anymore.

Everytime I did get them, Antibiotics were what did the trick, specifically, "Zithromax" that comes in a "Z-pack" (10 days of antibiotics). I can also remember taking Ceclor, Cefaclor, and its invariants.

Antibiotics always fixed the problem, where otherwise, they would seem to just continue. I think you'll eventually get over them, but it will take a lot more time. (Each person is different, though). Compared to the misery, I see no wise choice but to just move forward with some simple antibiotics. Your doctor (PCP) will be immediately able to tell what's going on, and will immediately know what to do, and your pharmacy will have the prescription in stock, etc.

On a last note, there are inner, middle, and outer ear infections, and one of them required once a more physical "wash and clean the ear out with solution every night for a week" procedure...

Good luck, and hope you feel better.

--Mike

4. Schnelles Fraulein

Apr 1, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Schnelles Fraulein
    the only reason i was trying to treat it myself was because i didn't think my health insurance was active yet.. turns out it is and i'm going to the friggin' doctor today at 4pm.. ! yayyyy.
    thanks for your help..

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Get better, Birdie...

6. Schnelles Fraulein

Apr 1, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Schnelles Fraulein

who the hell is NNO?

"why can't we not be sober... i.. just want to start this over.. why can't we sleep forever..

i want what i want."

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

ENZO NNO nzo, it a phonic thing.

Oh, he can be a pain in the butt, but all in all, he's not a bad guy, just too much time on his hands, I think.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Who the hell is Schnelles...? :)

"Jesus, won't you @#$%ing whistle
    Something but the past and done?

"Jesus, won't you @#$%ing whistle
    Something but the past and done?"

9. Schnelles Fraulein

Apr 1, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Schnelles Fraulein
    hmmm.. i don't get enzo out of NNO.. sounds like eneno to me..

but then again, maybe i'm just not cool enough.

10. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    A tool song. Cool.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California