Anyone here in Witchita, Kansas? | FerrariChat

Anyone here in Witchita, Kansas?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by racedecknc, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
  2. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i'm from wichita (live in houston now but my family and friends still there)... why? and i'll bet this is one question that has NOT been asked before on fchat :)

3. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I'm supposed to go visit a friend there later in the week, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him, I'm getting worried.

its even Ferrari related,

Ed

4. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I'm kinda near Witchita... but thats not the question. ;)

5. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    hope everything is ok... is he a ferrari owner? i lived there most of my life growing up and only knew of 2 fcars.

ps - there's no WITCH in Wichita!

6. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    ps - there's no WITCH in Wichita![/QUOTE]
    The only witches were the women....I lived there for 7 years. I remember a tricked out 308 from Ron at Eurosport? Eurotech? and saw a TR that a heart surgeon owned, other than that no F cars. There is lots of money in Wichita though, people don't expect it but its there and hiddend. I lived near 21st and Rock.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Check the KS section. A few from Wichita. I've spent much time there, I grew up about 80 miles North. Nothing like a sewer running down the middle of the city. :)

8. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The only witches were the women....I lived there for 7 years. I remember a tricked out 308 from Ron at Eurosport? Eurotech? and saw a TR that a heart surgeon owned, other than that no F cars. There is lots of money in Wichita though, people don't expect it but its there and hiddend. I lived near 21st and Rock.[/QUOTE]

yep, the good dr's red TR - i went to school with his kids. didn't know about the 308, other fcar i knew about was a 246 dino.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I bet there were 10-20 Ferraris in Wichita, you just didn't know about them. Salina had 4-5 Ferraris in the late 80's and not many knew about them and everyone knows everything in Salina.

10. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I used to live in Wichita as well. The only F-cars I ever saw where at 348 spyder and a ratted out old 308. There is one dealership that will sell used F-cars. They are located at Rock and K96 behind the movie theatre. I looked at a 308 there many years ago, but it was pretty much a POS.

If there are move than 5 F-cars in Wichita, I would be surprised. Although there is money in the town, the demographic is not really there. Wichita is a small town and Fcars stick out like sore thumbs. Like I said, I lived there 5 years and saw a total of 2 F-cars.

I never did see the TR that Greg mentioned, but I believed that it was owned at one point by Dr. Galicia.

11. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Yeah, I've lived in the mid-west for over 13 years and I see very few nice cars. I could count the number of exotics I've seen in the last decade on my fingers...maybe a toe or two. Its true that there is plenty of money here in the mid-west. Its a shame that everyone just seems to buy a big house and a new truck, so much fun could be had... I suppose it is there money.

...I think we might be wandering off track?... why were you asking about people in Witchita again? ;)

12. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    yeah, he has a 512TR

Ed

13. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks everyone, I was able to get him finally.

Ed

14. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    one good thing about wichita is everything is pretty new and the roads are very nice and relatively pothole free, esp in that tallgrass/northrock area. nice flat driveways too!

correct re dr galichia. he would drive it to school every once in a while and all of us middle schoolers would just gawk in awe! that was my first up close look at a ferrari.

ed, glad all is ok...

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    "That's a question straight out of Wichita, Kansas.." Name that movie quote. Bonus for whomever guesses the actor who said it.

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I live in Wichita some of the time and other parts of the world the rest of the time.:) Like Rob I grew up a little north of there.

Future328Driver, to my knowledge Dr. Galicia no longer owns the 87 TR, but I don't know this to be fact. Depending on the years you were living here the 348 spider you saw was most likely a friend of mines. It was a red/tan 1994 and he had it from 94-01.

I have not seen a 512TR in town in a while. I knew I guy who had a 92 from 92-95 but he doesn't own a F-car now.

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

2 360 spiders
    1 360 coupe
    1 355 coupe
    1 355 spider
    2 575 Maranellos
    1 512 BBI that is showroom new(unfortunately). I know the owner and he has had it since new and it has less than 1000 miles on. Such a sad sad waste.
    I see a couple of assorted 328 and 308 cars every now and then.

There are not a lot of F-cars in Wichita and most of the owners are very secretive. However, there are lots of F-car owners in Wichita, they just keep the cars at a vacation home where there is scenery and roads to enjoy the car. There are copious amounts of money in Wichita but it makes for a better business climate if you don't flash it around. Ironically I know many people who look down on "wasteful" purchases like Ferraris but have a nice Learjet or Citation parked in their hanger. I suppose that's to be expected in a town that makes private jets. ;)

17. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I probably was your friends 348. It was red/tan. I used to see it alot on the east side and it would sometimes be parked at the office tower on the Corner of Rock Road an 29th Street by the Olive Tree restaurant.

I think you are correct that there are owners in Wichita but keep the cars in other locations. I would not want to drive an F-car in Wichita.

The only otehr exotic that I used to see on a regular basis was an NSX converted to a spyder. The car look great and the conversion looked very well done. Used to see that car all the time during the summer of 1995. Did not see it much after that.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If there are 150+ Ferraris in the KC area, I know there must be at least 20 in Wichita.

19. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Now way!! 150+ in the KC area! Do you know this for a fact, or is it more of a guesstimation? I need to find out if they have any meets! I had no idea the numbers were so high.

Would you have any pics of the convertible NSX, or a web site I could find some? Amy ideas on the price of the conversion... I wonder if it would hurt re-sale?

20. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Ken, that was my friend. He used to office his company in Terra Cotta Towers right at that corner.

The NSX you spoke of is no longer in town to my knowledge. The owner sold it for a pretty significant loss. Interestingly he made his money from selling dog training videos on late night infomercials. :)

Rob is spot on in saying there are at least 20, however, good luck finding them! ;) Your much more likely to spot a Wichita tagged Ferrari in Santa Fe than you are in Wichita.

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My wife is a native of Wichita. It's a nice place - reminds me a lot of Dallas 40 years ago. It would be a great place to own a Ferrari - there's still a clearcut distinction detween city and country and you don't have to drive for an hour just to get out of the urban sprawl and onto country roads like you do in Dallas now. Who knows, maybe we'll end up there after I've hung it up in a few years. I'm not surprised that there are well concealed Ferraris there. It's a wealthy and conservative town. Very little of the Dallas-style glitz evident.

22. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i agree, if i ever moved back to wichita, i'd love to have my ferrari there. lots of smooth open roads, low traffic, sherriff always driving around with radar gun "on"... of course the downside is that every road is perfectly straight...

definitely wealth in wichita - can anyone say koch? :)